Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

Luckyscent is stocking TF's Fougere d'Argent and reports the notes as mandarin, ginger, lavender, cistus, Akigalawood, coumarin

They describe it as

... a bold reimagining of the classic fougère, a structure that traditionally revolves around lavender, oakmoss, and coumarin. With oakmoss no longer available, Tom Ford has re-worked the model in a provocative manner, substituting moss with Akigalawood, a Givaudan captive derived from patchouli that has a wonderfully spicy, woodsy bitterness. What emerges from Ford’s confident handling is a scent that smells truly masculine – earthy, herbaceous, and rich, with a radiantly spiced muskiness that billows around its wearer.

If there’s a scent that sums up everything that is great about old-school-meets-modern-cool masculine grooming, then it’s probably Fougère d’Argent. The aromatic topnotes of lavender, ginger, and citrus notes give off a formal Savile Row vibe, with the sort of soapy, minty freshness one expects to emanate from a gentleman wearing an impeccably-tailored suit. Akigalawood stands in most competently for the traditional oakmoss, its spicy, mossy sharpness softened by the buttery labdanum amber tucked away into a corner. What marks out this fougere as a particularly modern twist on an old format is its use of coumarin. Whereas in traditional fougeres, the coumarin adds a dry hay-like grassiness, here the coumarin is taken in a sultrier, more oriental direction, emphasizing the musky sweetness of the tonka bean from whence the coumarin was extracted. Fans of aromatic lavender-tonka fragrances ranging from Gris Clair to Tom Ford’s own F*cking Fabulous will likely love Fougère d’Argent for its bold updating of the fougere structure, but others appreciate it even more for its total lack of gourmandise. Dry, masculine, and admirably unsweet, Fougère d’Argent is for the man who effortlessly exudes confidence, no matter what he’s wearing or doing.

@pocketvenus, it sounds interesting! I'd have to try it on first.  I haven't smelled a cologne with ginger in it before. 

I forgot about LV's men's line. I think I'll try Orage, Au Hazard and Nouveau Monde when I'm in LV next. Some reviews published in Wallpaper below

Sur la Route is Vuitton’s take on eau de cologne, with the evanescent but always refreshing scent of Calabrian lemon – specifically the zingy fruit and the bitter-fresh pulp around it – extended with a special grade of cedar and a touch of bergamot. The green note of freshly cut grass is balanced with the softer smell of Peruvian balsam which, Cavallier says, ‘includes the freshness of citrus and spicy notes of pink peppercorn and nutmeg’.

Orage uses the sexy, earthy smell of patchouli and pairs it with long-lasting top-quality iris, which adds a plush note of luxury to any scent. Though it’s not as stormy as its name suggests (or as woody as the press release describes it), Orage does have a hint of the green freshness that follows a summer downpour in the countryside.

L’Immensité has, perhaps, the most in common with the general run of men’s ‘sports’ fragrances such as Dior’s Sauvage, mainly because it has an overdose of the synthetic molecule Ambroxan. Some people love its mineral, slightly peppery note, but it reminds others of an electrical fire. Here, it’s framed by bitter grapefruit, ginger and labdanum.

Au Hazard takes another classic ingredient of men’s perfumery, sandalwood, using a sustainably cultivated variety from Sri Lanka. It’s a gentle, slightly spicy fragrance, with hints of cardamom and ambrette seeds, which would smell equally comfortable as a day or evening scent.

Finally, for lovers of gourmand perfumes, there’s Nouveau Monde, which uses an extract of natural cocoa from the former French colony of Ivory Coast in combination with oud to create a rich and exotic scent with a touch of saffron underneath. Despite being an eau de parfum strength, it’s restrained rather than overpowering, like all the fragrances in the range.

Anyone ever order from indiescents.com before? Thanks 🙂

@pocketvenus@LCResz@Mochapj

I have.

I purchased Under My Skin by Francesca Bianchi from them last year.

Great service and fast shipping!

If I recall correctly, they only sell animal friendly fragrances (no animals harmed).

@veronika23 I haven't ordered from them, but I have tried Surrender to Chance and found them to be quick. But at this point I need to fall in love with more perfumes like I need another hole in my head 😳

But there are soooo many fragrances out there. 

Thanks @LCResz! IIRC I think shipping might have been high there too but I'll take another look. Thx!

@veronika23, I made an order maybe a year ago? I recall shipping being quite fast. Also, I requested swapping out one sample for another after I'd made the order and they were timely in responding and just gave me both! 🙂 I just wish they carried more houses.

Thanks for the info @pocketvenus! Good to know 🙂

@veronika23 only once for some samples and a hard to find perfume.

I didn't have any serious issues but the perfume wasn't padded very well in the shipping box.

Thanks  @Mochapj! 🙂  Thinking of maybe getting samples from there... the shipping seems lower.  I can't believe it's like 20$ USD to ship samples from The Perfumed Court. 😒😒😒

@veronika23, I know US$20?? Come on! I'm afraid Surrender to Chance is the same price, it's brutal.

yeah it's ridiculous @pocketvenus!  I ended up going with indiescents.com. They didn't have everything I wanted but some... guess the rest will have to wait.

@pocketvenus I checked and Surrender to Chance is $3.95 for regular USPS shipping in the US, $19.95 to Canada https://surrendertochance dot com/shipping/

@LCResz they're talking about shipping to Canada 😉

Got it @Mochapj! Amended my comment!

LEMPICKA HOMME 

lempicka homme

ivy, absinthe, licorice, anise 
violet flowers, violet wood, Orgeat syrup, rum 
cedarwood, rockrose, vanilla, musk

Sorry, duplicate.

Guerlain - Musc Noble

Guerlain has launched Musc Noble, a new limited distribution unisex fragrance

Musc Noble joins the Les Absolus d’Orient series, and follows 2017's Oud Essentiel.

Musc Noble is a floral woody musk, and was developed by Guerlain house perfume Thierry Wasser.

The notes include saffron, pink pepper, geranium, rose, cedar, cistus, white amber and musk.

RE: Fragrance Junkie Central

New Serge Lutens scent coming Notes: egyptian balsam, resin, fruity notes

testing