Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

@greeneyedgirl107  This gift would take so much self control lol. Did you get one for yourself?

@pocketvenus No!  I did drop a hint to my man, but we all know what that will amount to!  LOL!  😛

@greeneyedgirl107LOL I hope he gets it!! I'd probably have to drop a shopping list with detailed instructions to my beau 😛

IMG_20170924_122556.jpg

Finally got my hands on all my fragrance samples (and my HOF package!!!) so I'll be sharing my thoughts soon 🙂

Right now I'm wearing Dusita's Le Sillage Blanc - it's a gorgeous modern chypre with a generous helping of oakmoss, wonderfully balancing its earthy depth with a lighter green herbaciousness and soft, warm florals. Great projection as well. I am really loving it ❤️

I've been able to test out my three newest samples:

Atelier Silver Iris-I already knew I loved this one. My favorite Atelier scent. 

Notes: Tangerine, Pink Pepper, Blackcurrant, Violet Leave, Iris Pallida, Mimosa, Patchouli, White Amber, Tonka Beans. 

Alexander McQueen My Queen- I really like this one. Very nicely balanced.

Notes: Almond, violets, orange, white musk, heliotrope, white flowers, patchouli, cedar, vetiver, iris and vanilla.

Aerin Tangier Vanille- I found this one to be just ok. 

Notes:  Madagascar Vanilla, Bergamot, Bulgarian Rose, Amber, Sandalwood, Musk.

I've challenged myself to finish off 2 sample vials from various orders before I can order a custom one. I'm trying to get through the ones I've ordered and all the samples I've gotten from Sephora etc orders. My current vial I am working on is

Burberry My Burberry- I love this, it smells so good. I hate rose scents and I struggle to notice the rose.

Notes:  Sweet Pea, Bergamot, Geranium, Golden Quince, Freesia, Patchouli, Rain-Tipped Damask and Centifolia Roses. 

Next up for Custom Orders: 

Jo Malone Blue Hyacinth
Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose

A few fragrances I've tried lately:

Frédéric Malle's The Night - A rose-oud scent with a pungent opening reminiscent of blue cheese. Despite this, it maintains a diaphanous, photoshopped quality that I associate with Malle. The Night stands apart from all the other oud fragrances I've tried - this one definitely emphasizes oud over rose. The only other fragrance I'd compare it to is By Kilian's Pearl Oud, which is far denser and creamier and nothing like the other Kilian ouds.

Frédéric Malle's Superstitious - I think I wrote about this elsewhere but may as well add it here 🙂 Delayed trying this as an aldehyde-heavy floral isn't really something I could see myself wearing. Despite the strength of the opening, there's that airy, transparent quality I associate with Malle which it keeps the fragrance from entering Chanel territory with its brilliant, chilly aldehydes. Instead, the chemicals add a diaphanous lift, while the peach and blooming floral notes lend it a plushness.

LeLabo's Santal 33 - This started off well enough, as a gentle leather. But on my skin, it developed into a creamy woody musky morass. The drydown was very tenacious, and to my nose, unpleasant and distracting. Unfortunately, I was out all day and didn't have a chance to try to wipe it down with rubbing alcohol, which is my go-to trick for removing a scent. Throughout the entire evening I kept thinking, "god, what is that awful smell" and then I would realize it was my wrist 😞 I understand the appeal of the scent, it's just not for me.

L'Artisan Parfumeur's Timbuktu - I'd actually tried this ages ago, found it boring (how?) and forgot about it. But I've since rediscovered it. A fragrant woody scent with an uplifting spicy opening. Very lovely.

I've been trying to order decants when I can, which isn't often lol. But here are a few I've tried. 

Diptyque Trente-Quatre-Dislike. Top: bitter orange, lemon, verbena, grapefruit, lavender, juniper berries, nutmeg, cinnamon, Birch Leaf. Middle notes geranium and tuberose. Base notes cedar, patchouli, incense, labdanum and moss.

