Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

I love the sets too! I moved in June and still haven’t unpacked all my fragrances but Angels Share happens to be out, so I’ve been wearing that a lot and I really love it more each time! And Apple Brandy is amazing! @curlychiquita 

Diptyque's advent calendar is here.

From the Independent

We’ll be honest, our first reaction to the calendar was disappointment, especially considering the almost-£400 price tag. Diptyque is known for its candles, so to find 12 miniature (35g) candles – which the brand doesn’t actually sell separately – and one mini (70g) felt like a little bit of a let-down. We would have expected the last day to be a full-sized, 190g candle, but it isn’t.

However, after doing some more rooting around and properly considering the contents, that disappointment faded away. Not only is there an excellent selection of brand favourites (from baies to feu de bois, roses and ambre) but we also discovered that there’s around 12 hours of burn time in a 35g candle and 30 hours in a 70g, which then makes it seem like better value. Aside from the candles, there’s a selection of travel-size (10ml) fragrances (including philosykos, eau rose, doson and fleur de peau), a solid perfume, a body balm, a hand soap and a set of three Christmas decorations.

The candles this year are

• Étincelles - coffee, chocolate and wood fire
  • Sapin - mountain pine and mimosa
  • Neige  - heliotrope flowers and white musks

diptyque

@pocketvenus, I always spend a good amount of time just gazing staring at their advent calendar every year. Ahhhh. 😍 It looks like a lovely collection of beauties! 

o.beU8oxRHMNv

Abu Dhabi from Gallivant. Have been meaning to try this house. At least it's not another cheap oud!!

cypress, pink pepper, peppermint, rosemary, labdanum
clary sage, saffron, geranium, orris,
cedarwood, patchouli, leather, musk.

o.kvuvJSCsukz

Ego Stratis

Top notes: bergamot essence, lemon essence, mandarine essence

Heart: Calone (marine note), neroli essence, blueberry, peach

Base: musk, cedar essence, ambroxan

I don't know about this one as I'm not a fan of calone at all.

I definitely need to smell ego stratis! I feel like it will be a love or hate for me.

@elise222, would love to hear your thoughts on it when you have an opportunity to smell it. 

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2022%2F10%2Fdiptique-collection-autumn-citrouille-candle-pumpkin-release-info-002

Diptyque has an LE pumpkin spice candle out 🎃

The new scented candle from the vegetable garden, mingles the crisp, green accents of the fruit’s flesh with mouth-watering spicy notes, inspired by the pumpkin pies we all know and love and the delicate flavor of chestnuts.

trudon-felice

New release from Cire Trudon, Felice: A combination of citrusy, spicy and fruity notes, Felice ties citrus and Christmas spices together: hints of vanilla and honey add sweetness to gourmet scents of candied fruits and nutmeg. A true Christmas gift, the Felice scented candle is festive at heart

I'm intrigued by the notes on Felice, @pocketvenus

@itsfi Same! I realized they have another addition to the Christmas line, Spella 🙂

A woody oriental perfume, Spella is a warm amber concentrate: woody and musky notes combined with touches of rose and geranium reveal amber’s many facets

spella_1600x1600

Decided to blind buy a couple of scents recently.

First up, based solely on the mission statement for the company, was Shocks of Love’s Woo Woo Me. Created by a clean beauty small business that focuses on creating aromatherapy-centered scents with skin care benefits, I was convinced Woo Woo Me would be a good addition to my collection. I am a sucker for sandalwood, palo santo, frankincense, and rose water, so why not support a company with an awesome POV? I wanted to love this scent, but sadly it didn’t live up to what I imagined in my head. I was hoping for something that would take me on a meditative journey, like a Clarins or Nue Company feel. Instead I got an incense kiosk at the mall, with no staying power. Is it unrealistic to expect decent staying power for an all-natural, clean perfume? I’ve had some luck with several Henry Rose fragrances, so I know it can be done, but maybe not at the price point of Shocks of Love. Still, if I’m going to try something new and not be blown away, I’m glad I at least supported a company whose mission speaks to me.

