Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

It's like two completely different fragrances on me, @pocketvenus  ! The opening, and the drydown. I don't remember that ever happened to me before ( even though it happens with other Muglers, too. Just not so drastically. ). Or, not to that extent, anyway.

The opening is so strong, and kind of too much for me, as well. But, it doesn't bother me like, for example, TF's new vanilla fragrance. That one I had to scrub off of me right away as I couldn't deal with that strong burst of rich, way too sweet, overpowering, suffocating vanilla. So, I totally understand you when you say it was too much for you. This one is strong, and I don't particularly like it ( it's interesting, though ), but it doesn't really bother me. Much. I can leave it on and wait to see what will happen, if you know what I mean. But, I am not really a fan.

But, that drydown! Sooo, nice! And, completely different than the opening. If the opening were something more along those lines, it would be something I'd consider buying. I really like it. It's like, at the beginning, all those loud and beasty notes don't know how to get along and play nicely together. They are just loud and wild, each of them on their own, screaming and trying to be the loudest. And then later on they finally come together, mellow out, and make this nice symphony of sensual, well balanced notes. Fascinating. 

Your description is tempting me into trying it again lol. If only I could fast forward that first hour (and more??)!! @lyravega

Ugh... yeah I can see why you didn't wait @pocketvenus

I got it yesterday too @lyravega! I got a small vial. I'm not sure what to make of it either... kinda strong at first... a bit too much for me but it was better later on... I also suck at describing fragrances but yeah felt it was kinda fruity, sweet and fresh? I'm gonna have to try it again 😄

A vial?!! I am jelly! 

One should definitely give this one a few to settle/"calm" down. Opening is quite strong. But, once it's settled, it is quite nice. Dry down on me is very nice, too. 

@veronika23

@lyravega  I wonder why it was different types of samples though. hahaha yeah... it needs time to calm the f down. 😄

Testing out Sarah Horowitz's Perfect Vanilla perfume oil today.

I definitely get more of a powdery, "play dough" scent on my skin so I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. But one of my co-workers complimented me on my perfume today, so maybe it's not so bad?

(I wouldn't say it's bad, just not sure I particularly like it.)

I just received a large order of decants from Luckyscent, as I'm hunting down the perfect vanilla scent for me. Lots to go through, and this is the first one! 

I am super excited about a new release, it's a Canadian company (7 Virtues) and the perfumes are made with natural, organic and fair trade essential oils that support families in nations rebuilding after war/conflict. There are seven fragrances in the line, and they're all cruelty-free, hypoallergenic, AND pthalate/paraben/sulphate free!

My favourite scent is Rose Amber, it's sexy and warm and completely transformed on my skin (in a great way).

Heart notes: cinnamon, lavender

Base notes:sandalwood, vanilla

Key notes: bergamot, rose, amber

I just got one today! Vanilla Woods. Not 100% sure how I feel about it yet but so far so good. It's not too strong for me which is usually a problem with most fragrances.

Finally got around to trying out TF Vanille Fatale and I think it was @lachaton who asked me to share my thoughts once I did.

Notes: saffron, coriander, myrrh, olibanum, narcissus, frangipani, coffee, barley, vanilla, mahogany, suede

First off, I should note I'm not super into gourmands. I find VF to be extremely sugary and warm spiced, in a way that makes me think of a holiday candle. In terms of other scents that it calls to mind, I find some similarities with MMM By The Fireplace (that warm, sweet spice) and also SL Chergui (spiced woodiness). In looking at the note pyramid over and over, I noticed it has common notes with both Tuscan Leather and Amber Absolute. In fact, I think it's pretty accurate that if you mixed those 2 scents together and dialed down the leather, VF is what you'd end up with.

I didn't spray myself with much but it lingers a fair bit. It opened with a really soft, borderline powderiness but it quickly became a linear candied vanilla on me. If I inhale really hard I can catch a faint whiff of coriander (that typically goes curry-ish/B.O. on me) but I get no coffee or barley, unfortunately. 

Thanks @Mochapj! This is one I'm curious to try!

I was really looking forward to your review of this! Thanks for sharing. Too bad it wasn't what either of us wanted 😞 I'll have to go check out how it performs on myself. MM BtF is way too sweet for me, but I enjoy those other TF scents. Just not on me. Thanks for the comparisons 

@6ixGirl would love to hear what you think of it once you’ve tried it.

Im a little disappointed that the progression is basically spicy vanilla to creamy vanilla but on the flip side my husband smelled it on me and liked it so much that he’s insisting I get a full bottle 🤣 so I guess it’s not ‘bad’

Thanks, @Mochapj! I appreciate hearing your thoughts. I am also sad that I can't pick up more on the coffee or barley notes.

Your husband's response is so sweet! Glad he likes it on you 🙂 

@lachaton thanks! 🙂

I was organizing my vanity last night and came across something you might like if you're looking for coffee notes - have you ever tried Atelier's Cafe Tuberosa? I was gifted a small bottle last summer and tried it then but misplaced it - I sprayed myself with it again this morning and it is most definitely a coffee and spiced gourmand, with the twist of some haunting white florals.

If you end up trying it, do let me know what you think? 

@Mochapj No, I haven't tried it yet. I haven't been impressed with AC's offerings lately, so I had skipped it. But that does sound like the type of scent I would like! I'll have to pop in to my local store to test it soon. Thank you!

I contacted Mugler about our Aura samples... Here's the answer:

"Due to high volume of request for our Aura samples, there has been a delay. We are currently waiting for France to send us more samples so we may send those out to our remaining customers towards the beginning of February."

@veronika23 @pixiedust2

There's an Aura sample in Sephora's Vday fragrance deal if you can't wait 🙂

2018-02-01-lp-sample-set-vday-02-fragrances-ca-d-slice

@pocketvenus Is that the Canadian version?

@Samtian 

Yes, it is Canadian! I assumed it would be the same for US, but I see the US site has different samples 😮

2018-02-01-lp-sample-set-vday-02-fragrances-us-d-slice

Thanks, @pocketvenus  !

I don't think I care for anything else except Aura there, so... I can wait. 

1 Reply
testing