Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Perfume Posse

31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Highlighted

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

DAY 3: Today I decided to try wearing Maison Margiela (Replica)'s "Funfair Evening" - I actually quite like this and I think it's actually quite an original scent in the Caramel Gourmand category.

I remember reading a review of this perfume (before trying it) that focused on the caramel/candy aspect and dismissed it as a being inferior to other fragrances in the genre, notably Prada Candy.  I could not disagree more with that review and in fact it leaves me wondering if the reviewer had a nose on their head because love it or hate it - this fragrance is very different from Prada Candy - though both have a dominant caramel note - and it is also very different from Therry Mugler "Angel" (another perfume I have seen a reviewer compare it too).  Terry Mugler Angel is - to my nose - more defined by the excessive patchouli than it is by the sweet gourmand notes.  In Funfair Evening there is no patchouli and there are a variety of notes that I have not seen in any other Caramel dominant gourmand scents...

Maybe FUNFAIR EVENING leaves a good impression on me because there is a star anise note that is quite pronounced and that prevents the fragrance from veering into overly sweet territory.  To some people, the star anise might smell like black licorice, it is indeed similar or it might be reminiscent of Sambuca... But because I am French and I have spent many lazy Sunday afternoon drinking the aperitif called Pastis (Pastis - if you are unfamiliar is a green liqueur to which we add a little water and a cube of sugar.  Pastis tastes almost exactly like Absinthe (a little milder) and it looks like Absinthe but it does not have the active ingredient that produces the special level of intoxication that made absinthe infamous (wormwood).  In any case - I smell Star Anise, Pastis, Caramel and Sweet Taffy, a little vanilla, undercut by a green sort of leafiness, crisp Neroli (orange blossom) and a hint - A HINT - of rosewater and I do mean rose water, certainly not full blown rose.  For my own taste I could wish that the floral elements and the vanilla were more pronounced but the inclusion of star anise  makes this - to my nose - quite interesting with the gourmand notes. 

I think it is most likely a love it or hate it fragrance and while I don't think I like it quite enough to buy a full bottle I would definitely purchase it if it came in roller ball size or if it was included in a roller ball set that also contained "Flower Market", also by Replica. 

Awesome review @RoseCharlie! I want to try a sample of this, it sounds amazing. Smiley Happy

@angel7594Thank you so much! : )  I was worried I had blabbed a little too much and that no one would read it so I'm really happy to see you liked it! : ) I think it's definitely worth trying - even if you don't end up liking it for regular use I find it is a bit of a scent experience! : )

Oh, this one sounds so interesting! Your review was lovely, and I totally need a sample of this perfume now.

Thank you! : ) I think it is definitely worth asking for a sample next time you hit the store because I find it hard to really get a good read when I'm sniffing so many other things and other perfumes are in the air but I do think this one is quite fun - not an every day perfume but a very interesting one nevertheless! : )

I got all perfume samples in my last Sephora order (yay!)! I tried Giorgio Armani Si today, and it's really nice. I love Jo Malone's English Pear and Freesia, and it's interesting how the addition of amber wood makes the fragrance completely different. This one smells sweet and spicy in a lovely way on me.

Notes:
Pear, Freesia, Amber Wood.

@txcatxYay! Perfume samples! : ) sometimes I see people on BT complaining about there being too many pefume samples in the samples section and i am dumbfounded because the perfume samples are my absolute absolute favourite! : ) English Pear and Freesia sounds amazing I will have to try it - I wonder if Canadian Sephoras will also get the Jo Malone?

@RoseCharlie I know! We're definitely the minority who love perfume samples. For awhile, my perfume samples kept getting replaced with foundation samples, which was oh, so sad.

@txcatxOh no I would hate that! lol,I'm a one foundation woman - so foundation samples pffft.  It's Guerlain Lingerie de Peau for me, but perfume? I'll NEVER have enough! lol

Ooh Jo Malone lucky you! 

Today I am wearing Tocca Florence. This is definitely a true, classic floral, but in no way overwhelming or strong. It's quite nice. The notes say bergamot, gardenia, and blonde wood, and I feel the gardenia is the most apparent. Very lovely, I like this one a lot. It feels very appropriate for spring and early summer.

I just remembered I have a sample of this in my stash! It sounds lovely, cannot wait to try it. Smiley Happy

@alexastephThanks for your review! This reminds me that Tocca is one of those lines I don't know anything about and that I should try and try out their fragrances!

@RoseCharlie I recommend checking out the Darlings rollerball set! It has Florence, Cleopatra, and Giulietta. I received it in a gift exchange and I think it would be the perfect introduction to the line. All three are really nice for the (hopefully!!) upcoming warmer weather, and since they are small roller balls, they will travel nicely on any summer trips! 

@alexastephOhhh that's good to know thank you so much for the tip! : ) I was wondering which ones I should try!

Day 1. I reached in and grabbed Dolce by DOLCE&GABBANA. http://www.sephora.com/dolce-P385301?skuId=1601301&icid2=products%20grid%3Ap385301 Notes:
Neroli Leaves, Papaya Flower, White Amaryllis, White Daffodil, White Water Lily, Cashmeran, Musky Notes, Sandalwood.  

I really really love this smell. I don't know how to describe it but intoxicating. 

I love getting this as a sample.  It smells good! Now, I see it is the Neroli that attracts me to it.

Good idea posting the notes! @Samtian

@wheeeee Thanks! I thought it might be helpful for some people. 

Yes!  I will post notes as well so that at least others can have a clue about all the perfumes we are about to post!  ;')

This is one I've been wanting to try because of the neroli.

@Samtian i really love dolce too!

Day 5 - Giorgio Armani Si Intense

I suck at identifying fragrance notes so I looked on Fragrantica Smiley Very Happy Sweet cassis, rose, vanilla.

If only I could list fragrance notes as well as I can tell you what's been put in food that I've eaten! I've always wanted to try one of those Hell's Kitchen/Gordon Ramsay style blind-taste tests! (Seriously, you can't tell that this crispy, delicious, cool fruit is watermelon?)

Spoiler
Day 4 - Somethin' Special Sweet Petals (LUSH Rose Jam dupe)

I'm exactly the same way with food, @k617. It's become a bit of a parlor trick at restaurants... a friend will say, "what spice is in this?" I'll tell them, we'll (perhaps obnoxiously) ask the server to ask the kitchen, and booyah. Smiley Very Happy

Hahaha! My friends don't do that and my coworkers have just learned to accept my interpretation of what's in the food.

I need to get better with spices in curries though! I could probably get all of them by listing off the common Indian cooking spices, but.... besides coriander, cumin, cardamom and stuff also used in Western cooking (like clove, allspice, etc,) I struggle a bit!

Curries are definitely difficult. The one thing I will never fail to recognize in a curry, though, is fenugreek... because I hate it! Smiley Very Happy

4 Replies