Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

Does anybody know the difference between Diptyque Do Son EDT vs EDP? 

I tried these both and would say the EDP is darker and earthier while the EDT is sweeter, and to me, smells more cheerful. The dry down was incredibly musky for both. @blackkitty2014

@blackkitty2014 they smell very different to me! I have Do Son EDT and on my skin, it's a slightly-warm floral with no hints of notes from other families (spice/citrus/etc). If I use it as a room scent, it pulls a bit greener/crisper, but perfumes generally do that for me.

The EDT makes me think "tuberose" while the EDP makes me think "iris, musk, spice, etc." ... deeper, more complex notes. It's also overall a lot stronger and really packs a PUNCH compared to the EDT. 

Thx you so much for the response @whitepolkydot and @pocketvenus. I ordered EDP but I have a feeling that I will like the EDT more. Which one that you prefer? I think the bottle will come with the matching sample so I can always return/exchange without breaking the seal.

@blackkitty2014 I think I'm the exact opposite of @pocketvenus 😛 so I strongly prefer the EDT. I'm a fan of lighter floral/citrusy scents and tuberose/jasmine in general. I love that Diptyque includes a mini vial.. I hope that helps you decide 😄

@whitepolkydots@pocketvenus, my Do Son EDP comes today.  I love it.  I have the shower gel sample and love the scent and the EDP is exact that.  I'm a happy camper.  Now i'm wondering what the EDT gonna be like 😉 PS: SpaceNK never sent me the sample vial as described on their websites 😞 Have you tried the Tam Dao ones?

You're very welcome, @blackkitty2014! I'm not a huge tuberose lady but I would say I prefer the EDP because it was darker and edgier.

Hahaha @pocketvenus. I might keep the EDP just because of your description: edgier and darker 😉

@blackkitty2014

My understanding is that EDT means Eau de Toilette and EDP is Eau de Parfum and refers to the fragrance concentration and how long the fragrance generally will wear. Parfum is the strongest concentration and will have the longest wear time.  EDP or Eau de Parfum is lighter than Parfum and is less expensive than Parfum.  EDT or Eau de Toilette has less fragrance concentration than EDP (i.e., is lighter and does not last as long as EDP).

Thx @itsfi. That is normally the case but I read some where that this particular one, they change the notes somehow. EDT is more floral. I was hoping one of our members can confirm that 😂

Hi! I never post outside of "Savvy SHoppers", but I was so excited about this I decided to venture elsewhere. 🙂 Back in December I received a sample of Givenchy easudemoiselle Romantic and really like it, but gave my sample away to my dad's wife. I wanted to buy it, but being available only n the 3.3 oz size for $150, I hesitated. The 3x points on fragrance and the coverfx glitter drops promo (& 7% back from couponcabin) pushed me over the edge today. I had a $50 gift card that I'd been hoarding for years. I have a weird thing about GCs that I don't like to spend them willy nilly because I like to remember the person/occasion/reason that I received it because gifts are special to me. ANYWAY, I plugged in the GC # and it was a $75 gift card!! It was SUCH a pleasant surprise and I'm elated about it. It took care of half the cost of the perfume. I cannot wait to receive it. 

Nice! It's like finding an extra $20 in your pocket you forgot about 🙂 @KMart919

Is it bad that I want to place an order at Aedes just for the gift box?  It is so delightfully gothic.  But I cannot justify this with Twisted Lily having a flash sale today.

cropped email imagecropped email image

I was intrigued by the line of Forte & Manle fragrances, which I only just heard of, mostly for the bottles and descriptions. 

I'm wearing a sample of Charlatan today, which by now has faded (applied at 8am this morning) - I like it, but don't love it sadly. I was hoping for more, but mostly this one smelled like smoky amber on me. No chocolate or pear for me!

charlatan.JPG"Grand beginnings. Green pastures abound.

Plans hatched, ideals, maps, goals, rose-tinted hue, utopian dreams…bliss.
Tables turned. Untruths awash. Snake oil, Jack’s beans, unattainable mirage. 
Thread unravelling. Pandora’s box. Melancholic brood. Grey descent.
If I can’t have her…then no one will."

A floral gourmand pushed to the best of their extremes, Charlatan begins with the soft seductive sweetness of Pear dipped in Chocolate, teased with the earthy and titillating carnal severity of luscious black Perigord Truffle. This is moved into a blissful interlude of exotic, balmy florals with all of their delightful natural oiliness present: Damascene RoseJasmine from the spicy exotica of Morocco, and the leathery bounce of Osmanthus. This sinful symphony is enriched and saturated with Madagascan Vanilla Bean, spicy Sandalwood from West Australia and rounded out with Himalayan Amber.

Ooo, a truffle note! I just made truffle pasta today and it's such a distinct scent 🙂

Ohhhh that is a nice bottle @lachaton!

Not entirely perfume related, but Atelier does have candles for sale on Sephora now.

https://www.sephora.com/product/bois-montmartre-candle-P428825?skuId=2048718&icid2=atelier_cologne_w...

Malle is releasing a new fragrance called Music for a While described thusly:

This scent is what the fragrance industry categorizes as an “oriental perfume”— composed around lavender and blended with alluring patchouli, amber, and vanilla notes. This warm but sharp composition alludes to life’s varied moments of impulse and seduction with Parisian sophistication intact, bien sur. And when asked what imagery came to his mind when creating this scent he says, "those who admire Helmut Newton's photographs will be familiar with this perfume’s effect."

To be honest, I like this house but am feeling rather... skeptical? Ever since Lauder bought Malle, I feel like the scents have not been as exciting as the older ones although maybe I'm just prejudiced... But certainly Tom Ford (also a Lauder company) has just been churning new scents out at a breakneck pace. The house is starting to feel deeply cynical to me now.

My Mugler Aura sample has finally arrived. I kind of like it. Actually, I guess it is not nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be judging by the notes. I wish I had more of it so I can test it over a few days and see what I really think about it. But, it is one of those peel-me, foiled, things where you can basically just take a sniff, not even really apply to your skin. Or, not enough for real testing, anyway. 

I don't even know how to describe this one. It is different, alright. It's also very Mugler. Intriguing. Definitely an acquired taste. It's green, it's fresh, herbal, with touch of sweetness, touch of vanilla, something floral... I think I actually smell violets? Bit powdery. Kind of soapy underneath. Musky. As it dries down, it becomes woody, too. It's... exotic. I kind of like it. Just not sure if I like it enough to actually buy it. I need a real sample to test this further.

@lyravega I tried it the other day and I agree with every single thing you said. The opening was herbal, sweet and a little minty, slightly overpowering to me but interesting. I kept reaching for my wrist to smell it and try to figure it out. The dry down, like you said, is like a totally different perfume. Less cloyingly sweet, warmer, slightly vanilla and lasted a long time on me. If they every put out a rollerball or spray I might buy it for days I feel "mysterious".

I got an unfamiliar, cool (as in temperature) and medicinal/menthol thread snaking its way through the scent that was really unique. I'm afraid I didn't wait for the drydown, it was way too much for me! 

@lyravega@veronika23

3 Replies
testing