AAB094A6-0176-4EF7-AF5F-5282D8962E33.jpeg

Next, I decided to give Lake & Skye’s Santal Gray a try. Now here’s a clean beauty company that delivers! I am a fan of Midnight 07, so I had high hopes for Santal Gray, and it stepped up to the plate! It truly smells like a gray perfume: it’s gloomy but not overly dark. If you like unisex-to-masculine-leaning scents, you’ll enjoy this sandalwood interpretation. Is it something I’d wear on date night? Nah. It’s what you wear when you’re home on a rainy day and want to wear a mood. 

58E2119E-8EED-44A4-8959-62DD58727E62.jpeg

@LCResz That Santal Gray sounds intriguing. 

@Samtian It’s fairly linear, delivering exactly what you’d expect, yet I find it interesting precisely because it’s not trying to be anything other than a sandalwood scent. So often I find sandalwood being “prettied up” with lots of other stuff to make it more palatable to the general population, but I like Santal Gray as is, and if I want to do something else with it, I can try layering it. So far Lake & Skye has made some really nice fragrances, so I may pick up their newest offering, Saffron Dusk, next!

@LCResz - Staying power seems to be an issue with a number of fragrances, not just the clean ones.  Santal Gray sounds like my kind of scent. 💖💖💖

@Titian06  That’s true, lots of perfumes don’t have great longevity and/or sillage, but for some reason clean perfumes are especially short lived on me. Even lines I think work okay for me, like Henry Rose and Lake & Skye will require reapplication after a few hours, more like colognes than EDP, irrespective of their stated concentrations. If you know of clean perfumes with great staying power, please clue us in!

@LCResz @Titian06  Yes, a lot of "natural" perfumes don't last long because they don't contain synthetic fixatives and their ingredients break down quickly, especially very volatile compounds like citrus notes. The "natural" or "green" ones with synthetics do tend to hold out better in my experience but I've yet to come across any that last all day. My favourite "natural" house is Hiram Green - they are decent in terms of longevity and some like Moon Bloom are really beautiful. By no means long lasting though. There's another called Auphorie that was also okay for longevity and had really interesting scents but they don't ship to Canada so I'm not up to date on their latest releases.

Thanks, @pocketvenus , for the info (that makes sense) and the recommendations! 🙂

@pocketvenus I will look into Hiram Green and Auphorie! Thanks! ❤️

@LCResz You're welcome! Actually, now I'm recalling The 7 Virtues Peace Perfume Discovery Set had decent longevity but to be honest, the synthetics were so strong that it sort of defeated the idea of a "green" house for me. I think if you want more naturals, you just have to accept a real drop in performance but of course, I'd love to be proven wrong!!!

@pocketvenus I’ve tried 7 virtues and I agree with you, the synthetics used are too forward for my liking. The hunt continues!

Couple more new releases

Etat Libre has a new one out that may take awhile to make its way to North America, Frustration

15.09.22_LaunchFrustration_1_1200x630

Found on the 9 Rue des Archives, Etat Libre D’Orange explains that much of its inspiration comes from its location. Located on a quirky corner of Paris’ artistic and vibrant Le Marais quarter, the perfumery brand crafts eccentric and bold scents like the Frustration fragrance. A blend designed to awaken the strength of your inner child, it’s infused with cumin and cinnamon and closes on chestnut wood accord along with bourbon vetiver. Additional notes include rhum, vanilla, ciste and vinyl gaiacol

This sounds good, I'd like to give it a try.

Byredo's latest release is Eyes Closed

WhatsApp-Image-2022-09-12-at-2.46.57-AM

an olfactory experience that emotes connection and transcendent, limitless love. Like intertwining souls, an unexpected coupling of patchouli and papyrus enters into delicious collusion with orris butter, ginger and carrot. Candied spices of cinnamon and cardamom invoke infinite warmth and tenderness, like the soothing balm of a kindred spirit.

Seems a little close to Seven Veils but I think that one was discontinued?

The Etat Libre one sounds lovely!

4,231 Replies
testing