Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Feb 7:  Hugo Boss - Boss The Scent

Notes:  Ginger, Lavender, Maninka Fruit, Leather

This was absolutely awesome!  Too bad it lasted less than the drive to work.

Any suggestions on application?  How?  When?  Where?  Drying?  Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I have rollerballs, travel/purse sprays, and samples some with sprays and some with the stoppers where you have to dab the scent on.

Day 32Muscs Koublai Khan by Serge Lutens

This one is a bit tough to describe - I fully expected this to be a stinker, and I'm not getting that at all. But I'm mystified by this one lol. The opening was more fresh, slightly spicy. But it quickly went into baby powder territory. And now ~3 hours in is musty (not really incensy)...reminds me of what a sweater or wool smells like. With a hint of baby powder and earthiness. I guess it is "clean?" It's not unpleasant, but it isn't for me.

From SL direct:

What incredible sandalwood!

Valuable furs were spread for the Emperor of China to tread on, muddy boots and all.

Ultra-animalic musks and all kinds of tanned hides make a sensational debut in this fragrance. Pay no attention to their aggressiveness: once on the skin, they retract their claws in favor of padded paws.

Notes: Civet, Castroneum, Cistus Labdanum, Ambergris, Morrocan Rose, Cumin, Ambrette Seed (musk mallow), Costus Root and Patchouli

Spoiler
Keeping running tally so that I won't repeat!
Day 31Santal de Mysore by Serge Lutens
Day 30Across Sands by Maison Margiela
Day 29Velvet Wood by Dolce & Gabbana
Day 28Velvet Exotic Leather by Dolce & Gabbana
Day 27Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange
Day 26Penhalgion's Anthology Gardenia
Day 25Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens
Day 24Vert Boheme by Tom Ford
Day 23Sidi Bel-Abbes by Serge Lutens
Day 22Black Orchid by Tom Ford
Day 21Dangerous Complicity by Etat Libre d'Orange
Day 20: Plum Japonais by Tom Ford
Day 19: Rahat Loukoum by Serge Lutens
Day 18: Oud Wood by Tom Ford
Day 17: Rahat Loukoum by Serge Lutens
Day 16: Soul of the Forest by Maison Margiela
Day 15: Ombre Indigo by Olfactive Studio
Day 14: Eau de Sens by Diptyque
Day 13: Honey Oud by Floris
Day 12: Panorama by Olfactive Studio
Day 11: PHI Une Rose de Kandahar by Tauer
Day 10: Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange
Day 9: Chance EDP by Chanel
Day 8: Missed - "Eau de me" :x
Day 7: Ombre Leather by Tom Ford
Day 6: Straight to Heaven By Killian
Day 5: Bapteme du Feu by Serge Lutens
Day 4: Fir Balsam by L'Antichambre
Day 3: Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens
Day 2
: Maison Margiela Replica Dancing on the Moon
Day 1: Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford   

I have been wearing  TokyoMilk Dark Femme Fatale Collection - Tainted 

I redeemed this in a promo (VIBSCENT I think) a while ago and I just had to purchase the FS bottle!! I love it!  It is such a pretty scent.  I've worn it everyday for the past week! 😄

Notes:
Dark Vanilla Bean, Sparkling Citrus, Orchid, White Tea, Sandalwood, Tonka Bean.
Style:
Inquisitive. Dramatic. Darling.

I like this scent, too!  

You guys. Remember way at the beginning of the challenge when @wheeeee posted about Atelier Rose Anonyme and I straight lusted over the packing? Well, I was finally able to track down a tester and got a sample vial. I wore it yesterday, LOVE IT, and was immediately complimented! I am never complimented on the fragrance I wear, so I think it's a sign I need a full size bottle. Usually I just buy rollerballs, but I might need to spring for a larger one with this. 

@Samtian @wheeeee @Libellules Yeah. I will definitely be picking this one up. I think I'll get it from direct because of their samples/gift card deals and stuff. Since it's a pretty pricey purchase, I want to feel like I've earned it so I need to accomplish before I pull the trigger 😂

@alexasteph That means you have to get the whole pretty package 😄

Congrats @alexasteph

What a beautiful scent!

