Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Anonymous Insider

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

I love Scentbird!!  I've been debating on signing my husband up too, 2 bottles a month of heaven.  Even tho he does get a lil irritated when I spray the garage and dogs blankets with the scents that I don't like!

Another question... anyone order from The Perfume Court before? Thoughts? Especially if you are in Canada... duties? THX!

ETA: What are you thoughts on Lucky Scent as well 🙂

I was really happy with my order from The Perfume Court. I'm in the US though. 

Thanks 🙂

I've only ordered samples from Lucky Scent but their customer service is excellent and at least for samples, they will eat the duties for you from US to Canada. If you are unsure of anything, just call, they're great.

Thank you! Good to know 🙂  I've been looking at the suggestions and it seems The Perfume Court has them all so to save on shipping I should just order from one place.  I will keep that in mind for the future 🙂

You're most welcome 🙂 Good luck!

I'd love the help of fragrance experts to point me in the right direction... I'm looking for a scents similar to Jo Malone's Wood Sage and Sea Salt.  I love that but it doesn't last long... Also looking for something that basically smells like a forest by the ocean during a rainy fall day and camp fires... that clean fresh air mixed in with the scent of camp fires.... I know it sounds weird... I just have this scent in my head and I don't know where to start and how to describe it. I am horrible at imagining all the scents based on descriptions... It also can't be too strong...

Here are some things I like and dislike in terms of fragrances... what I can come up with now anyways.

Vanilla (not too sweet... nothing like vanilla frosting)

Jo Malone Wood Sage and Sea Salt

Pipe tobacco smoke

Fresh clean fall air

Forests

Oceans

Dislikes

Frankincense (I think that's what it's called)

Anything very floral that smells like fresh cut flowers, gardens, etc. (Roses/Lavender)

Anything overly powdery

Thank you 🙂

@veronika23 I've been pondering this one and I knew I'd tried something before that sounds like this... I couldn't recall the name but it just came to me. By Eau d'italie.

Bois d’Ombrie (The Woods of Umbria) is inspired by life in the Italian countryside and the mysterious regal woods of Umbria on a rainy day. The primordial sensations that evoke while walking through the Umbrian forests are reinterpreted in a contemporary, unisex fragrance.

Bois d’Ombrie is a traditional and timeless Italian fragrance, a deep woodsy scent with hints of cognac, leather, iris root, and vetyver, and touches of tobacco, amber, patchouli, myrrh and incense. This wonderful classic, perfect for men and wonderful for women, comes as Eau de Toilette Spray in 100ml size bottles.

this sounds sooo good 😄

I might have to check these out too 😉 they sound gorgeous. I have been looking for a slightly less masculine version of TF Italian Cypress. 

oh I know what you mean @lipstick4soul!  

I love Italian Cypress but it smells too manly on me, LOL.

Me too @Mochapj and I like a "masculine" fragrance for myself. I will let you know if I find anything 😉

Thanks @Mochapj I'll go check that out! 🙂

Serge Lutens - Fille en Aiguilles fits the bill of your lovely poetic descriptors I think 🙂 It's a very foresty woodsy fir pine scent that has a tinge of smokiness to it. it's mostly very cold. A hint of sharpness. Linear development really though. Unisex. Not too strong and not offending. I've seen some reviews on fragrantica that perfectly capture how I feel about it. I feel like I am surrounded in a dense forest of evergreens. I stand on white crystallized ground staring up at the grey sky watching my breath curl into the air and disappear, feeling the self disappearance as I pale in comparison to the dark green trees that bow its prickly bristles inwards to me. Think untouched forests that stretch for as far as the eye can see on a mild day during winter in northern BC or Quebec.

I tried Vert d'Encens but I couldn't dig the drydown. It lost all the appeal of its middle notes (top notes lacked the subtle forest scents and bottom was too masculine for my tastes). I would describe VdE as green but I would not describe FeA as green. VdE has a significant dry bitter incense. I do love incenses but not in this one.

Thanks!  I'll look up that up now 🙂

I'm not familiar with JM's line but if you like Vert d'Encens but find it too strong, maybe consider Comme des Garcon's Incense: Kyoto? Not that the notes are similar but it's smoky without being so intense as the TF. There's some cedar but obviously it won't be for you if you don't like incense. CdG's Hinoki (also has cedar) might give you a fresh, woodsy vibe but you're not going to get that deep tobacco smoke.

Thank you!  I just pointed out a few things I like and dislike.  It's not that I don't like incense... it can be fine... I just don't like what it smells like in a catholic church and can't pinpoint that scent. Thought maybe it was frankincense but unsure... like I think it would be ok if it's part of the overall scent depending what else is in there but yeah I don't wanna smell like a catholic church 😄 

I love this kind of scent too. Some to consider:

• gabriella chieffo acquasala. Smells like the beach in winter to me- or salty air and burnt driftwood (in a good way). According to luckyscent notes include (among other stuff) seaweed, incense, amber, oak moss. This might be my next full bottle
  • profumum acqua di sale (olio corpo version if you can get it) marine, salt and wood
  • Arquiste architects club- slight citrus but mostly wood, vanilla and amber. From their site: march 1930 london- a group of architects gather for cocktails at Mayfair's smartest art deco smoking room....white smoke and fine vanilla

Thank you! Will check these out too 🙂

I would suggest you look at Gypsy Water. To be it is warm, slightly sweet and cozy with pine. 

4,241 Replies
testing