Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

RE: Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

How is afternoon of a Faun? It's sounds like something Id like but a lot of ELO fragrance end up a little sweet on my skin. Sounds like this has none of that though

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

@Madeline7 definitely depends on what you are looking for when you say something "exciting" 🙂 

A couple thoughts - work through some discovery kits of different lines. Perhaps Diptyque, Etat Libre d'Orange, Le Labo, Byredo? Something along those lines. All are somewhat well known, but less mainstream than some department store finds. They have fairly interesting lines with a good variety of scents. 

I'd also look into Serge Lutens- SL has some lovely fragrances, and a good sized collection.

I also find it interesting to try out some of the fragrances that have really impacted the industry; sometimes that's the newest formulations of old ones (Mitsouko) or getting my hands on a vintage vial (Shalimar) or trying out some of the quintessential fragrances in their respective fragrance families (for example, Mugler's Angel as a gourmand). 

I also like to try out different indie makers once in a while, especially if they're a little different or inspired by something interesting 🙂 

@Madeline7 SL as a line seems to be a bit preoccupied with florals (particularly iris) and rich, heavy (not sweet) spices. If those are things you are into, I would definitely suggest looking into the line.

I'm not sure if you're in Canada or the US, but Sephora in Canada carries the brand, as does Saks IIRC.

If you like clean scents, I'd suggest Penhaligon's. 

@Madeline7 Rose 31 is my favourite from Le Labo, too! 

Mojave Ghost is really interesting. I haven't picked it up, just sniffed it once or twice but I hope to pick it up eventually. Gypsy Water is also nice. I haven't tried the Rose ones but I keep meaning to!

@Mochapj and @jemly are more familiar with Serge Lutens than I am. But I absolutely adore La Fille de Berlin. I also just picked up Sa Majeste la Rose (you might be picking up on a pattern by now haha). Fille en aiguilles is on my list to buy.

Ooh thanks for all the suggestions!  I have tried the Diptyque and Le Labo discovery kits and had a bunch of misses but a few favorites as well 🙂  I love Rose 31 the most - I like the fresh floral with a twist.

I've heard a lot about Byredo and Serge Lutens.  Mojave Ghost sounds intriguing, I may have to check that one out next!  Do you have a favorite from these lines?

I'm a baby where fragrances are concerned, but I want to have all the good smells! Thanks to this thread I have a bunch of little samples on their way. I always thought I didn't like perfume, but it turns out that I do - I'm just very choosy. 

@fairlywell  I am very choosy too! What are you most excited about trying in the samples you have coming?

@fairlywell  I'm not good with notes and always try and figure out if it will smell nice lol.  It's weird because when I was younger I loved to play with this perfume marking set but as an adult it's usually the last thing I get into you know. So I always have trouble figuring it all out lol.  Not familiar with those but did have a quick look at some and the By Kilian Back to Black sounds nice. I had some good recs a while back from this thread and found one I think I really like... there was one sample though I wasn't able to get my hands on and now I think it's gone... I will also wonder what it smelled like. 😄  I hope you find some new loves in there! 🙂

@veronika23 I'm still learning about notes and such, so I'm hoping I like the things that sounded good! Most excited for By Kilian Back to Black, Kerosene Unknown Pleasures, and Serge Lutens Chergui. Brecourt Farah is in there too, along with a couple of Andy Tauer and Le Labo samples. 

Jo Malone classifies Basil & Neroli as a citrus scent. I have the Magnolia star (perfume and hair mist). I have a lot of the Jo Malone scents. I would say that B & N is a light citrus floral. It probably lasts the same as the Magnolia star, depends on your chemistry. I'm a big fan (addict) of the Jo Malone line. I think the B & N is a revised better version of the White jasmine & mint, which is about to be discontinued. B & N is not as green and lasts longer. If you really like the Magnolia star, think you'll like the B & N, too.

Hi 😁i just got the Basil and i cannot say that i hate it but i dont like it either Magnolia is so@different fesh floral but not sweet i am also addicted to the jo malone line 😍which scents are your faves?

Re: RE: Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

Hi MZTM, so sorry I missed your reply. It is hard to find the threads in the "new" BT. I felt the same way about the B & N. It is not my fave, but I would wear it. I try the scents in different forms, too, ie, body crème, bath oil, etc, since some forms are better on me than others. I have a lot of Jo Malone scents. They are starting to or have discontinued some of my faves. I buy them and horde, since I will never be able to get them again. I have all of the Rare Teas, all of the Spring limited edition scents (5), and Magnolia Star are my most recent purchases. I am currently using Black Vetvyer Café with Vintage Magnolia. They were discontinued several years ago. I have always gotten nice comments when I wear Pomegranate Noir. I have red roses, Wood sage & sea salt, Peony blush suede. I really love Vanilla Anise and Nutmeg and Ginger, which are no longer available. I could go on and on... It is always fun blending them to find which wears well on me.  

RE: Fragrance Junkie Central

Anybody tried the jo malone basil and neroli which is the promo now? I have the LE Magnolia scent and obsessed with it but it doesnt last long about 3 hours on me with 3 sprays 😅 any recommendation from this brand?

I sampled the new Elizabeth and James scents today...meh, not for me.  French Grey was a medicinal herbal (although fresh), and Amethyst was very similar to Nirvana Black.

Has anyone tried the new scent SJP Stash?  I'm not one for celebrity fragrances, but I keep reading amazing reviews of this one.  I heard its similar to Le Labo Santal 33 (which I've been obsessed with lately)

Look! Diptyque direct (for now?) - there's also a 5pc set.

Screenshot_20170809-101402.png

First impressions of TF Oud Mineral: much to like! The oud is clean and cool, and there's definitely salt in the mix. It is not a clean-cut aquatic though. In fact I don't get much generic aquatic anything. Instead imagine an overcast beach after a storm, strewn with driftwood and seaweed. The ambergris notes are noticeable as well. This is probably not for everyone but I have a thing for salty marine scents, like Hermes Eau des Merveilles, TDC Sel de Vetiver and Diptyque Florabellio. I was given one of those 4ml sample bottles by the nice SA, and will update if my thoughts change. 

Another nee TF perfume was Noir Anthracite. At first whiff it was very aftershave-y and I didn't sample it further.

This will go very high on my sample wish list then- I share the love of salty marine fragrances @TriesToBoClassy 

Ohhh thanks @TriesToBoClassy! I think I need to find a tester and smell this one stat! 😄

Ok

girls,I love rose smell & peony ....& soft florals nothing old lady" scent.

classy / chic"

now im dying" for the Chanel to reach The Bay counter fragrance dept.

or something like what I'm describing ....I've tried so many parfums

i did have besides Chanel #5 mademoiselle Chance Etc Allure etc....soaps powder body wash...no 5) Ballenciaga  !!! Ex spelling!! I'm sure that was it! Was a second fave 

I got @ Shoppers Drug Mart ( a big drug store chain in Cda) but costly ,like Chanel

when visiting Ottawa I got from Victoria Secret Crush" which I love as a light summery floral

i  dislike heavy woodsy musky scents...lighter is good.   .........HELP PAYING WITH CASH ONLY!!!

Hmm [comma] cant@wait@to@try@it! Dammit small space bar!

@TriesToBoClassy  I wasn't a fan of the scent but I love your description!

4,247 Replies
testing