Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

Anyone have any tips on how to make a fragrance last on your skin.

The simplest method is simply to moisturize beforehand - either by layering the fragrance with a matching dry oil or lotion/cream or with an unscented product. 

Not on skin, but you could also try spraying directly onto your clothes. 

Thanks @lachaton

@veronika23 a few things come to mind

1) layer - i.e. if it comes in a perfume and a scented lotion, applying both can help the scent carry through the day

2) buy the highest concentration of the fragrance (eau de perfum is stronger than eau de toilette, etc)

3) apply it over an oiled base, like an unscented body lotion or body oil

4) apply it to the pulse points

Thanks @Mochapj 🙂 I think there's a cream but the fragrance comes in cologne only... so pretty low right.

Yeah, very generally speaking eau de cologne is lower in strength than eau de toilette and eau de perfum.

I would also agree with @lachaton suggestion about spraying on clothes, with the caveat to be careful that some perfumes can stain, so I wouldn't spray on a fabric like satin or silk.  

Thanks @Mochapj

If anyone is looking for an excuse to purchase a Frederic Malle bottle, there is a bonus 10ml travel spray of Une Rose with any bottle purchase offer at Barneys that can be combined with the fall beauty event.

I believe it's store specific (Madison Ave?) and in limited quantity. SA contact info in the Barneys thread, or I am happy to PM you mine!

Une Rose is my favorite rose perfume 😄 I have a bottle but am super happy to get a spray as well. I am ordering a bottle of Lys Mediterranee, which travel spray I purchased a few weeks ago and am already 1/3 through. I looove salty florals.

Anonymous Insider

Thanks for posting this step up gift. 

Initially, I ordered a Frederic Malle scent online and I callled customer service to inquire about the step up because it was not applied at checkout.  Customer service transferred me directly to the Frederic Malle counter at the Madison Ave store.

This is the step up gift info that I received. If you purchase a 100ml Frederic Malle fragrance and a Frederic Malle Body Butter or two 100 ml Frederic Malle fragrances, you get a free 100ml Frederic Malle fragrance of your choice plus the Love Self gift bag. I do not know if this was a special step up for the last day of the sale or if each SA has individual offers.

I purchased a 100ml bottle and a body butter and I received a free 100ml as my step up gift.  I wanted Carnal Flower or Portrait of a Lady for my free bottle but they were sold out.

top 5 favorites i've been going to lately (no particular order) :

1. BYREDO 1996 (juniper / amber)
  2. ETAT LIBRE d'ORANGE dangerous complicity (chinese osmanthus flower / rum)
  3. EX NIHILO rose hubris (fresh non-cloying rose)
  4. KEROSENE blackmail (my own baby that i frankly only grow to love me and more with time; amber/vanilla/plum/oud)
  5. DIPTYQUE tam dao (creamy sandalwood)

Surrender to Chance is discontinuing their Guerlain line, so they're having a closeout sale. 

All Guerlain is 40% off with code GUERLAIN40

Ahhh and my $$$s are gone 😅

I am excited to own 5ml each of Habit Rouge, Vol de Nuit, Apre l'Ondee, Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune, l'Art et Matiere Myrrhe et Delires.

Anyone here ever heard of Demeter Fragrance Library?

Yup!  I used to buy them when I was a teen.

They have a pretty extensive line of not complicated scents.

@Mochapj how did you like them? Why did you stop buying from them? Just saw dupethat post about them and saw they had a zodiac line which is what grabbed my attention.  I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to fragrances. I just know what I like when I smell it LOL

@veronika23

They are not really perfumes, if I am saying this right.  They just smell exactly like they say they are going to.

So, you use them more like you would a 'body spray'  rather than perfume.  

My fave was baby powder and I used it during the day because I thought it smelled so 'fresh.'

I still suggest them.  The quality is good. They were popular about 20 years ago.  

If I remember correctly the bottles are refillable so you can recycle the glass jars or customize your scents.

Thanks for the info @wheeeee  I hope you got my tags... I found one of my posts about the elf brushes but unsure it had all the info you wanted. I tagged you yesterday and now I can't remember which thread it was in lol

Yes, thank you. @veronika23  I need to respond to my tags. I had quite a few this morning when I looked at my email.

The brushes are really cute and I put them on my 'want list.'  They will probably go OOS fast since Elf is affordable. lol

@wheeeee oh good you saw it... never know.. I think sometimes the tags don't work because I don't always get emails and just stumble upon them lol.

They are really pretty!  Hope you get them before they do go OOS. I'll try and remember to tag you if I see more info on them.

@veronika23 They have decent longevity and my preference for them varied based on scent.

TBH I think I just outgrew them - a lot of the scents are sort of one note (which is fine if you want to sort of custom create your own cocktail)

they are surprisingly good at creating scents that smell like exactly what they say ie the dirt scent smells like dirt, the tomato scent smells like tomato plants etc.  They create a lot of unconventional scents for things you might not expect.

This is true.   My fave I always bought was Baby Powder.  I dunno!  I just liked that scent so much!

Also, about 10-20 years ago.

(where does the time goes?)

testing