Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

I would love to visit there someday! Thanks for sharing pics 🙂

@sister13 Very fancy looking.  How was the Bubblegum Chic fragrance?

Jo Malone is giving out free samples of their new English oak line. Check their website 😊IMG_3489.PNG

OMG I wonder if this is Canada too! Thanks @Madeline7 🙂

Thanks @lachaton I just tried too 😞

Sadly, I don't think so @veronika23 i just tried to see if there was a Canadian version

Ok fragrance junkies...I want to try some new and exciting scents...what are your best suggestions for something unique and amazing? 

I've already tried most of the Jo Malone/Commodity/Marc Jacobs line.  I'm open to trying just about anything but I tend not to like vanilla or very sweet/sugary scent.  I want to know what your favorites are! 🙂

RE: Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

I also dislike sweet vanilla. It's so hard to avoid it too. I think I'm in the minority but I love JHG Mad Madam. It may still be in one of the sampler kits Sephora carries from the brand. It's Rose based but also very animalic and green. I recently learned that for some people black current leaf smells very metallic. I'm so glad to finally know this. it's one of the notes in MM and it's a very prominent one to my nose. It's not metallic though. It's more that smell you get in a really spectacular lighting storm. Sort of on ozone smell? It really adds a sharp edge to the Rose and patchouli that for me makes it kind of sexy rock and roll. I think Joan Jett or Blondie would totally wear it

My favorite summer scent is sel de vetiver by the different company. I also love fat electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange but the Etat scent is a bit too smoky on me (I love smoke in fall/winter but not so, so much in the summer) and the salt note in the different company's just makes me so happy. I swear I have used almost the entire bottle this spring and summer!! 

Your so lucky in the US!

we in Canada don't get Jo Malone or in the part of Cda where I reside,only Chanel fragrances..soap,bath.....hair mist.

only in certain stores NOT SEPHORA????!!!!!!

i look at the luxury of LA im dying"

though id hate the competition of life there.

never being pretty enough,stylish enough,right costly as well!!!

think I'll stick around here.....if we order from you,there's always duty so $$$$$

to me,not worth it better to wait if possible. If not. 

Accept it move on,find another ❤️

@Mossique  Sephora Canada now carries Jo Malone online. As well as Nordstrom. You can call any store in the country and they'll ship to you for free. Holt Renfrew also has Jo Malone but not sure on their shipping.

Thanks!

but I've no credit card 😰😰😰😰😰

@Mossique @veronika23 Jo Malone also has a Canadian website you can purchase from 🙂 

@lachatonthanks! Forgot about that one 😄  I'd buy there more often if we had the same promos as the US LOL

Etat Libre d'Orange has some unique scents although Sephora does not carry the fragrances that are less commercial (I like Afternoon of a Faun but it's too classical in style for Sephora I think; Attaquer Le Soleil is another I like, etc.). L'Artisan Parfumeur is the same story (no Dzing! or Dzongkha, the latter of which I love).

RE: Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

How is afternoon of a Faun? It's sounds like something Id like but a lot of ELO fragrance end up a little sweet on my skin. Sounds like this has none of that though

@Madeline7 definitely depends on what you are looking for when you say something "exciting" 🙂 

A couple thoughts - work through some discovery kits of different lines. Perhaps Diptyque, Etat Libre d'Orange, Le Labo, Byredo? Something along those lines. All are somewhat well known, but less mainstream than some department store finds. They have fairly interesting lines with a good variety of scents. 

I'd also look into Serge Lutens- SL has some lovely fragrances, and a good sized collection.

I also find it interesting to try out some of the fragrances that have really impacted the industry; sometimes that's the newest formulations of old ones (Mitsouko) or getting my hands on a vintage vial (Shalimar) or trying out some of the quintessential fragrances in their respective fragrance families (for example, Mugler's Angel as a gourmand). 

I also like to try out different indie makers once in a while, especially if they're a little different or inspired by something interesting 🙂 

@Madeline7 SL as a line seems to be a bit preoccupied with florals (particularly iris) and rich, heavy (not sweet) spices. If those are things you are into, I would definitely suggest looking into the line.

I'm not sure if you're in Canada or the US, but Sephora in Canada carries the brand, as does Saks IIRC.

If you like clean scents, I'd suggest Penhaligon's. 

@Madeline7 Rose 31 is my favourite from Le Labo, too! 

Mojave Ghost is really interesting. I haven't picked it up, just sniffed it once or twice but I hope to pick it up eventually. Gypsy Water is also nice. I haven't tried the Rose ones but I keep meaning to!

@Mochapj and @jemly are more familiar with Serge Lutens than I am. But I absolutely adore La Fille de Berlin. I also just picked up Sa Majeste la Rose (you might be picking up on a pattern by now haha). Fille en aiguilles is on my list to buy.

Ooh thanks for all the suggestions!  I have tried the Diptyque and Le Labo discovery kits and had a bunch of misses but a few favorites as well 🙂  I love Rose 31 the most - I like the fresh floral with a twist.

I've heard a lot about Byredo and Serge Lutens.  Mojave Ghost sounds intriguing, I may have to check that one out next!  Do you have a favorite from these lines?

I'm a baby where fragrances are concerned, but I want to have all the good smells! Thanks to this thread I have a bunch of little samples on their way. I always thought I didn't like perfume, but it turns out that I do - I'm just very choosy. 

3 Replies
testing