Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly ๐Ÿ™‚

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff ๐Ÿ˜„

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

@Samtian  If the This Is Not A Blue Bottle was the 2018 version that is a white bottle with the blue artwork (1.5), the two do have a note in common: Ambroxan.

If the This Is Not A Blue Bottle was the 2018 version that is a blue bottle with the white artwork (1.4), the common note is: Tonka.

I hope this helps.

@Vmaster  Thank you!

@Samtian 

Tried replying earlier, but was having trouble with the site! Iโ€™m not sure what it is that is bothering you but it is totally normal for people to have sensitivities to specific aromachemicals and that might be what's going on. So some people love ISO-E Super which is a kind of woody, blurring chemical thatโ€™s used in a lot of fragrances but almost never listed as a note. Others loathe this chemical, and yet others still canโ€™t smell it at all!

It also might be your skin chemistry has tendencies when reacting to fragrance. My skin tends to smooth out and sweeten harsh edges which is probably why I like to go for โ€œsharperโ€ green scents and avoid scents that are already very sweet. I have a friend whose skin makes half the scents she tries smell like baby powder. It might be thereโ€™s something about your skin thatโ€™s bringing out the medicinal aspect that is not related to the notes.

Another thing that might be throwing you off is that when a note is listed, it doesn't mean it's the same chemical(s) being used in each fragrance and even less likely, at the same concentration. Most oud fragrances don't have oud at all but try to use different synthetics to approximate it so even though they all say "oud" there is no common chemical or set of chemicals. Animal musks like civet are banned so it's all just different stuff pretending to be civet. In other words, amber might not be what you cannot tolerate.

@pocketvenusThanks for the helpful information! Knowing my luck, it's my skin chemistry lol.

@Samtian, ok I just sprayed on my This is not a blue bott...

@Samtian, ok I just sprayed on my This is not a blue bottle. I'm not smelling medical scent. I'm smelling warm sweet scent. Maybe heaviness on the sweet end. I'm not good at describing perfumes, but this is something I would wear in winter time and then just 1 spray. Sorry I couldn't help you out finding the specific scent of the 2 that you don't like.

Re: @Samtian, ok I just sprayed on my This is not a blue bott...

@Luvstravel  Thanks for trying! It sounds great from what you described.

@Samtian It might be a combination of things. For me, personally, tonka bean and musk are hard nos because I generally hate the sickly sweet scent and they wear terribly IMO, though there are some rare exceptions. I also don't mind amber scents, I generally find them very pleasant, but when they are combined with musk it's pretty much unbearable to me. Same with the Tonka- they become like 1000x worse

@Brutalitops  Awe that's a bummer, I love sickly sweet lol.

@Samtian I mean I'm not here to ruin anyone's fun, but also.... no thank you haha ๐Ÿ™‚

@Samtian, I think I have a sample of This is not a Blue B...

@Samtian, I think I have a sample of This is not a Blue Bottle at home, so I'll smell it tomorrow and get back with you.

Indie Canadian house Libertine has a new release called Fin de Siecle. The notes sound good!

Black Currant Bud*, Egyptian Rose*, Woody Notes, Mossy Notes, Bergamot*, Bitter Orange*, Civet.

Fin_de_Siecle_style_grande_800x

this sounds fantastic

this sounds fantastic

I need to go to the Four Seasons Hong Kong. New collaboration with Frederic Malle!

-90-a00dd

From Premium Beauty News

International leader in the guest amenity industry, Groupe GM has launched a luxury fragranced amenity line in partnership with Editions de Parfums Frรฉdรฉric Malle.

This first range features four generous 40ml products including shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and body lotion as well as perfumed soaps in pleat wrap, available in 30g and 50g. The collection bears the brandโ€™s signature red and is presented on a modern signed wooden tray. To extend the guest experience, additional products are available such as the โ€œEau de Magnoliaโ€ Eau de Toilette in 3.5ml or 7ml, as well as a rubber incense medallion.

The Editions de Parfums Frรฉdรฉric Malle hotel line will be available worldwide thanks to Groupe GMโ€™s global network of distributors. The first partnership with the Four Seasons Hotel in Hong Kong offers an exclusive 50ml format product range.

Atelier Des Ors 'Lune Feline' has just been ordered from luckyscent.  It has been on my wishlist for quite a while.  I am also getting samples of Papillon Artisan Perfumes 'Anubis' and 'Dryad'.  They have great reviews especially Anubis.  And I already have 'Salome' by Papillon which I LOVE so I can't wait to get my hands on those samples.  And I am also awaiting a sample of Fort and Manle 'Confessions of a Garden Gnome'.  It has really good reviews too.

@Cloudburst2000I have a full bottle of Salome and it's really rare for me to commit to one! Anubis and Dryad are also both very different but really excellent. I really love this house! Enjoy Lune Feline and the samples. I'm sure we would all love to hear what you think of them โค๏ธ

Has anybody tried these? Particularly Awake?6775E6C6-ACD6-492E-943E-C7D79697FE8F.png

@Mochapj, There's a discussion of this line over at the Basenotes' General Fragrance Forum. Awake is described as bitter and sounds a touch challenging. It seems like Dark, a chocolate fragrance, is the most popular one. There are varied reactions to Night. One member says it's like the Etat Libre, another says it's full of cumin, and another describes it as rosy?

Thanks @pocketvenus 

Definitely will be steering clear of Night, LOL. Regardless of the possible similarities to ELDO, I dislike the way both rose and cumin present on my skin, so it's an all around no for me. 

I may still try to find a sample of Awake; bitterness isn't a deterrent. Probably not something I'll go out of my way to track down, but if I see it, I won't be averse to trying it.

@Mochapj, you may have already seen but there's an Akro sample set, US$30/6x2ml at Luckyscent. Also, the notes for Night as wisely described as "Bulgarian Rose, Cumin, Saffron, Agaroud".

@Mochapj, I haven't as I'm not the biggest fan of Olivier Cresp's big hits like Angel. There's a detailed interview up on Fragrantica. Have you read about all six releases? They range from fairly conventional to uncommercial. Smoke is described as "beauty from an ashtray." Night has notes of cumin, rose, powder and a "sp*rm accord" that's "almost unwearable" :'(

@pocketvenus That last sentence was not something I expected to read LOL

testing