It also comes in a purse spray so that you are never without!  lol!!!!

(I hate rollerballs and think they all should be changed to purse sprays)  

@alexasteph how exciting! It is always a good feeling to find a fragrance that you just are so enamoured with. The fact that you love the packaging too is a nice bonus 😄

I really love the scent of the Dolce by Dolce&Gabanna but I find that the scent wears off rather quickly. Is there a scent that is similar to it with long staying power? 

Thank you!

@Debbiy @alexasteph - I bought this scent over the weekend and plan to wear it tomorrow.  I've tried it twice in store and just loved the scent.  Can't wait to see how long it will last.  Most scents don't even last 30 minutes on me!

@Debbiy Dolce is one of my favorite florals, and I find it to be super unique. I went through some in my own fragrance collection, and couldn't find anything that was very similar... One that felt the closet, even though the notes aren't the same, is Dior J'adore. J'adore is a bit muskier, but opens with that same floral idea as Dolce. 

EDIT: Oh, also remember that fragrances can be so personal based on body chemistry, so what seems similar to Dolce on me might be totally different on you, just as what lasts a long time on me might not last long on you. Dolce does have pretty good staying power when I wear it, actually. I'd recommend hitting up Sephora or another fragrance counter asking for samples of some in the same fragrance family so you can get a better idea. 

Hey @pocketvenus, you're a fragrance expert around here. Do you happen to know an answer to this one? The notes are: 

Neroli Leaves, Papaya Flower, White Amaryllis, White Daffodil, White Water Lily, Cashmeran, Musky Notes, Sandalwood.

@txcatx*blushes* I wouldn't call myself an expert as there are people who are far more educated/experienced in fragrances! I will cop to being a little obsessed though 😉

I'm not familiar with Dolce but on fragrantica, users say it is similar to Alfred Sung's Shi and the other D&G scents Floral Drops and Excelsa.

From the description (aquatic floral) perhaps L'Eau d'Issey would be worth a try? The notes are different but it's a classic in the genre.

Perfume no. 32: Clean Reserve Amber Saffron. I'm going through the perfumes in that promo sample bag, and this smells like a fruit roll-up or Gushers on me. Must be the raspberry and mandarin overpowering the other notes.

Notes:
Bergamot Armoise Artemisia, Mandarin Oil, Rose, Lily, Raspberry, Musk, Saffron, Amber.

Also, I'm now just going to keep a count of perfumes I try. It'll be fun to reach 100!

So... As little as I managed to go through my samples and participate during this challenge... Made me get me my first ( I think ) truly feminine and effortlessly elegant fragrance - Miss Dior. I am totally in love with it! It makes this "used to be tomboy" feel like a bona fide lady ( 😉 ), without being "too much", or over the top...  And I am so enjoying it! 🙂

upload_1563505691093266518.gif

upload_4309311416689300351.gif

upload_2888212925306156107.gif

Now I'm debating between AC Clementine California ( even though it doesn't last as long as I'd want it to... But I just love it so bleeping much!!! ), and Hermes Le Jardin de Monsieur Li. Decisions, decisions...

@lyravega AC Clementine California FS bottle is available now in rewards bazaar!

Saw your summons in the other thread, @Libellules.... 😛 ( And, explained the situation ). All I can say right now...

upload_6854939622446829721.gif

😄

upload_1485529648678292944.gif

These gifs explain me right now

Gah, I'm sorry @lyravega! I figured it was worth summoning you in case you had the points!

Of course it was worth it! And, I thank you for thinking of me, @Libellules ! That was so sweet of you. You couldn't know. This is the first time I sorta kinda regret not collecting points. This is the first time I am actually liking one of them big rewards. So far, I've never seen anything even remotely interesting to me. But, this... Gah! Hahahaha! Oh, well... It is what it is. 😛

2 Replies
testing