Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

@makeitup305When I get a chance to smell this, I'll tag you ❤️

@pocketvenus Thank you! you're so sweet!

@makeitup305, yes I'm hoping they'll carry this in my local Sephora 🙂

@pocketvenus I don't think Sephora is carrying this collection, at least not yet. So far I've only been able to find it online at Bloomingdale's and Nordstrom but no stores near me.

@makeitup305oh! In this case, I'll keep an eye on my local Nordstrom 🙂 I didn't even realize they carried this house! 😮

@pocketvenus I didn't either. I'm not a fragrance fiend tbh but Clean Reserve Skin is the most everyday "me" scent I've ever tried so everytime that I see a new release from that house I'm intrigued. 

Diptyque's holiday candles have been released. From nstperfume

dip-ho-2018

Amande Exquise (above left; red) ~ "A new scent for the winter season, Amande Exquise by Diptyque is inspired by the bell of the bear spirit. Spreading delicious aromas of almond and tonka bean, it is the perfect gift for any fragrance lover this festive season."

Sapin De Lumière (above center; green) ~ "Inspired by a stag appearing in the twilight forest, the Sapin De Lumière candle by Diptyque is new for the winter season. From the light an enveloping scent of fir trees comes to life, warmed by the delicate, neighbouring cedars." Sapin De Lumière is also available in a 150 ml room spray.

Baume D'Ambre (above right; blue) ~ "Inspired by the rising winds, bringing with it the song of the mermaid and the perfume of her pearly hair, Diptyque's Baume D'Ambre strikes a gracious accord between vanilla and benzoin resin, enhanced by the freshness of lavender."

Is it just me or does lavender seem to be getting a lot of love lately in the fragrance world?

Also, if you haven't seen the advent calendar on the Diptyque thread, it includes fifteen 35g candles, one 70g candle, seven 10 ml fragrances, two 15 ml body products

dipty-18

I just received a third email from Russian Adam of Areej le Doré. Taif Rose, a species of Damask rose, is a wonderful tart citrusy smelling rose that comes from Saudi Arabia:

The 4th Collection of AREEJ LE DORE Extrait de Parfum

Dear Fragrance Lovers,

As many of you know, we planned a collaboration with a fourth generation perfumer and distiller from Kannauj - India, the capital of attars. Unfortunately, the composition did not reach my high expectations. So I decided not to release it.

Instead, I challenged myself to create something better, more unique and of a much higher quality perfume. Thus, Malik Al Taif was born.

MALIK AL TAIF

Top notes:
Royal Taif rose and Indian rose

Heart notes:
Indian oud, saffron and deer musk absolute

Base notes:
Mysore sandalwood, amber resin and Siam benzoin 

Have a fragrant day for you!
— Russian Adam (@russianadam)
Distiller, perfumer, founder Areej le Dore 

@Vmaster, thanks for sharing these details. This sounds like a more unusual rose-oud!

Jo Malone is releasing their first men's line in the UK. From The Standard ,“The enigmatic Whisky & Cedarwood Cologne is the perfect match to a tweed, weekend suit,” says Campbell. “Amber & Patchouli Cologne is for those times you want to impress - paired with a navy blue business suit this will complete the ultimate gentleman’s outfit. Invigorating Assam & Grapefruit Cologne is fit for flannel, whilst Birch & Black Pepper Cologne is the finishing touch to a winter sporting suit.”

An SA at Nordstrom told me they are hoping to get them in ---------------------- by father's day! 😂

jo-malone-huntsman-011018-b

I'm excited about Birch and black pepper! it's such a gre...

I'm excited about Birch and black pepper! it's such a great layering base. can't remember which collection is was first released.

Re: I'm excited about Birch and black pepper! it's such a gre...

@sungelly87 birch & black pepper was from the Rock the Ages collection a few years back. I love these rereleases since some of these were only available as 30ml, so now I can stop hoarding and go back to wearing these with abandon!

I popped into Deciem to stock up on some facial oils and learned they will be releasing their fragrance line, Avestan, in Europe first. There are already descriptions up on the Avestan website. I'd really like to try Efahan, which has oud and saffron.

avestan-fragrance-perfume-deciem-brandon-truaxe-1520347604

I just received the second email from Russian Adam of Areej le Doré:

Dear Fragrance Lovers,
Thank you for your patience.

Our upcoming collection is comprised of four fragrances.
They will be offered in new, very handy shaped bottles.

Today, we are delighted to reveal the second fragrance.
It is an old Mysore, sandalwood and grey ambergris focused composition that was inspired by the famous, beautiful Russian lake called Baikal.

BAIKAL GRIS

Top notes:
Russian fir balsam, violet leaf, grey Indian ambergris.

Heart notes:
Old Mysore sandalwood resinoid extracted by Russian Adam, vanilla, grey Indian ambergris.

Base notes: 
Tonka bean, fossil amber, blue cypress absolute, cedarwood, oakmoss and nagarmotha. 

More soon!

DS & Durga has put out a collab with Duran Duran available at Liberty London

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 4.42.24 PM.png

FRAGRANCES with notes from perfumer David Moltz

HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF, 1982. smells like it sounds

“I insisted on this song from the 80’s (although there were so many that would have worked!) The fragrance is animalic and captures some of the scenes in the video – the market, the jungle at night. It is furry, wolfy and badass!”

