Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Perfume Posse

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly Smiley Happy

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Apparently it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff Smiley Very Happy

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

I love Byredo, Bal Afrique, Gipsy Water, and Mojave Ghost being my top picks. 

Pros: unique scent combinations, at once earthy yet fresh 

Cons: short wear time (2 hours later and the scent has faded on my skin, but it lasts well if I also spray it on my clothes and hair); low sillage (these quickly become skin scents, so if you like to be noticed from across the room stick to the big guns like Chanel or Tom Ford)

I actually love not-so-in-your-face stuff since I wanna wear them to the office too! These sound like Jo Malones then? JM do not stay on me either. I am really curious (blames Instagram*) Smiley Very Happy

I am OBSESSED with Jo Malone as well, precisely because they aren't overpowering fragrances. The upside to JM is that they are easy to mix and match, so layering them to create my own signature scent makes them worth it for me. Byredo is harder to layer because the individual scents are so unique unto themselves that I hate to mess with their already lovely combinations. 

Since I wear perfume for me (in fact my husband hates perfume) I am happy with the close-to-the-skin nature of JM and Byredo. If you like to tweak your perfume to match your mood, JM is your line. If you like ready-to-wear unique scents that most won't be wearing, go with Byredo.

i can recommend the floral set sold at Barney's and Net-a-Porter if you want to try a range of scents from Byredo and want to be able to reply throughout the day. 6 large purse sprays for $145 is a great deal for this line.

Yes I saw those sets and want 1 for sure but they did not have gypsy water and mojave ghost together in them which I really really want to try. Maybe this holiday season they will bring out a new set which has both. Hear us out BYREDO!

Yeah, Mojave Ghost hasn't appeared in the last few set offerings, so here's hoping! I'm just happy I have backups of Bal Afrique Smiley Very Happy

I got a sample of Mojave Ghost from LuckyScent and I really like it. At first I wasn't too happy, but it wore on me and I love it. 

I just checked out LuckyScent! Looks really interesting. I wanna order all the Byredo samples. Even though $4 for a tiny sample looks a lil too high, this looks like the only way I can try all of them before I commit. Thanks so much for mentioning. 

Trying out the 2016 essences insensees from diptyque which is "inspired" by Rose de Mai from Grasse. 

I really like a true rose scent but am a bit on the fence on this one. It does smell true to a rose essential oil but not nearly as impressive as last years jasmine. Its definitely not actual rose de mai- would be curious if anyone has heard what they used. Bulgarian centifolia maybe?

their description "on the skin, the scent is at once heady and refreshing, with hints of berries and honey"

I agree with the heady part and it definitely isnt powdery which is a plus. Its more rosy and less green than their roses scent. I think I would have preferred a lighter concentration. I also like my rose more green. 

This wont make any converts of rose averse, but anyone that loves true rose should check it out. 

@lipstick4soul Thanks for the mini review and for mentioning last year's essences. I've been debating forever over the 2015 EI--how is it? I'm a huge fan of jasmine and my favorite jasmine to date is TF Jasmin Rouge. Any idea how they compare? Smiley Happy

I will have to dig out my sample of jasmine rouge to compare @NarNarNars. If you love jasmine you have to try 2015. It was really stunning and very true high quality jasmine front and center. I bought a bottle and I rarely buy full bottles of anything. I think luckyscent and other places have decants so you can try first. 

I cant remember if it was earlier on this thread or on diptyque but there was discussion somewhere. 

Thank you so much, @lipstick4soul! I'm always excited to try a good jasmine fragrance, so I very much appreciate the recommendation. I got lucky and am having a Diptyque counter rep at Nordstrom send me a sample of the 2015 EI, so I'll see how it turns out. Just because you mention this year's EI-- the rep says it's comparable to Stella McCartney Stella, and it's nothing like the Eau de Rose. Would you agree with that?

I would agree in that it doesn't have the green element. It may be a bit like Stella when it first came out (which I remember liking a lot more than the current version). I think it may be closer to Jo Malone Red Roses but I would have to dig that out as well. 

Hmm very interesting. I loved the original Stella (the one I got back in around 2006--I think I still have the bottle in the closet somewhere!), but JM Red Roses isn't exactly my favorite kind of rose fragrance, so I'd have to wait till I get my hands on the 2016 EI. Thank you so much again! Smiley Wink

Would love to hear your thoughts when you get it!

I tried this on the other day & thought it smelled very much like Stella (I'm still using a bottle from when it first came out). The black bottle is very beautiful. 

New Margiela Replica scents

Interesting!! I'm intrigued by these Smiley Very Happy 

Oh YAY! Across Sands sounds most promising! I'm seriously curious about Dancing on the Moon O.O

ohhhh soul of the forest!!!

