Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

@Mochapj

That is the huge pitfall of selling your company (soul?) to a publicly traded company. It is no longer about the fun of creating and experimenting with new  fragrances, it's all about appeasing the parent company's stockholders and churning out as much as possible and using cheaper ingredients, because profit.

Thanks for sharing this, @Vmaster! I totally agree, I think Kilian’s Ouds are lovely Western/synthetic ouds and wish Sephora carried them along with some of the other scents. I do not think they are worth $500 😮 😮 but that is another story. As it stands, the Kilians are not affordable for most people and I’m really happy to see a “diffusion” line of Kilian scents, sort of like fellow Lauder house, Tom Ford. With pricing as low as $30, I’m guessing smaller sizes are in the picture and as someone who doesn’t have a sig scent, I reallllly love my rollerballs and travel sprays! Or even better, I am a total sucker for adorable mini bottles ha ha.

But I am also so, so torn. These names. These names are so terrible. They feel out of step, like an old auntie trying to be hip. I also find them gender conforming and vaguely condescending. Some Millennial women are in their late twenties and thirties now. Some Millennial women identify as bisexual, lesbian or queer. Peer houses like Byredo, Le Labo and even the overtly sexual Tom Ford are more with it with their unisex focus in their more affordable offerings.

o.67749

I’m sorry if others find the names fun or clever, I don’t mean to make anyone feel bad. And I know some people will probably think I’m taking this too seriously but if it’s not obvious at this point, I am very serious about perfume ha ha. As a perfume lover, I will try them when they’re available and will do my best to put my misgivings about names aside to give the actual perfume inside a fair shake!!

@pocketvenus I have to agree with you. I am the total opp...

@pocketvenus I have to agree with you. I am the total opposite of frumpy and have been known to be way over-the-top, but those names....ugh...seriously? It's like they are marketing to snickering, lovelorn teenagers, not millenials.

LOL, I'm with you on the names @pocketvenusUnidentified!

I can't say I wouldn't try them anyway, but I think the names are too long and geared towards a much younger audience (and yes, I'm one of those 30 something millennials you mentioned 😎)

Interesting article @Vmaster.  I've shied away from Kilian because of the price point.  I hope Sephora starts carrying more of the original line for you!

@michelleshops They are a bit pricey, but there are those...

@michelleshops They are a bit pricey, but there are those few that are worth it. Thank you, I do as well.

RE: Fragrance Junkie Central

A new scent Deciem is releasing

Re: RE: Fragrance Junkie Central

Sounds interesting, especially as I love inky notes! Although a fragrance for paper makes it sound like it's for stationary 😄 I will definitely have to try this. Thanks for sharing, @Mochapj!

House Bvlgari just recently release a new fragrance (not listed on their website yet). Bvlgari Man Wood Essence Notes: Cedar, Cypress, Vetiver, Italian citruses, Coriander leaf

@Vmaster, sounds good for the summer!

It does! Plus the bottle has a very nice green color.

It does! Plus the bottle has a very nice green color.

Calvin Klein is releasing a new scent called Women, a woody floral built around three principal ingredients: eucalyptus acorns, orange flower petals, and Alaskan cedarwood. Those key notes are blended with black pepper, lemon sfuma, magnolia grandiflora, jasmine absolute, olibanum essential oil, and Ambrox Super.

CK-WOMEN-BOTTLE-SHOT

I'm looking forward to trying this out!

A new Kilian is coming called Dark Lord!

Dark Lord "Ex Tenebris Lux' is a gentleman of the night. Meet him in the most surprising of circumstances and his mystery slowly unfolds: A head-twisting mix of shadows and light, it seduces in seconds with its elegant, long-lasting accords of leather and strong vetiver, its jasmine drenched in rum, and a dandyish entrance of bergamot and pepper. Under lock and tasseled key, a 1.7 oz. flacon is carved with the Achilles’ Shield as a symbol of protection and finished with monogram-engraved gunmetal details. A smiling skull rises like a monument atop a black lacquered wooden coffret, illuminating a display of grim magnificence.

Leather, vetiver, jasmine and rum sound fantastic!

Fragrance Junkie Central

New Fragrance:

"Aramis has launched Aramis Tobacco Reserve, a new fragrance for men. A new interpretation of an iconic classic, Aramis Tobacco Reserve epitomises the Aramis man in every way; alluring, sophisticated and complex. Created as an eau de parfum for heightenedintensity, a masculine heart of bold, tobacco leaf is enveloped by Clary Sage and the subtle sweetness of Tonka Bean. Additional notes include cassis, nutmeg, orris and oakmoss."

Remember ladies, just because it says that it is a men's fragrances does not mean you can't enjoy it too.

I recently received some samples from indiescents but so far the samples don't seem to smell that strong compared to other perfumes I have... most samples are edp, I think one is edt (which is less concentrated right?)  What would cause this? Any thoughts @pocketvenus? Thank you! 🙂

@veronika23, which samples did you get? Sometimes niche and independent scents eschew high doses common "fixative" synthetics and as such, they are more fleeting. Although some definitely use a huge amount of them too! And yes, EDT is less concentrated than EDP 🙂

The two I am talking are Kerosene Broken Theories and Tauer Perfumes Lonestar Memories. 2 that you recommended IIRC. 🙂 I have a hard time smelling them.  I haven't gone through all that I've received yet but the brown paper that was in my box smells more than these two! 😄  I also have another by Kerosene and while it's not strong I can definitely smell it way more than the 2 mentioned above.

@veronika23, if that's the case, I'm really surprized. Broken Theories is an autumnal scent, and in my opinion, too strong and heavy for regular summer wear. Lonestar is also fairly strong although summer-suitable. I'm assuming the Indiescent samples are still little sprays? Sometimes when you apply with a wand, the scent does not aerate and project as much but if you have a spray application that cannot be the issue.

The only other thing I can think of is that the perfumes could have been compromised during the shipping process due to temperature. I'm not sure where in Canada you are but extreme heat is not good for perfumes. I recently had a magazine shipped to me with some plastic wrapping and a part of it had melted 😮 😮 😮 seems like it had been stored against a hot metal edge of some kind.

I'm so sorry you're not getting a strong and distinctive scent from your two samples! I hope the others are okay!

Thank you @pocketvenus!!!  Yes they are little spray bottles. I'll wait until I'm done smelling all of them and might write to the company. It just sucks because I was so excited for these and then I can't smell a da*m thing lol. Thanks again!!!!

@veronika23, you're very welcome and I'm sorry the two samples were disappointing! Maybe try to see if someone else has the same impression as well? If someone else has the same impression it's more likely something happened to the samples 😞

@pocketvenus  Well you said they should smell stronger right?... and the other samples aren't doing well either so I think it might be that. I wrote to them but nothing yet. Ugh. What is it with lack luster CS lately. I can't seem to get any service from smaller businesses.

testing