Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Yesterday I wore Atelier Cologne Blanche Immortelle. The staying power of this one is quite good because I could still smell it on my skin this morning.

This one reminds me of all the good things about Rose Anonyme, but it's less bright and more buttery. There is a bit of that sandalwood that's in Santal Carmin, but it's less strong. There is something smokey I can't explain. Having a hard time describing this scent other than to say that I really love it. 

I forgot to post it last night, but I wore Atelier Cologne Gold Leather yesterday and I was *really* impressed.

To me, it smelled like extremely high quality bourbon or whiskey, except without the alcohol flavor. You know: that wooden barrel, a bit of plum. Very warm and comfortable. I would almost call it manly, but because of the plum it was definitely unisex. I love it!

Today I'm wearing Silver Iris, which I had hoped would be similar to Gold Leather, but is not. It smells a lot like Rendezvous: like hippy incense. I'm probably going to try spraying vanilla on top to see if it fixes it, but I suspect it won't.

More Pinrose layering today. I've been going through the little booklet that came with the rollerball set. I went with Treehouse Royal and Garden Gangster. These two work way better together than separately, and when I looked them up to check out the notes etc., I saw Sephora is no longer carrying them and needed to go to Pinrose direct. I'm not too surprised by this... TR is really, really earthy... almost dirty. It totally reminds me of how you'd smell after a day in the woods! It's probably wayyyyy too much for most. GG is very limey, it is tart and bright. Just like TR, a bit much on it's own. 

However, when the two are blended they mellow each other out quite a bit. I wouldn't say it's a feminine blend. What lingers is lime and musk. I think it could be appropriate for a man or a woman. It might remind me a bit of Irish Springs? I do think it's nice, I don't dislike this blend in the slightest, but it may not be for everyone.  

I received my Ebates gift card so I picked up:

Comptoir Sud PacifiqueCoco Figue

I honestly can't say why it is in my wishlist. But it was one of the cheaper ones I want so I got the travel size, yes I picked up the last one 😄 Anyways looking at the notes: Fig Fruit and Leaves, Vanilla, Coconut, Almond, Vanilla. I figured my chances of the coconut being strong were slim...I was wrong, I hate hate hate coconut and it is naturally the strongest scent. It lasts quite a long time. Over 6 hours right now, at least I can still smell it on my jacket. 

@SamtianI hear ya I was very disappointed with this fragrance - I have learned that I need to avoid anything that lists any kind, way, shape or form of coconut though it's weird because i love the smell of coconut milk or cream... Anyhoo, this one is nauseating to me but their Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Extreme is one of my top 5 fragrances - I wear it a few times a week alone or layered over other fragrances.  I just tried a little sun saint (Pinrose) and oddly enough I don't mind the coconut here nearly as much as in other fragrances but I still wouldn't want to wear it often.

Today I wore Commodity Wool.

• TOP NOTES:  Mandarin, Grapefruit, Apple
  • MID NOTES:  Basil, Fresh Ozone, Cedarwood, Lavandin, Armoise
  • BASE NOTES:  Amber, Haitian Vetiver, Gray Musk, Bourbon Vanilla

I was disappointed with this scent.  As a crocheter, I had secretly hoped it would smell like sheep or wool yarn, but I knew it wouldn't.  The description says it's supposed to remind you of your favorite sweater or wool blanket.  It didn't remind me of either.  It was a rather unpleasant smell, but I can't quite put my finger on what I didn't like about it.  The only "note" that I know I don't really care for is apple.  Oh, well, everyone's nose is different!

I put on Atelier Cologne Rendezvous this morning and right now I smell like hippy incense. That flowery musky patchouli scent is *overwhelming*. The floral in it reminds me of a car air freshener my parents once had.

This one is a pass for me.

Today I wore Histoires de Parfum 1826.

Notes:  Bergamot, Tangerine, White Flowers, Violet, Cinnamon, Ginger, Patchouli, Amber, Incense, Blond Woods, White Musk, Vanilla

There was something "sharp" smelling when initially sprayed on, but it went away quickly.  After that, it was a subtle warm--not wintry warm, but comfortable warm--scent.  Unfortunately, it didn't last very long.

