Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

@MochapjThanks for the tips!

Anonymous Insider

Fragrancenet has restocked Byredo and Tom Ford Private Blends.  There are some great deals. Here is a 30% off coupon code: HPGE6 

Cross posting from the Unicorn Sightings thread...

Recently I've been trying to find L'occitane Green Tea and Jasmin fragrance. I wore this years ago and now suddenly I feel like I need it in my life again. The fragrance has been discontinued and I've seen it pop up on eBay, but for super silly prices. If anyone has information about where to find a bottle I'd really, really appreciate it.

Cross-posting from the Surratt thread:

Surratt seems to be coming out with a fragrance in collaboration with Byredo

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 3.10.05 PM.png

I wonder if it's Byredo's unnamed perfume, and they added the Surratt logo as a favor/publicity thing? It would be cool if it indeed was a new collab 😄

ohhhhh i want to know more

Surrender to chance is having a 15% off sale with the code FALL2016

Where is a good place to get decants from?

@6ixGirl how are you liking the "replica" set?

@RoseCharlie Not as much as I thought I would :S I bought it for By The Fireplace, which smells like creamy marshmallows and sweaters by a cozy fireplace at home. It goes from comfortably smoky to unbearingly sweet within 10 minutes. Sweeter than Prada Candy and YSL Mon Paris. It's pretty long lasting with considerable sillage. But I did not like the sweetness. Jazz Club smells good on me some days, I like to layer with it. But the set just wasn't worth it to me so it's gone back... I might do a rollerball of Jazz Club sometime.

I was looking for the smoky warm wood scent so I went to Serge Lutens Fille en Aigiulles which smells amazing, like I'm standing in the middle of a pine forest somewhere in the wintery reaches of Northern Canada. But its base notes are undetectable on me.

@6ixGirl hey girl! I know that certain redditors sometimes also do "fragsplits" like a group agrees to buy a certain bottle and the person in charge of the split collects the money, buys the bottle and decants the splits but they keep the bottle (I should hope after doing all that) lol.  It's a lot of work but I think it's a bit cheaper than buying from websites that do decants because there tends to be a surcharge...  Luckyscent has such amazing selection of niche perfumes though and you can buy a sample of pretty much anything though they don't decant anything larger than a sample and for a sample it's a wee bit pricey but if you're really interested in niche brands that won't be available elsewhere it's a good way to try them.  I should also say that I've SOMETIMES had luck on ebay - it really depends but at the auctions sometimes you can get a sample set for a pretty good price if the bidding doesn't go to high and some people will create sets from their collection and do themed sets like "oud" or "florals" "niche gourmands" etc. I find that it's worth browsing sometimes just to see what people thought to put together if you're fond of any particular scent category...

I'll see if anybody is doing a fragsplit for Guerlain Angelique Noire, then! It's going up from $270 to $300 on November 1 :S I am so very tempted to just grab a bottle for myself. I adore the glass bottle. It's the first perfume I keep going back to so I think I'm finally going to take the leap. The "L'Art et la Matiere" collection is all going up because a new fragrance will be joining them, just in time for my birthday 😛 And the holidays. I was told that it's going to be a darker, smoky scent.

You're brilliant thank you for your tips 🙂

Surrender to Chance, Perfumed Court, Luckyscent, Etiket

I feel like there are a few others I've used but I'm drawing a blank.

Thank you I'll check them all out! What criteria leads you to buy from one site and not the other? Other than if they have the items that you want. Is satisfactory shipping and customer service etc. something you look for? I'm always so overwhelmed by selection lol

@6ixGirl I've never had issues with any of them, so for me the primary factor is whether they carry what I'm looking for.

i tend to buy decants of more niche, hard to find stuff, so it isn't often I will be able to get everything in one spot.

i like Etiket because they are in Canada and have been very helpful to me but they don't carry a huge variety of fragrance I'm interested in

Not a decant service but I also buy samples from Twisted Lily (and FS perfume) and their service is top notch. iirc surrender to chance charges the most for shipping.

Thank you @Mochapj, @lachaton, @RoseCharlie 

Main priority or me is whether they carry what I'm looking for - then I consider shipping costs, discounts, or other promos. 

Ive used StC, Etiket, and Luckyscent - never had a problem with any of them. 

I love perfume and I collect fragrances, if I am completely in love with a scent and can't live without it I'll buy a full bottle but since I already have so many and I like the opportunity to buy more perfumes in small sizes I love the rollerball shop.  I was so happy when I saw that Juliette has a Gun had come out with a few rollerballs - after buying the sample set there are a few I would have loved to buy - particularly "Miss Charming" but none of the ones I wanted most are available in rollerballs - they have "not a perfume", "Lady Vengeance" and one of the Oud ones but I would have loved to buy "Miss Charming" and "Gentlewoman".  I wondered if anyone else was fond of "Miss Charming" and wishing it was offered in travel size?

Trying out the 2016 essences insensees from diptyque which is "inspired" by Rose de Mai from Grasse. 

I really like a true rose scent but am a bit on the fence on this one. It does smell true to a rose essential oil but not nearly as impressive as last years jasmine. Its definitely not actual rose de mai- would be curious if anyone has heard what they used. Bulgarian centifolia maybe?

their description "on the skin, the scent is at once heady and refreshing, with hints of berries and honey"

I agree with the heady part and it definitely isnt powdery which is a plus. Its more rosy and less green than their roses scent. I think I would have preferred a lighter concentration. I also like my rose more green. 

This wont make any converts of rose averse, but anyone that loves true rose should check it out. 

image.jpeg

@lipstick4soul Thanks for the mini review and for mentioning last year's essences. I've been debating forever over the 2015 EI--how is it? I'm a huge fan of jasmine and my favorite jasmine to date is TF Jasmin Rouge. Any idea how they compare? 🙂

I will have to dig out my sample of jasmine rouge to compare @NarNarNars. If you love jasmine you have to try 2015. It was really stunning and very true high quality jasmine front and center. I bought a bottle and I rarely buy full bottles of anything. I think luckyscent and other places have decants so you can try first. 

I cant remember if it was earlier on this thread or on diptyque but there was discussion somewhere. 

4,247 Replies
testing