Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Thank you! 

Today I am wearing Juicy Couture I Love Juicy Couture. I picked it up this weekend at Ulta with the 5X points on fragrance. I like this one a lot! It opens very bright and sweet with apple and mandarin, then mellows out with patchouli. 

Feb 13:  Gucci--Premiere by Gucci

Notes:  Bergamot, Orange Blossom, White Flower, Musk, Leather, Wood

I couldn't really smell this one.  Either I missed my target or I need to put significantly more on.  What little bit of a whiff I did get, smelled nice.

Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb

Notes: sambac jasmine, centifolia rose, cattleya orchid, ballerina freesia, patchouli

I tried a sample of this some time ago, but thought it was too strong. I got a mini bottle in a Sephora Favorites set recently and I love it now! How interesting that our preferences can change over time! I can detect all of the notes on my skin except the patchouli, which is good since I do not care for it.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Flowerbomb, love this one!

Jo Malone Mimosa and Cardamom

Notes: cardamom, mimosa, tonka bean

This does not work with my chemistry, but I do love the scent. I will use the rest of my samples as home fragrance. 🙂

Perfume no. 37: Maison Margiela Replica Lazy Sunday Morning. It smells warm, comforting, and clean, like warm laundry, which is exactly the vibe they're going for. I'm just undecided on how I feel about fragrances that smell like cleaning supplies. They're very nice, but I just want to smell like perfume, not like clean clothes.

However, of the five Maison Margiela fragrances I've tried, this is the one I like best, though not sure if I like it enough to purchase. I still don't get Beach Walk since I think it smells dirty. 

Notes:
Aldehydes, Pear, Lily of the Valley, Iris, Rose Absolue, Orange Flower, White Musk, Indian Patchouli Oil, Ambrette Seeds Absolute.

@txcatx Ooh this is no good for me hahahaha. I smell like a nursing home when I wear it. I was looking for something to cover it up so quick. None of the MM fragrances work on me. Just can't get in to them. My wallet is happy about it, however. 

Atelier Cologne Bergamote Soleil

Notes: bergamot, bigarade, ambrette, jasmine, lavender, cardamom, vetiver, oak moss, white amber

This smells nice in the bottle, but not on my skin. I received a miniature in a Sephora Favorites set. 

I have been to.d their fragrances smell different on everyone.

This is one of the few Atelier fragrances that does not work for me either. 

Today I am wearing Pinrose Pillowtalk Poet. It's very light and almost undetectable on me, but it's still nice. It's a good on to wear for me if I still want to wear something so I feel put together, but don't want anything overpowering. It acheives for me what the philosophy Grace line and Lazy Sunday Morning tries to achieve. If that makes sense. But I don't like those one haha. 

Notes are powders, ambers, and musks. 

This one sounds nice! I want to try more of the Pinrose fragrances. 

Feb 11:  Tom Ford - Black Orchid

Notes:  Black Truffle, Black Orchid, Black Plum, Noir Gourmand Accord, Patchouli

Eehh...nothing wrong with it; it just didn't do anything for me.

Perfume no. 36: Juliette Has A Gun MMMM. Nope. Not a fan. It smells sweet and spicy, but something smells off and maybe...rotten? I can't figure it out. 

Notes:
Vanilla, Neroli, Sandalwood, Jasmine Sambac.

Feb 10:  Gucci:  Guilty Pour Homme

Notes:  Lavender, Lemon, Orange Blossom, Cedarwood, Patchouli

This one smelled very nice.

At lunch, I went to Ulta with a friend.  While there, I tried on:

Giorgio Armani:  Sun di Gioia

Notes:  Bergamot, Freesia, Marine Accord, Sambac Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Frangipani, Coconut Milk, Ambrox, Iris

This one had a stronger scent and lasted all afternoon.  It smelled nice, except I kept getting a whiff of something rank.  Looking at the notes, I can see immediately what that is--the ambrox.

Bulgari Omnia Paraiba

Notes: bigarade orange, passion fruit, passion flower, brazilian gardenia, cocoa beans, vetiver essence

Unfortunately, this one does not work for me. It smelled really strange on my skin, like sour fruit. The staying power was weak however, so it washed off easily. 

Thanks to this thread I have the Commodity try it kit and the three tiny Pinrose roller balls in my basket waiting for a good promo code. Should I just get them anyways with the 3X points? I doubt there'll be an UNBELIEVABLE promo code from now till then... 

Yes I caved. Used VIBBRONZE me as code. I don't generally use bronzer but it might be nice as an eyeshadow 🙃

Great choices! I love both sets.

Perfume no. 35: Ralph Lauren Tender Romance. I smell...sweet and a bit floral? Kind of like one of those floral desserts, like rose macarons.

testing