Today I layered Pinrose Wildchild over Tambourine Dreamer. This is such a lovely blend!! I am always impressed with Pinrose when I wear it, and I haven't found a blend I didn't like. Together, these two are fresh, feminine, and floral, and at the end of the day, what's left is a really nice, subtle musk. It's the sort of scent that's comforting, if a boy let you borrow his sweater and your scent lingered after returning it (yeah right... that sweater is yours now), he wouldn't want to wash it because he'd be reminded of you. 

Today I wore Etat Libre d'Orange Jasmin Et Cigarette.

Notes:  Jasmine absolute, tobacco notes, apricot, tonka bean, curcuma, cedarwood, amber, musk

Wow!  This one smells great!  When I first put it on, I was hit in the face by Eau d'Bowling Alley.  After it dried down, it left behind a lovely scent of warm jasmine with a hint of smoky vanilla.  I could inhale this scent all day!

@Titian06 Lol, Eau d'Bowling Alley! But this scent does sound nice. I have yet to get my hands on anything from Etat Libre d'Orange, but I'm reminded of that every time someone posts about their scents on this thread.

I'm wearing Elizabeth and James Nirvana White today. This one is unique, but familiar. It's quite nice, I need to wear it more often! 

Today I wore Atelier Cologne Ambre Nue. I'm not really sure what amber is supposed to smell like exactly since it's a gem and I don't typically think gems have a scent to them. I keep seeing amber listed as an "note" in fragrances and I always find that really puzzling. I guess it's sort of like tree sap without the scent of the tree? 

Anyway what I get from this fragrance mostly is patchouli. I'm super sensitive to the scent of patchouli and usually when someone is wearing it that's all I can smell. I think that's why stoners favor the stuff. But alongside the patchouli I smell something I would describe as spicey. I can't explain it exactly. It's very masculine. It does smell a bit less masculine as the scent dies down, but at the end of the day I still smell patchouli.

It's funny I don't like this because Atelier actually makes the only fragrance with patchouli in it that I actually like: Rose Anonyme.

@purly - Ambre is an aromatic resin also referred to as an organic gemstone that's the hardened resin of the now extinct Pinus succinifera, and other trees.

Odor profile: sweet, resinous, cozy and warm, often rather powdery notes recreated from a mix of balsams, usually labdanum, benzoin, vanilla, styrax and fir or a combination of some of these. The default oriental note.  (Fragrantica)

So, I would describe the scent as warm, although I can't explain why. I would not describe it as vanilla or pine though. 

Wanted to make sure my Commodity lovers didn't miss this new set while the 3x points on fragrance is going on: http://www.sephora.com/best-dressed-travel-spray-kit-P419126?skuId=1918358&icid2=products%20grid:p41...

Also, I finally got around to trying Atelier in Orange Sanguine. I don't know why I had a negative prejudice against this in my mind for the longest time but now that I have actually tried it I have to say it's not bad! Not my favorite scent in the world but it's not as overpoweringly citrus as I thought it was going to be. I looked up the notes and while it doesn't have vanilla in there I thought I smelled a bit of it. I got the spray deluxe sample in a Sephora Favorites kit and I will definitely use it 🙂

@Mcakes I really love this one! It smells just like a juicy orange and it reminds me of a hot summer night at sunset! I have a couple of DS sprays from different kits, it's probably one of my favorite citrus fragrances. 

Pinrose Merry maker-I like this but wish it was a bit stronger.I smelled the grapefruit and citrus really strong at first but after a couple hours the citrus faded and I smelled the musk more.

Today I'm wearing Atelier Cologne Mandarine Glaciale. I started wearing it last night after Mimosa Indigo didn't work out, and decided to keep wearing it this morning because I like it so much. It smells like that Celestial Seasonings "Mandarin Orange" tea! It's very orangey, but without that soapy smell that I get from Orange Sanguine. It has a hint of spice in the background, although admittedly not the same spice as is in the tea. Either way, the smell of this perfume reminds me of the tea.

Update: decided to try layering it with Vanille Insensee. The vanilla complemented it nicely and helped bring out the spice scent.

@purly - Thanks for sharing!  I really like Mandarine Glaciale because of the spiciness.  I don't have Vanille Insensee, but I do have another vanilla.  I'll try that one to see how it works.

3 Replies
testing