Notes include leather, atlas cedar, cade, sandalwood and patchouli.

COME UNDONE, 1993. immaculate dream made breath & skin

“A sexy song and a sexy scent! It smells of body secretions – musks, hot breath and possibly illegal substances…….!”

Notes include oil of saffron, coca leaf, geraniol and tonka.

SKIN DIVERS, 2007. love in an aquatic landscape

“Using Calone (a molecule created in the 1990’s) to help convey a drenched love affair.”

Notes include seaweed, blue water, ylang ylang, vetiver and bergamot citrus.

YOU KILL ME WITH SILENCE, 2015. cold, silent northern woods in torment, smoke and ice

“A cold and smokey Arctic wood fragrance. It uses Nootka tree and wintergreen extract to achieve a bitter woody note that conjures the feeling of being frozen out by a loved one in a fight – like in the song.”

Notes include smoke, cistus, ice and incense.

I just received an email from Russian Adam, the owner, nose and distiller of Areej le Doré and Feel Oud distillery.

Here is the message:

We are pleased to inform you that our new collection will be available very soon. The date of release is planned for the end of October, 2018.

We have spent a great deal of time and energy creating this series, and we are excited to share it with you!

We have continued to strive to make our prices as affordable as possible. During this month, we will slowly reveal the notes of our new compositions. The first is Oud Luwak. 

OUD LUWAK

Top notes:
Sinking Sumatra agarwood smoke infusion and an extract of coffee Luwak (civet cat coffee), both produced by Russian Adam.

Heart notes:
Maroke Noir oud oil, spikenard, carrot seeds, nutmeg.

Base notes:
Indian oud, Indonesian vetiver absolute, cedarwood and Sumatran benzoin.

Thank you!

Jo Malone is releasing a new LE scent, White Moss & Snowdrop. From NST Perfume:

Fragrance story: A fragrance contrast. Snowdrop petals peeking through powdery snow. Greeting forest-fresh moss, iridescent under winter sunlight. A warm touch of golden amber, topped with a luminous burst of cardamom.

Additional notes include clementine, petitgrain, neroli, white moss and tonka bean.

Also rereleasing Orange Bitters for the holidays.

jm-wms

Remember when Les Exclusifs de Chanel Discovery Set was released in Feb.2017 and it was available for about 24hrs before went OOS? Well, miracles do happen and it's available again!

Also, I just realized how little comes in the bottles (3.5 ml!!!)  compared to miniatures from Dior (5-7ml) or Jo Malone (9ml). A bit disappointing 😞

Spoiler

The picture here is the one I posted last year, but the description and price are the same.
Fresh from the website:
"This limited-edition Discovery Set features a selection of fifteen exquisite, preciously sized scents from the LES EXCLUSIFS DE CHANEL collection. Presented in this beautiful, signature coffret ideal for the fragrance connoisseur and collector alike. Size: 15 x 0.12 oz.

Composed of rare and intricate ingredients, each fragrance embodies the exceptional art of perfuming and evokes a chapter from the story of Gabrielle Chanel.

Set includes:

GARDÉNIA

BEL RESPIRO

N°22

COROMANDEL

BOIS DES ILES

SYCOMORE

CUIR DE RUSSIE

BEIGE

31 RUE CAMBON

JERSEY

N°18

LA PAUSA

MISIA

EAU DE COLOGNE"

Chanel Coffret

On the same subject, Jo Malone just released a "Luxury Cologne Collection" for $600 with 25 minis. The Neiman Marcus website didn't list the scents in the vault. 

Personally, I won't be buying this one for a couple of reasons, but the price makes a bit of sense when you think it's 225ml total volume vs 52.5 ml in the Chanel, or 60ml in the recent Maison Christian Dior Discovery set (8 minis/$180)

jo malone.png

And talking about Dior, they also have a new(ish) beautiful miniature box.

I got one almost identical to this a couple of years ago, but the box itself wasn't that gorgeous.

dior.png

Update: I got an email from a very nice NM SA with a list of the scents in the JM vault.

Spoiler
Cologne: 
Lime Basil Mandarin 
Grapefruit 
Basil & Neroli 
Earl Grey & Cucumber 
Pomegranate Noir 
English Pear & Freesia 
Blackberry & Bay 
Nectarine Blossom & Honey 
English Oak & Redcurrant 
Wild Bluebell 
Red Roses 
Orange Blossom 
Peony & Blush Suede 
Mimosa & Cardamom 
Amber & Lavender 
English Oak & Hazelnut 
Wood Sage & Sea Salt 
Black Cedarwood & Juniper 

Cologne Intense: 
Tuberose Angelica 
Jasmine Sambac & Marigold 
Velvet Rose & Oud 
Dark Amber & Ginger Lily 
Myrrh & Tonka 
Oud & Bergamot 

In a glance it looks great, but I can't help feeling that they could have done better. If they were going to go all the way with a $600 vault, they should have included at least all of the current scents.

@DaintyDivathanks for the intel!

Speaking of Chanel @DaintyDiva, have you tried the new fragrances?  The Biarritz, Venise, and Deauville?  They are so pretty and soft!  I know there's something wrong with me, but I've never liked a Chanel fragrance until I tried these. 🙂

testing