Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

@IndyQT317 I hope you enjoy JHaG, that’s a great selection! I’m a fan of Mmmm..., which is a unique spin on a sweet gourmand scent. I can’t say enough good things about Another Oud either, it’s a great version of this heady ingredient. I’d also recommend Midnight Oud, which marries Another Oud to a beautiful dark take on roses.

Thanks @LCResz. I thought this was a pretty good purchase...

Thanks @LCResz. I thought this was a pretty good purchase too. I'll keep those in mind for sure.

Notes for Beau de Jour. sounds like a reimagining of Moss Breches, IMO6F55F36A-DF01-4938-A4D7-C1B5793E4C5B.jpeg

Excited to try the "energetic hybrid of lavender and lavenders" 😄

I also wonder if the name is a play on the French film Belle de Jour?

LOL I had a good chuckle at that this morning too @pocketvenus

TF is supposedly quite the cinephile so I wouldn’t put it past him to riff on the name of an old movie. Last year’s eyeshadow singles were almost exclusively named after old movies and cinematic terms/techniques 

@Mochapj, I'd love to try a TF version of Belle de Jour, though maybe Beau de Jour is more cheeky. It's funny, I've been meaning to see TF's films forever but have never gotten around to it.

@pocketvenus As much as I may be a fan of their fragrance and cosmetics, I have to say I’m not a huge fan of either of his movies.

visually they’re beautiful but they both seemed a lot more style than substance (not unlike the man, I’d say 🤣)

@Mochapjyou're not the only one who's told me that! I guess I will save them for when I'd like something pretty to look at, or maybe for interior design inspiration ha ha

A%20Single%20Man%20movie%20image%20Julianne%20Moore

A-Single-Man-Colin-Firth-and-Julien-Moore

New from Auphorie:

MUSC OUD MAHARAJA

Extrait de Parfum

Concentration: 40%

Natural Spray (Vaporisateur)

30 ml bottle

$298.00

MuscOudMaharaja.jpg

Notes included:

Real Oud Oils, Rose Otto, Rose Absolute, Jasmine Absolute, Vegan Tonkin Deer Musk Accord, Vegan Ambergris Accord

EXTREMELY LIMITED: Only one batch was made. Once sold out, this product will be vaulted right away.

As with all Auphorie products, this fragrance DOES NOT contain any animal derivatives. All animalistic notes are composed using high quality ingredients of plant and synthetic origin only. 100% vegan-friendly.

Note:

Having previously tried Auphorie's products as well as authentic Siberian deer musk, I must say that their vegan musk really does smell like the real thing! Very pricey due to using real oud oil, rose and jasmine but wow they make some amazing fragrances! Also, whenever you see the words 'otto' and 'absolute' in a notes list, you are getting real extracts, not that synthetic stuff.

-Vmaster

@VmasterI've also liked the Auphories I've tried. This one sounds very rich.

@pocketvenus, It does sound nice and rich! Interestingly enough, the people at Auphorie had written about how easy it is to layer this one with other fragrances.

RE: Fragrance Junkie Central

New scent confirmed - I vaguely recall posting a few months ago about a few trademarks they’d filed for and this was one of them. I think there was also a ‘du soir’ something version IIRC - no notes listed anywhere yet.

roes.PNG

Chopard's new Rose de Caroline fragrance.

Spoiler
Chopard’s new fragrance Rose de Caroline is red and gold and green all over, and marks the jeweler’s latest move to become a sustainable and environmentally conscious brand.

Created by master perfumer Alberto Morillas for Caroline Scheufele, Chopard’s artistic director and co-president, the rose-based juice is the latest addition to Chopard Parfums’ Haute Parfumerie collection, which launched last year with natural, ethical and sustainable aspirations in keeping with Chopard’s overall mission.

The single fragrance launched exclusively at Harrods this week. It comes in the wake of Gardens of Paradise, a collection of four fragrances created by Morillas and inspired by Arabian gardens, which launched in February.

Rose de Caroline is also Chopard’s most expensive juice, costing 550 euros for 100 ml, compared with the Gardens of Paradise scents, which are priced at 275 euros for 100 ml.

Gardens of Paradise and Rose de Caroline boast one of the highest percentages of pure, natural ingredients of any perfumes on the market.

Chopard’s fragrance production is meant to dovetail with its jewelry one, and the aim is to work and source ethically and eliminate waste. During an interview at Claridge’s, Chopard’s chief executive officer Patrizio Stella said the jewelry, watches and fragrances are all on the same journey: “There is one Chopard, one brand, one customer, and our goal is to be ethical and sustainable.”

Rose de Caroline is made from a rare Bulgarian Rose essential oil and from Rose Centifolia absolute, a flower created by the Dutch in the 17th century that has been cultivated in France since the 19th century.

During the same interview, Morillas said the new fragrance is a tribute “to the majestic flower that Caroline loves so much,” adding that the new perfume contains both natural and synthetic molecules, all of which are biodegradable.

He described the fragrance as “unique,” impossible to copy, and inspired by Scheufele’s character and her rose garden at home. The bottle is shaped like a gemstone and the cap echoes the shape of the Palme d’Or, the highest prize that’s awarded at the Cannes Film Festival. The delicate, palm-shaped award was redesigned by Scheufele in 1998.

