Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

I've been disappointed by most of the new fragrance releases lately or they aren't enough to make me spend 100 plus dollars on them so I've been looking for other options. So strange too because the fall winter releases were right up my alley and I bought a few. Maybe this is better haha. I did see Tom Ford has a good mini set. I wouldn't mind a little more Tobacco Vanille but then he's thrown in a Soliel Blanc and so far all the Soliels have pretty much been nose tweakers for me. I decided not to purchase anymore discovery sets since I try most vials once or twice and then they sit there. But I've had a few disappointing blind buys and many perfumes are 100 plus a bottle. With the last new releases I've been interested in I've held out to get a whiff in store and I have been really glad that I didn't blind buy them. So I might have to revisit the no discovery sets option since they are a good way to find favorites. I have  a couple Middle Eastern fragrances and they are more inexpensive and smell good enough so maybe that's the blind buy route to take when blind buying...

@Margalee I hear that. I also buy in spurts. Guerlain has this new Sakura Blossom one out with jewelry on it. It sounds amazing and the jewelry piece is stunning. I got online so fast to buy it...until I saw the $800 price tag. I cried a little inside. 

@Samtian Woo! That makes me want to cry too! Haha

I seem to buy in spurts, @Margalee .  There will be a number of good releases in a row and then nothing.  Like you, I buy discovery sets, but use each vial two or three times then stop, having found my favorite.  Right now, I told myself I have to go through all my perfumes, tossing or keeping, before I can buy anything new.

I guess other than changing the scent a bit I didn't notice how different lotions reacted with perfume. 54Thrones Cloud Cream hibiscus rose seems to amp up the opening notes of some perfumes while some perfumes it just mingles with and gives them a nice kick. I think I enjoy Rose Hibiscus X Chanel Coco best so far. The mix with Eau Fraiche fell flat for me. The mix with Halloween was quite interesting as it took what I interpret as melon and turned it into a rubbery tire shop and for quite some time after was a new car scent then reverted to more of the drydown I expect from Halloween.  Victoria's Secret Love is Heavenly was reminiscent of an early summer picnic at it's opening, almost watermelony when combined with rose hibiscus and to my nose had a floral fruitiness amped up for awhile. Lancome's La Vie est Belle L'extrait didn't perform as I'd hoped. It actually seemed to draw back on the oud notes for me. Not sure what I'll try next.

Vacationed to Italy recently and got my nose on some niche fragrances! Really loved the Byredo line but the two standouts for me were Diptyque’s Do Son EDT and BDK Rouge Smoking. Do Son is definitely for white floral lovers, it’s bright and sweet and projects a mile away. Rouge Smoking sticks a little closer to the skin with smoky tonka and a hint of cherry with none of the medicinal effect. Got myself the travel size to start and it’s just as good as I remember.

1931EF0E-C6C7-4EB3-ACE1-59C58A2F22CE.jpeg

@OlfactoryObsess both those sound lovely!

I also tried 54Thrones Rose Hibiscus Cloud Cream with Banana Republic Vintage Green. At first it was like sticking my nose in the surrounding greenery of a rose bush. I thought the mix really amped up the Vintage Green! Unfortunately that faded within 10-15 minutes and it was the lighter vague greeness BR Vintage Green becomes on me hiding behind the rose of the cream. I just need to find a perfume with the midnotes made up of Vintage Green's opening notes. Tomorrow will be either Diptyque's eau de Sens or Chanel Chance eau Fraiche. It should be interesting.

Trying 54Thrones Rose Hibiscus Cloud Cream and Chanel Coco together. I think it smells pretty good. A spicy rose. The rose cloud cream is more scented than I expected. For me it's a powder puff rose scent. I'm hoping it will moisturize my skin as good as the honey vanilla variety. We'll see.

I've sampled a few newbies lately but the two I'm most interested are no where to be seen.

The Marc Jacobs Daisy Pops are out. I think I like the Daisy Pop version better than the Pop flankers. They all have a fizzy, clear soda pop scent in them. Also Daisy Wild is out. I was curiously expecting/suspecting banana smells since it has banana blossom but it was Daisy OG dna with the banana flower scent. It also has a light green scent to it that I don't remember in Daisy OG. I did enjoy this one and the bottle is super cute.

I did sample YSL Black Opium Over Red again and got enough pencil eraser scent this time that I was having flashbacks to sitting in an elementary schoolhouse! Something I didn't smell the first time. The drydown is more earthy and dusty than Black Opium Le Parfum to me.

Nest's Lychee and rosebud? was very plain to me so I am super doubtful I will pick this one up. I might sample again on skin since the Nest perfume brand is one I really like.

Escada has Brisa Cubana out and to me it smells like a fancy cocktail mixed drink. I enjoyed it quite a bit and might pick this one up for summer. Plus the pricepoint is nice!

Omg, Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium Eau de Parfum Over Red smells like erasers to you?!? Well, I’m glad you were able to sit with the scent 1st before buying it @Margalee 😆

@furbie It didn't the first time. It was a bit syrupy cherry at first. The second try was erasers. Maybe someone contaminated the sprayer, hahah. I am always glad to get a whiff first. Recent blind buys mostly have been regretted for me. A couple I had considered I was glad to test first because they were no gos.

Sampling Chanel Chance eau Tendre EDP. I think it's maybe more fruity and a bit more full bodied and less airy than the edt. I am a bit surprised that the edp isn't lasting as long on me as the edt. But Tom Ford's Black Orchid Parfum doesn't last long at all on me while the edp and edt tend to be all day so why so suprised? Haha. Also scent wise I prefer the edt. I do enjoy the edp but enjoy the airy aspect and long lasting aspect of the eau Tendre edt. 

At 53 I'm a new fragrance junkie, on a fixed income so I'm still sampling.

I LOVE, Glossier you. I know it’s pretty basic but at this point I have every single form including the XL and the candle. It smells different on every person but it always smells like your favorite. For me the top note is pink pepper it’s strong at first and then subtle musky smell is there. Once it sinks into your skin it just smells more like you. I don’t understand how to describe it, it smells like my favorite t shirt and me. Everything about it is a love, I think that everyone should start w the solid and try it. The solid is so perfect that’s how I fell in love with it 

The story is behind the WWD paywall but DS&Durga has been acquired

IMG_0596.jpeg

Anyone else going to nab up the new By Kilian fragrance? 👀 I love angels share and love don’t be shy and I’ve put off sampling Mancera’s Tonka Cola forever now, but what do you think of a cola inspired fragrance?

I was able to test in store, I wasn’t aware this one was coming out! I liked it in forest spirits, I definitely got the cola and some nutmeg and praline. I wish it had stayed that way longer. Sadly, on me, iit turned super cologne-y after an hour or so, kind of soapy. So, despite my love love for Kilian, I didn’t love this one. I still love Smokin Hot and that may be my next fragrance purchase a next sale. Can’t wait to hear everyone’s thoughts. @OlfactoryObsess 

@OlfactoryObsess Hello! It definitely sounds amazing, I want to grab a sample of it for sure. 

@OlfactoryObsess - Apparently this is a relaunch of Bad Boys Are No Good But Good Boys Are No Fun (in case you've tried that one).  

Top:  Lime, cola

Mid:  Nutmeg, cinnamon

Base:  Ceder, vanilla 

I wouldn't mind giving it a test drive out of curiosity.  I just hope it doesn't smell like Coke (or any other pop).  I don't care for sickly sweet gourmand scents.

I hope you like it as excited as you sound in your post! 😘

4,231 Replies
testing