Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Wow! I don't smell any berry at all! 

Day 30 Tom Ford Orchid Soleil (sample vial) 

Classy, as Tom Fords fragrances are always, hint of warmth, I almost smell a bit of coconut on opening even though it's not one of the notes. Not something I would buy a whole bottle of, but I'll keep adding the free samples when they're available 

Day 30-Tom Ford black orchid.

Day Thirty: Etat Libre d'Orange's Eau de Protection

A brooding, dramatic, ultra femme rose. Dark and a touch spicy, with heft. Never overly sweet or cloying. I just wish the bottle didn't replace their logo with a cliched tribal dragon!

upload_3719437896204886163.jpg

I actually like the look of this dragon :x

You might like the scent too 🙂

Day 30-  L’Artisan Parfumeur- La Chasse Aux Papillons

Notes:
Bergamot, Madarin, Pink Pepper, Linden Blossom, Orange Blossom, Jasmine, Lemon Tree Blossom, Tuberose, Ylang Ylang.

I'm torn on this one. I kind of like it. There is a note I can't identify that I'm not fond of. But I still kind of like the scent as a whole, but not enough to spend 95 on. If they had travel sizes I'd consider getting that size. 

http://www.sephora.com/la-chasse-aux-papillons-P375932?skuId=1854876&icid2=l%27artisan_thecollection...

Jan 30: Guerlain Terracotta Le Parfume EDT: I wish i have a roller or sample of it to bring along especially when going on a beach vacation.

Day 30: Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy Rose

I am not a huge fan of Viva La Juicy, but I really like the variations. Since my brain isn't working too well this morning, I'm having a hard time describing it on my own, so here is the provided description:

Celebrate with Viva la Juicy Rosé, a light-hearted toast to the forever vibrant Viva girl. This effervescent fragrance pops with fizzy citrus perfection and sparkles in a dew of jasmine and honey-like pink blossoms for a dreamy scent that is kissed by the glow of sensual amber. 

The scent opens with the fresh fruity notes of Italian mandarin and William pear intertwining with soft, dewy jasmine petals. At the heart, rose centifolia blooms into a honey-like floralcy next to white peony and jasmine sambac. Accented with decadent ambrox, sensual orris absolu, and warm benzoin, the fragrance leaves the Viva Rosé girl with an air of mischievous sophistication. 

Notes: 
Italian Mandarin, William Pear, Jasmine Petals, Rose Centifolia Absolute, White Peony, Jasmine Sambac, Orris Absolute, Benzoin, Ambrox. 
Style: 
Sparkling. Charming. Exuberant.

This is nice. I like it. Maybe not full size worthy, but maybe rollerball worthy if they didn't always double it with the original. 

Last day tomorrow! 

Spoiler
Day 1: Alien by Muglar (eh)
Day 2: Estee Lauder Modern Muse Chic (yay!)
Day 3: Atelier Orange Sanguine (yay!)
Day 4: D&G Dolce (yay!)
Day 5: Pinrose Merry Maker (yay!)
Day 6: TokyoMilk Dark Pretty Rotten 33 (no)
Day 7: Fresh snow and a frozen nose
Day 8: Lavender and Peppermint Essential Oils
Day 9: YSL Mon Paris (yay!)
Day 10: Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream (eh)
Day 11: British TV shows
Day 12: Lancôme La Vie Est Belle (yay!)
Day 13: Pinrose Tambourine Dreamer (yay!)
Day 14: Balenciaga B. Skin (double yay!)
Day 15: Pinrose Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 16: Pinrose Pinrose + Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 17: Jose Maran Joy/Sweet Holly (yay!)
Day 18: Chloe Eau du Parfum (yay!)
Day 19: Dior J'adore (yay!)
Day 20: YSL Black Opium (yay!)
Day 21: Elizabeth and James Nivana White (double yay!)
Day 22: Nothing
Day 23: Marc Jacobs Dot (eh)
Day 24: Versace Eros Pour Femme EDP (no, unfortunately)
Day 25: BVLGARI Omnia Paraiba (eh)
Day 26: Commodity Mimosa (double yay!)
Day 27: Atelier Vanille Insensée (yay!) to mask MM Lazy Sunday Morning (100% NOPE)
Day 28: Paco Rabanne 1 Million (double yay!)
Day 29: Giorgio Armani Si (eh-yay)

Day 30:  Maison Margiela Replica, Flower Market.

Love!

Days 28 and 29 - lazy and at soccer tournament with son so didn't wear anything but scented body butter.

Day 30: Commodity Mimosa. Give me anything that has citrus, jasmine, and tonka bean, please. If Demeter's Fuzzy Navel is the perfume that defines my college years, then Mimosa represents my twenties. I love this one, but need a little more complexity. I need to try this one mixed with another Commodity fragrance and create, like, a craft cocktail of a perfume.

