Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

Oh darn.  I know I love it already, 

@lyravega

I wrote the company (US site) and here's what they replied: "Please note that AURA has no official release date. AURA is possibly launching during the Christmas holiday season"

Woo hoo! Thanks a bunch, @veronika23  !

The bottle reminds me of something out of the Sailor Moon franchise. It's so pretty!!!

Yes! @spadersgirl I wonder if there's a scepter we can place the bottle into, but then we'd be more Jupiter than Sailor Moon 😆

The main accords are said to smell:

Sweet

Vanilla

White Floral

Woody

Sour

So sad how Mugler is love it/hate it extremes with very close to 60/40 loving/hating it thus far out of 74 people in a survey.

Longevity is shown to be about 3-8 hrs

Sillage is shown to be about an arms length to filling an entire room.  Muglar is known for very bold, heavy sillages.

AURA MUGLAR scent is compared with Decadence by Marc Jacobs especially with the oriental notes and the dry down.  Medicinal opening.  

I got a sample of Decadence in my most recent Sephora order and I absolutely hate it. I really hope that to me Aura doesn't smell like that! :X

Same here. There is no single MJ fragrance I've tried so far that I liked. I really hope Aura won't smell of anything MJ to me, either. That would be so disappointing.

The bottle reminds me a little of Diesel's Loverdose, one of my all-time favorites, so already yay!

image.jpeg

But,as @killersandliars mentioned, Mugler scents evoke strong responses so I'll wait to judge on my own, but I'm hoping it falls into the Alien category (LOVE it and all its flankers!) rather than the Womanity category (omg, I just couldn't wrap my head around it at all, but one of my friends loves it and it actually does smell good on her), so yeah, ymmv.

Oh the bottles are similar. I was thinking of a much more fancy and grown-up version of Vera Wang Princess Mugler does amazing bottles too, I bet Aura is even prettier in real life.

I am in love with the Alien flankers: oud majestueux, extraordinaire, and Eau sublime; must get my hands on musc mystérieux! The Mirror Mirror collection also had gorgeous packaging, very pretty to display. 

@LCResz  @killersandliars  I agree, that is exactly what Mugler is - very strong love or hate! And, that's exactly how I always describe the brand.

I absolutely adore Alien! It is one of my ( if not THE one ) all time favs! Can't get enough of it. I definitely hope this one will fall into the Alien category, aka - LOVE! I definitely don't care about negative reviews as Mugler is so very personal. And, when most people hate it, it turns out I love it. So... we'll see.

@lyravega Alien is in my top 3 for mainstream spray perfumes (along with Juliette Has a Gun Not a Perfume and Coco Mademoiselle), it is a scent that is very, very *me.*

@killersandliars  Alien is very me, too!

I got that really generous 500pt Mugler Angel perk a few years back, having never smelled the scent and I hated it! Something about it just turned my stomach, even just the closed (super cute) little hat box was too much, and I am not particularly sensitive. I ended up taking it back to the Sephora near me and just asking them to take it, I didn't need my points back, it was my own fault for jumping on a perk I couldn't stand.

And then, the same week, I rode a very full bus and someone on there was definitely wearing it!

Ugh... I feel you. Angel turns my stomach, too. I very much hate it.I can't stand the scent for whatever reason. It just doesn't sit well with me. At all.

Interestingly enough, I LOVE Angel Muse! Love it!

Soooo interesting! Because it was the first time I've had such a strong reaction to something, so I am super surprised you felt the same! 

I am curious about Angel Muse, then, if you like it! 

I was honestly so caught off guard by Angel that it made me super wary of any fragrance but my go-to Acqua di Gioia. I've since branched out a bit, and have definitely learned my lesson about picking up scent perks/promos without trying them!

@NotCrocker  If you do decide to give it a sniff, I recommend not to try and smell it right after you sprayed it on ( paper/skin/whatever ). Like most ( if not all ) Mugler, it is so very strong! The first time I tried it, I made a mistake of sticking my nose right into it right after I sprayed it on the back of my hand. Ugh! So. very. overpowering! I did not like it one bit. It was too much for my nose, my stomach, me. After some time, I decided to try it again, and this time do it smart. And, I fell in love! So... Give it a few. Let it vent for a while. Let it settle. And, then see what you think. But, if Acqua di Gioia is your go-to... I am not so sure you're gonna like Angel Muse. But, try it. Hey, you never know. 😉

@lyravega I know this is a long time later to make an addition to this convo BUT the internet is being a creeper and has aligned its algorithms to be constantly advertising Angel Muse to me. I find their marketing hashtag of #hatetolove to be pretttty on point. They clearly recognize that their scents are polarizing. 

I love Mugler fragrances, so I want to smell this. I was reading reviews, and at least two people from the UK said it smelled like hemorrhoid cream. I think Mugler fragrances are pretty strongly "love it" or "hate it," so I am not completely deterred. 

I remember seeing/posting? this a while back but don't recall a date... I kinda wanna smell that one too. That bottle! 😍

4,247 Replies
testing