Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

@cianni - That's a great idea!  I've been keeping a spreadsheet for years so I can keep track of what I like/don't like, tried/want to try, have/want to buy, and the notes (I copy them from Fragrantica).  I started my spreadsheet to watch for trends in the notes for the scents I like/don't like.  Now I keep it for the other reasons I mentioned.  Of course, everything is color coded! 🤣

For the past few weeks, I've been trying out some of the perfume sampler sets I got from the VIB Haul (in store). Unfortunately, these weren't available online when I looked but I basically bought four of them at my local Sephora for the free travel size coupon that came within the sampler kit and I've already used it to pick up two of the Maison Margiela Replica Beach Walk travel sprays (and one from NEST). But, I like this so much I'll probably be getting a full size in the future. 

Maison Margiela Replica Beach Walk.jpeg

My Thoughts: Honestly, love at first spritz. Most people on here know that I'm a sucker for gourmand and floral scents but something about this perfume is just intoxicating to me. Although this perfume does have some floral notes (and even a touch of coconut) honestly, I don't really pick up those notes as much and to me it smells more: airy, light, breezy with a touch of woodsiness and water(?). I've noticed a theme in my scent preferences that I truly like when many different notes are involved in almost making "a marriage" or a perfect blend in order to create a unique fragrance and this one smashes it out of the park. The name is perfect, it truly gives me "walking on the beach" vibes and I know that's the whole point of their perfume line but I'm truly impressed at how much nostalgia is packed in this perfume and it makes me want to try their other scents as well. I feel like this is the perfect summer scent for you guessed it, going to the beach yet at the same time I feel like it's a beautiful perfume to wear year round as well which is another factor of uniqueness that is added to Beach Walk. I've been rocking it to work because it's not so "in your face" like my other perfume digs and I've received a ton of compliments. Furthermore, I almost feel bad because a few months ago I suggested to @Mellmars1185 that the perfect "Zodiac themed Pisces" scent for her would be the D&G Light Blue but in all honesty... Beach Walk smashes that perfume out of the park and then some. I truly believe this is the perfume water-y perfume fit for a Pisces Queen so Mellmars, if you have a chance to sample this baby I would highly recommend it 🙂 I give this one 4.7/5 stars. 

Oh my gosh I have been eyeing this one for a while, its hard to shoulder the heavy price point, but you convinced me! 

@Aavvvaaa I hope you liked it as much as I do 🙂 Still using my travel sprays and constantly get compliments on this scent.

@QueenMarceline Don't feel bad! I actually purchased Maison Margiela 'REPLICA' Memory Box Perfume Set and it has Beach Walk in it! I am excited to try it! I also got the DOLCE&GABBANA Light Blue Mini Set  so it is a small set dont feel bad! I am excited to buy both. I like trying new things. Maybe I will find a new favourite 😊

@Mellmars1185 - DOLCE&GABBANA Light Blue Eau de Toilette Travel Spray has been one of my favorites for years! 💖💖💖

@Mellmars1185 Definitely give it a shot and let me know what you think 🙂

I'm glad you like this one, @QueenMarceline !  I'm not a fan...I can't smell anything! 🤣  I highly recommend trying more scents.  There are a lot of really nice ones in this line.

@Titian06 I will say it is quite light compared to what I am used to. 🤣 I'll have to check out more of their finds because I'm truly impressed. Any recommendations?

@QueenMarceline - I definitely recommend the Maison Margiela 'REPLICA' Memory Box Perfume Set .  It's the best way to try a variety of their scents.

I'm going to start working my way through my Commodity Fragrance Exploration Kit. I've already sampled many of the fragrances in this kit but wanted to make a concerted effort to analyze and note down my experiences. The exploration kit comes with their 6 fragrances with 3 iterations each- personal, expressive, and bold (their version of toilette, perfume, and cologne I think). The kit comes with a little book breaking down each fragrance and expression, which it though was nice. Today I'm trying Milk (personal).

According to the website "Milk's warm notes of Skin Musk, Tonka Bean and Mahogany Wood are made lustrous with Skin Musk and White Cedar. Light as a feather, this sweet and caressing scent lays close like a second skin." I notice all of those scents on me. It's woody, lightly creamy and sweet, and a little musky. I don't find it overpowering at all and it's overall a nice, warm scent perfect for everyday though maybe a little more winter-y for me. Longevity I will update, as I applied it really late today.

