Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Anonymous Insider

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

I love this one!  It smells like Black Opium to me with a touch more floral.

@txcatx @Anonymous - I received a sample of this today.  Glad to know what I'm getting into when I try this.

Feb 9:  Marc Jacobs - Decadence

Notes:  Italian plum, iris flower, saffron, Bulgarian rose, jasmine sambac, orris, vetiver, papyrus woods, and liquid amber

Wow, was this one powerful both scent-wise and staying power.  You could probably smell me a mile away, and it lasted a good two hours.

I really like this one, which surprises me since the notes are quite different from what I have been drawn to.

Anonymous Insider

Scent scent twins..lol.  I like this one also and it's definitely out of my normal range too.  I bought one for my daughter because she was always sneaking mine.  On her I can smell it a mile away and for days..me not so much 😔.  That girl can hold any scent and project it!

Since I just put on Tom Fords Orchid Soleil ? i think? And am slowly getting a headache, I will tell you what I wore last night. Madison Margela "Replica" Dancing on the moon. I had gotten a sample out of curiosity and love it! It's very interesting. I can't describe it but if you ever get the chance to grab a sample don't pass it up! It is more expensive than their regular "Replica" scents by quite a bit:( however I am loving it and trying to refrain from ordering it ATM, hoping they come out with a roller ball!

Anonymous Insider

I have absolutely no luck with Tom Ford's Orchid line.  Headache is almost instantaneous.  I'd like to try other scents from Tom Ford but have given up because they're so pricey that even if I liked one I'd probably never buy it.

I was wondering what these ones were like since they are more expensive than the regular ones.Roller balls would be great.

Miu Miu Eau de Parfum 

Notes: green lily of the valley, rose, akigalawood

I really love this fragrance. It is beautiful, and unique. The bottle looks so pretty on my vanity, I like the light blue glass! It reminds me of Tiffany blue. The staying power was about 6 hours. I will be wearing this alot in the Spring and Summer. 🙂

I really like that one!

Today I am wearing Commodity Gold for the first time. I had a sample made, and I found one that I got with an order. I love this one too! It's unique, but there is something familiar to it. I can't put my finger on it. I'm not sure if it's familiar to another fragrance or if I'm remembering something or someone. 

Also - Sephora is now carrying Commodity's Platinum line! Oooh I wanna try Vetiver so bad it hurts. 

Gold is GOLD 😄 I know, the new line is calling out to me so hard right now. Bergamot, Leather and Tonka...ahhhh. I have a problem. If Commodity ever makes it to the Bazaar I know we are going to be first in line 😛

Same! I have Tonka and Bergamot in my cart, but hoping for a good promo code before 3x points is over. 

I finally found my cocktail kit, looks like Gold and Gin were the two no's I had. 

@SamtianI haven't tried Gin yet, but I have sprayed it in store and if I remember correctly, I did like it. What about Gold and Gin did you not like? I can see how Gold might wear really musky one someone. 

@alexasteph Gin wasn't even in the box when I found it. Which means I immediately threw it away. Looking at the notes its most likely because of the leather, eucalyptus, musk, and patchouli. For the gold, that one made me sick, the camphor was the strongest note I could smell, the juniper berries and the musk. 

Ooh, rough. That's no good. Yeah, I love the notes in Gin, so I'll probably get it eventually haha. There are a few scents out there other people really love that do not sit well with me. Fragrance is so weird that way. Alien made me gag, Lazy Sunday Morning made me gag, and those are both quite popular. 

Haha Alien is one of my top favorites of all time! 

@Samtian Mine, too!!! I LOVE Alien!

What?! Yay! Off to buy Tonka...

Perfume no. 34: Commodity Gin. Okay, so I love Commodity Mimosa so much that I spray it on top of every Commodity fragrance, but I love Gin with Mimosa. It's fresh, complex, juicy but slightly bitter like an unripe orange. 

Gin Notes:
Bergamot, Watery Nuances, Eucalyptus, Jasmine, Blonde Woods, Leather, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Musk.

Mimosa Notes:
Blood Orange, Mandarin, Grapefruit, Black Pepper, Sheer Jasmine, Geranium, Tonka Bean, Heliotrope, Ylang Ylang. 

Yesterday I finished off my first ever fragrance sample vial. Proud day for me. It was Especially Escada. An ok scent. 

testing