Diptyque Olene- Love- A beautiful floral fragrance with notes of wisteria and narcissus. 

Diptyque Philosykos- Like.  A woody aromatic blend of fig tree leaves and white cedar that creates a sparkling fresh fragrance

Dita Von Tesse- Ok- Notes: The scent opens with peonies, bergamot, and slightly spicy Bourbon pepper; the heart is Bulgarian rose, Tahitian Tiaré petals, and fresh jasmine; the base patchouli, musk, and smoky Gaiac wood and sandalwood.

Le Labo Limette-Dislike. The fragrance features lime, bergamot, jasmine, petitgrain, cloves, vetiver, tonka bean and musk

I am awaiting: Aerin Tangier Vanille, Alexander McQueen My Queen, Atelier Silver Iris. I've tried Silver Iris and I love it, but I want a bigger sample.

@Samtian I too am not crazy about Diptyque's Trente-Quatre. It's quite masculine and medicinal, which isn't for me personally. However I will wear Do Son with abandon!

@LCResz I haven't tried that one yet, but it is on my list!

Ok I'm in love. I have not fallen this hard for a fragrance in a while! Thank you Play! for sending me this little gem 😄

My Burberry Black 

Notes:
Sun-drenched Jasmine, Peach Nectar, Candied Rose, Amber Patchouli.
Style:
Floral. Sexy. Intimate.

http://www.sephora.com/my-burberry-black-P410239?skuId=1838002&icid2=products%20grid:p410239

It goes on so intoxicating and only gets better the longer it stays on my skin. Santa if you're reading this, I've been good this year. I promise 😉

bump

I got Black Tulip from NEST in one of my Play! boxes and I've really been loving it 🙂

Here are the notes:

Fragrance Family:
Floral

Scent Type:
Warm Florals

Key Notes:
Black Amber Plum, Pink Pepper, Japanese Violet

http://www.sephora.com/black-tulip-P415763?skuId=1912047&icid2=nest_lp_perfume_collection_carousel:p...

Ouh, that's a nice one!  I just polished off a deluxe roller of Black Tulip.  I'm trying to decide if I love it enough to buy the full size.  The fact that I'm just contemplating it and haven't done it yet tells me I don't love it enough.  I wouldn't complain if I ended up with more samples though. 

I'm right there with you. I have a rollerball sample and like it (surprisingly; florals aren't normally my thing), but I doubt I'll be jumping up to buy once it's gone. 

Heck, I get so many samples, I may never need to buy any perfume ever 😋

Black Tulip is a lovely scent!  I've enjoyed my samples, too!  @Mcakes

Today, I am wearing Jo Malone Nectarine and Honey Blossom. OMG! I avoided it for years thinking it would be too sweet but it is amazing. Happy, fruity, not sickly sweet and summary. JM never stays on me but this one did. All day, I got little reminders of it from my tshirt and wrists. 

❤️❤️❤️Nectarine and Honey Blossom is one of my favorite scents! ❤️❤️❤️

Nectarine Honey Blossom was my very first JM purchase, 8 years ago to be exact! Such an awesome mood booster. Glad to hear that you are enjoying it, @aydasu! 😄 

8 years 😄 Wow! I did not even know about JM back then let alone afford it. I guess time heals everything 😄 

Any other favs I should look into. I have Sea salt, blackberry & bay and wild fig (discontinued 😞 ) I tried blush & suede, pomegranate and basil & neroli ( not my cup of teas).

Haha it was a total impulse buy, @aydasu! I can't believe it's been that long since I bought that $55 fragrance (which is now $65!).

My other personal favorites from JM are Blue Agava & Cacao (which seems to have been discontinued :() and White Jasmine & Mint-- Sephora doesn't carry this specific scent for some reason but other retailers do. I also like Wild Bluebell-- such an easy to wear floral. 🙂 

I saw the White Jasmine one at a CCO last weekend. I regret not buying it! 

11 Replies
testing