I'm glad you're reviewing these, @makeitup305 !  I'm curious how the three levels of intensity for each scent compare to each other.

@Titian06 I tried Milk Expressive and Bold the last two days, and they definitely have some differences- both to each other and to the Milk Personal.

Milk Expressive is described as "Seeking comfort in the familiar, this creamy and calming scent offers the perfect start to the day. Cold Milk adds a cooling element to an otherwise rich and warm fragrance of Marshmallow, Mahogany, and Tonka Bean. " I definitely agree with that statement. It did seem "colder" somehow and creamier than the Personal, especially after it dried down.

Milk Bold is described as "Milk's warm notes of Skin Musk, Tonka Bean and Mahogany Wood emblazoned with the unexpected smoky depth of Firewood and Amber. A smoky, sweet, and inviting scent to be worn with confidence." Once again, in my experience the description is very accurate. It was more woody and smoky than the previous two, even after it settled on my skin. It was also the most long lasting, I think, but it's possible that if I added an extra spritz of Expressive it might be more noticeable later in the day (I used only 2 spritzes). 

I really enjoyed trying these out and I'll likely use up all these samples, though I might use them more in the winter time (particularly the Bold). I liked that the website was so accurate in the descriptions since the scents aren't very complex, and at least this way you know what you're getting. They even break down the scents into percentages, and have comparisons between the scents, so it makes choosing an "expression" much easier. 8/10 overall for these three, 10/10 for the website.

@makeitup305 - Thanks for your thoughts!  I was a little skeptical about the three tiers, but it sounds like the company is onto something.  I’ll probably pick up a sample set later this year.

@Titian06 i don't think anyone would buy all 3 but a great way to find a scent to suit your needs.

I’ve been off the boards for a couple of weeks and have forgotten to update my Maison Francis Kurkdjian sample set reviews until @newcarlee reminded me.

I really enjoyed Gentle Fluidity (this is the Gold version), it might be my favorite. When I first apply it I get notes of vanilla and musk coupled with a light floral and fruity hint. It’s wonderful and not overpowering. Amyris femme is much more floral, brighter, and I can smell the pear described on the notes. It’s not a go to for my taste but I think lots of people would like it, it’s very feminine and perfect for spring. 

The last 3 are the Aquas- Universalis, Celestia, and Vitae. Universalis when first applied smells like cleaning products to me- like clean laundry and a little citrusy. It mellows down a bit as it wears. From reading on the MFK website, it’s the musks present in the fragrance that give off that “clean laundry” smell. Not for me but  I’m sure there’s an audience for it. Celestia and Vitae didn’t really stick out to me. They were fine but nothing to make them memorable. Celestia is fruity and flowery and a tiny bit “soapy” but I didn’t particularly like it. Vitae is more warm and I get the mandarin they mention in the notes. It’s fine, but I wouldn’t say it’s anything special. From what I recall Gentle Fluidity had really good wear time on me but I don’t remember the others. 

@makeitup305 I am loving Amyris Femme lately , it’s such a pretty floral I think! Also have Pluriel but I seem to prefer Amyris so far. Fluidity is so nice too, I can see why you like it. 

@Sunnysmom Glad you're enjoying it. I wore Gentle Fluidity the other day and I thoroughly enjoyed wearing it again.

A little bottle of NEST New York Golden Nectar Eau de Parfum 1.7 oz/ 50 mL and a Sephora hat showed up in my mail today (a surprise gift from attending the NEST digital event with founder Laura Slatkin), so I thought I'd give it a try. 

My first impression was vanilla, which I've been loving lately (I'm usually more of a citrus or light floral fan). Then the scent got warmer, slightly sweeter, a little more like a vanilla incense with the amber and musk notes. As the fragrance settles, the floral shines through, and I get a hint of fruit and spice, maybe orange rind, like those clove-studded oranges from Christmas. I like it, but it's definitely more of a fall/winter fragrance for me. I might consider getting a travel-size bottle in the fall.

@txcatx That’s so cool! Such a nice surprise! For this coming spring and summer, I prefer fresh fruity scents, so I can understand your thinking on using this warmer scented perfume when fall comes 

Congratulations, @txcatx !  Thanks for sharing your thoughts! 😘  Now I'm intrigued! 💖💖💖

4,022 Replies
testing