The juice also contains cardamom from Guatemala, patchouli from Indonesia and vanille bourbon from Madagascar. Cinnamon essential oil, cypriol essential oil and Chinese cedar essential oil are also in the mix. Earlier this year, Stella told WWD that Chopard wants to create “luxurious, uncomplicated fragrances, where you can immediately smell what the core of the fragrance is. Simplicity is the true meaning of luxury.”

Chopard and Morillas worked with the Swiss fragrance and flavor company Firmenich, and specifically with the latter’s Naturals Together sustainability program. Naturals Together was created in 2014 and aims to bring together top suppliers, artisans and natural ingredients.

As part of that program, the fragrance manufacturer partners with growers and local communities to ensure that people work year-round — not just seasonally. Rose de Caroline’s red-and-gold packaging is all FSC (Forest Stewardship Council)-approved, with no artificial dyes.

Since July, all of the gold used by Chopard for watches and jewelry is 100 percent ethical and obtained from artisanal mining operations, members of the Swiss Better Gold Association (SBGA) and other qualified organizations.

“I think true luxury should be transparent and sustainable, and we should be proud about the products that we sell,” Scheufele told WWD’s Global Fashion & Beauty Forum in Xi’an, China, which was co-hosted by SKP. “We should know that children are not belonging to the mines, and we should not be spoiling the planet anymore.”

Rose de Caroline will be made in very limited quantities and will have a small distribution, including some of the Chopard boutiques. No more than 30 points of sale are planned. By contrast, The Gardens of Paradise collection is sold in about 300 outlets.

Asked whether the Chopard jewelry customer was different from the fragrance one, Stella said not really: “Some buy the jewelry — and then the perfume — so they can have the full experience. In other cases, they start with the fragrance as an introduction to the brand.”

I've smelled some of the Chopards, though I haven't skin tested any. This quote seems very accurate

"Stella told WWD that Chopard wants to create 'luxurious, uncomplicated fragrances, where you can immediately smell what the core of the fragrance is.'"

These are not fragrances with a zillion notes. It's not like Le Labo where the name is one ingredient and you smell something else. When it says jasmine or whatever, you are getting jasmine.

In new release news, Atelier Cologne has released Pacific Lime, available now. Notes are coconut, lime and eucalyptus.

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/pacific-lime-cologne-absolue-pure-perfume-P439030?icid2=produc...

Maison Margiela is releasing Under the Lemon Trees which sounds like a 4160 Tuesdays name 😛 From NST Perfume

Maison Margiela's Under The Lemon Trees eau de toilette evokes the fresh, relaxing, and bright scent of citrus trees in Palermo, Italy. Featuring top notes of lime accord, petit grain, and cardamom, this fragrance is finished with a base of cedarwood, cistus, and white musks. Additional notes include coriander, mate and green tea.

New scent from DS & Durga. They also recently released another amber called Amber Teutonic.

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 9.45.42 AM.png

@Mochapjthe notes sound interesting! The Teutonic notes are:

Top notes Heart Notes Base Notes

alpine cedargeraniumaustrian pine
cardamomeuropean larchopoponax
green mandarintemplin conemusk

Thanks to @veronika23 for tipping me off to a new Jo Malone series for 2019

Jo-Malone-2019-Wild-Flowers-and-Weeds-Limited-Edition

I found a press release type thing in a Taiwan newspaper and ran this through Google Translate so it may not be accurate. Words originally in English have been bolded.

Jo Malone London has quickly released the 2019 British limited edition perfume series "Wild Flowers & Weeds" in the UK. This series, which is hailed as the most difficult to grab every year, has not lived up to everyone's expectations.

The transparent bottle is dotted with flowers and plants, and the five cans of perfume are not only visually beautiful, but also can directly smell the nature. Continuing the tradition of creating the UK as a source of creativity, this time Jo Malone London locks in the wild flowers and grasses that grow on the Hackney Canal in London, mimicking the scent of their own blooms.

The "Wild Flowers & Weeds", which is expected to be launched in March 2019, has five fragrances: Nettle & Wild Achillea (Castor and Yarrow), Willow & Amber (Willow and Amber), Hemlock & Bergamot (Iron Sugi and bergamot), Lupin & Patchouli (Lupin and patchouli), Cade & Cedarwood (juniper and cedar)

@pocketvenus  I was interested in the cedarwood but now I saw you said it's juniper and cedarwood... and she already has a black cedarwood and juniper cologne so I wonder how different they will be... 🤔🤔🤔

@veronika23, I'm guessing it's different because the English name is Cade and Cedarwood? So maybe it is a double wood scent, as cade is derived from wood of the juniper tree. That would explain why we see juniper on the bottle and the translated text. Cade is quite tar-like and smoky in scent though, not like cedarwood at all. I was really surprized to see it as JMs tend to be light and airy, even the oud is not heavy.

Thanks for the explanation! Ok now I am excited to try this one! 😄 Thx!!!!! @pocketvenus

1 Reply
testing