@veronika23

SOUL OF THE FOREST

The spirits of nature belong to some of mankind’s oldest mythologies. Does the forest have a soul: a dryad skipping through the trees, perhaps? An invisible presence vibrating in the very peripheries of our human awareness? Shapeless, silent, and untouchable, the soul of the forest sings a soft melody of tree song, tasting of the sweet sap of the gods. 

Composition

Fresh and vivacious, Soul of the Forest is a bright and aromatic green fragrance resplendent with lively notes of sap and vetiver. Lifted by a sprinkling of spicy and sweet top notes from fruity blackcurrant to pimiento berries, its woody heart is rounded by the leafy twigs of ‘cistus concrete’ and fir balsam in harmony with base notes of Atlas cedarwood, incense, and patchouli. Rooted in an earthy, vegetal sweetness vibrating between sap and bark, this verdant fragrance personifies the forest - instilled with all its natural, woody depth. 

Notes (pulled from Barney's, where this is available for purchase):

• Top: Blackcurrant buds, Pimiento berries, Moss Accord
  • Middle: Cistus Concrete, Sap Accord, Fir Balsam
  • Base: Incense Oil, Patchouli Oil, Indonesia Atlas, Cedarwood Oil

Thanks @Libellules I read they came out Sept 26th??? I wonder if Sephora will be getting these. @candacebt @KatieBT do you know?

@veronika23 Last year's releases (By the Fireplace was one of them) started as Barney's exclusives. They did eventually become available at Sephora, but I believe that it took several months.

@Libellules thanks for the info!

Highlighted

Hello Ladies,

I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the new AERIN rose-centred eau de cologne releases? In Canada they are only available as rollerballs right now but that's perfect for me because I have quite a large collection i mostly buy smaller sizes so I can own different things.  I do buy full bottles but only a few per year, and only once I am absolutely positive I love a perfume.  Otherwise - it's rollerball or travel size for me and as an aside I LOVE that Sephora offers this it makes me so happy!

Anyhow - that aside I ADORE AERIN - everything she does smells beautiful to me and Lilac Path is on of my top 3 full-bottle scents that I wear again and again.  I adore roses - rose is my favourite note and I tend to like rose notes that allow the beauty of the rose to shine through.  I ordered the Linen Rose eau de cologne because I loved the description:

"The energizing rush of sun-drenched top notes scatter like orange flower petals among lemon leaves to create a vivid burst of freshness. They flow through the enveloping warmth of the rose-filled heart of the fragrance: white Bulgarian rose, exotic ylang-ylang, refreshing coconut water, Bulgarian rose absolute, Bulgarian rose oil, and rose bouton. Like the sun upon the sand and sea, a golden glow emerges in the final notes of vanilla and amber. Sun-bleached vetiver adds the final modern note of depth and refinement."

I didn't have a kind of warm but clean rose like that in my collection and I was intrigued to try it.  It was maybe not a wise choice for me to make for myself since coconut water is listed as a note and I'm ok with coconut if it is VERY subtle but if it is prominent the scent tends to make me feel nauseous.  I can objectively say that this scent is well-done and unique, like the line and I am still excited about the other two but I think I may not have picked the right EDC from this collection.  I should probably have picked Garden Rose or Bamboo Rose because the coconut is quite prominent in Linen Rose.  It's well done but to me it drowns out the rose and ends up making it difficult for me to pick up the other notes.  I do get some amber and some vanilla but I'm not getting as much crisp rose, orange flower blossom or lemon tree freshness as I would have liked.  I get mostly coconut water, sea breeze, underscored by a little rose that I know to be there because of the composition but that I can't quite reach through the stronger notes, that, backed by a nice amber and vanilla with just a hint of earthy vetiver as the description says.  

Because of the success of "beachy" fragrances I think that these must be notes that really appeal to people and it's not that I think the effect is not pretty it's just that reading the description I assumed the "coconut water" note would be a VERY subtle background note and to me that is not the case.  That, combined with the fact that coconut does something a little funny to me but I feel like I should stress that this is the result of my own particularities and the fact that I made what was a bad choice considering those particularities.  I can still objectively say that for someone else who does not have that reaction to coconut this is a beautiful, well-done and very unique scent.  I haven't smelled anything quite like it and it is very pretty and summery.  

Anyhow, I really do love rose and i was so excited for this release especially since I can buy it in rollerball so I was hoping someone could help me out and let me know what they thought of these fragrances if anyone else has tried them? I'm trying to decide about whether i should order the other two.  I also don't know if they will be made available in stores or if they will only be available online.  If they were to become available in store I would go down and smell them first but I also don't want to miss the opportunity to buy rollerball sized if they might not be available in a few weeks here in Canada...

So - ladies - has anyone tried these? What did y'all think?

I have no input but I also love Aerin & roses!! I'm going to have to check these out!

I was really excited to try Rose de Grasse when I was looking for a rose fragrance and sadly that one wasn't for me. It was just too faint, and not rosy enough for me. Hopefully these new ones are better!

I think I'll order Garden Rose, that one sounds most like what I'd enjoy.

7 Replies