Also, I was thrilled that in this case, Mimosa referred to the ubiquitous brunch drink, not the flowering tree.I would probably like Jo Malone's Mimosa and Cardamom better if it were mimosa the drink and not the flower.

Notes:
Blood Orange, Mandarin, Grapefruit, Black Pepper, Sheer Jasmine, Geranium, Tonka Bean, Heliotrope, Ylang Ylang.

I love Commodity. 

I've loved the three Commodity fragrances that I've tried. When we get 3x points on fragrances, I'm definitely going to pick up some Commodity travel size sprays!

Thats a good idea. It's been a while since I've used them. But it looks like I have Magnolia, Mimosa, and Whiskey saved to my wishlist. I better find that little sample kit I bought a while back and retest. 

This is a new favorite of mine. I am obsessed. 

Jan 29: Lancome Hypnose EDP: i havent wear this for a long long time and i'm glad i didnt forget it.  Fun fact: do you know the famous Thierry Wasser created it.  He also created Guerlain Terracotta Le Parfume which is another favorite of mine.

Day 30: Chanel Cristalle EDP, a chypre floral.

Notes: mandarin orange, peach, melon, ylang-ylang, jasmine, vetiver, oakmoss

What can I say, I am a big fan of Chanel fragrances. This one is another favorite in my collection, and is perfect for spring and summer. 

Day 30Across Sands by Maison Margiela

This has a very dry, incensy, stinky oud smell. Can't get an image out of my mind of something very unpleasant :x. It is definitely lacking depth for me, and is very linear.

Notes: Blackcurrant buds, Pimiento berries, Moss Accord, Cistus Concrete, Sap Accord, Fir Balsam, Incense Oil, Patchouli Oil, Indonesia Atlas, Cedarwood Oil

Day 29Velvet Wood by Dolce & Gabbana

On me, this was very earthy, mossy - truly unisex. I liked this one, even though I'm missing the actual wood and the kiss of smoke that Oud Wood provides.

Notes: Styrax balsam, Leather, Ebony Wood

Day 28Velvet Exotic Leather by Dolce & Gabbana

Was not a fan of this one on me - it started off as a really masculine chypre, and I really didn't ever get much leather to it.

Notes: Incense, Labdanum, Lavender, Juniper berry, Clarry, Leather, Sugarcane alcohol, Frankincense, Styrax

Spoiler
Keeping running tally so that I won't repeat!
Day 27Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange
Day 26Penhalgion's Anthology Gardenia
Day 25Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens
Day 24Vert Boheme by Tom Ford
Day 23Sidi Bel-Abbes by Serge Lutens
Day 22Black Orchid by Tom Ford
Day 21Dangerous Complicity by Etat Libre d'Orange
Day 20: Plum Japonais by Tom Ford
Day 19: Rahat Loukoum by Serge Lutens
Day 18: Oud Wood by Tom Ford
Day 17: Rahat Loukoum by Serge Lutens
Day 16: Soul of the Forest by Maison Margiela
Day 15: Ombre Indigo by Olfactive Studio
Day 14: Eau de Sens by Diptyque
Day 13: Honey Oud by Floris
Day 12: Panorama by Olfactive Studio
Day 11: PHI Une Rose de Kandahar by Tauer
Day 10: Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange
Day 9: Chance EDP by Chanel
Day 8: Missed - "Eau de me" :x
Day 7: Ombre Leather by Tom Ford
Day 6: Straight to Heaven By Killian
Day 5: Bapteme du Feu by Serge Lutens
Day 4: Fir Balsam by L'Antichambre
Day 3: Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens
Day 2
: Maison Margiela Replica Dancing on the Moon
Day 1: Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford   

That description of Across Sands is what brought me into this thread! Wow, what a shame! I had been eyeing that one (mostly cause I like the name), but was extremely hesitant because it's $200 a bottle. Honestly, based on your description I want to take a whiff of it just to see how bad it is. 😛

@Asche sorry! Fragrance is so personal though - can you order a sample? It isn't a scrubber for me, but it isn't something I'd probably wear again. Your body chemistry may work better than mine with this fragrance, and you might be able to get more of the other notes than me 😄

@Libellules Not to worry! Realistically it wasn't something I was going to run out and purchase any time soon anyway. 😛 I'll try it out whenever I get a chance and see how it goes. I tend to like fragrances that are light, fresh, and clean, so anything reminiscent of incense is probably not for me, but I tend to be a sucker for MM's bottles and fragrance names, haha.

2 Replies
testing