Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Oh really!! I will look.  I never tried any of these and by coincidence when I redeemed the promo this was the last fragrance left and I fell in love!! 😄

they used to carry them in store, and i fell in love with most all of them! 🙂

Day 17: Josie Maran Holistic Fragrance Joy/Sweet Holly

It is still very cold in this part of the country with ice storms and snow that refuses to melt, so even though this one reminds me of Christmas, I felt the weather made it still appropriate. These have very, very mixed reviews. She released these to QVC a couple of months ago in a TSV and has some bottles individually. I haven't tried the other scents, but I really love this one. Joy/Sweet Holly smells exactly like what Christmas greenery smells like. It's piney and fresh, but slightly spicy, and finishes with a sweet cranberry. When I first spritz it, the pine and spice is very strong, but that goes away quickly, and leaves the sweet notes. I can totally see how someone would be sensitive to something like that though. Luckily for me, I am not, and since it was a TSV, it came with body butter in the same scent. The body butter is much, much sweeter, and I don't get the pine or freshness at all. I just put some on actually, I took the travel size with my to work and I leave it on my desk. The set came with auto-delivery, so I'll be able to try a few more of her Holistic Fragrences. I am VERY VERY excited for Lavender Citrus is a few months. I have that scent in a body butter and the Whipped Mud Mask and it may be my favorite scent of hers. 

Spoiler
Day 1: Alien by Muglar (eh)
Day 2: Estee Lauder Modern Muse Chic (yay!)
Day 3: Atelier Orange Sanguine (yay!)
Day 4: D&G Dolce (yay!)
Day 5: Pinrose Merry Maker (yay!)
Day 6: TokyoMilk Dark Pretty Rotten 33 (no)
Day 7: Fresh snow and a frozen nose
Day 8: Lavender and Peppermint Essential Oils
Day 9: YSL Mon Paris (yay!)
Day 10: Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream (eh)
Day 11: British TV shows
Day 12: Lancôme La Vie Est Belle (yay!)
Day 13: Pinrose Tambourine Dreamer (yay!)
Day 14: Balenciaga B. Skin (double yay!)
Day 15: Pinrose Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 16: Pinrose Pinrose + Secret Genius (yay!)

I am doing very bad at this challenge. You guys are doing great! 

It got very cold again and I am slacking on trying new things and going for old comforts. LOL

I hope it continues for a while after the month! 😉

Day 17: Carven Le Parfum

Notes:
Neroli, Mandarin Blossom, White Hyacinth, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Sweet Pea, White Sandalwood, Precious Wood Harmony.

http://www.sephora.com/carven-le-parfum-eau-de-parfum-P383529?skuId=1573880&icid2=carven_leparfumcol...

This is such a nice and relaxing scent. Perfect for a Tuesday that I wish was already a Friday lol. 

Spoiler

Day 16: Tory Burch

Day 15: Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline

Day 14: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Day 13: Tom Ford Velvet Orchid

Day 12: Atelier Cologne Collection Azur Sud Magnolia

Day 11: Marc Jacobs Daisy

Day 10: Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy Noir

Day 9: Burberry Brit Sheer

Day 8: Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black and White

Day 7: Stella by Stella McCartney

Day 6: Miss Dior Absolutely Blooming

Day 5: Flower by Kenzo

Day 4: Maison Margiela Replica Lipstick On

Day 3: Commodity Gold (LOVE)

Day 2: Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 1: YSL Black Opium

@Mcakes - This one sounds nice!

@Titian06 it is! I really liked t when I first put it on but as the day has gone one I'm loving how it has mixed with my chemistry. This is Loves list worthy for sure 💖

Oooh, this one sounds right up my alley. I should check it out. 

Day 17: Tokyo milk dark yesterday 

I generally love everything in the Tokyo milk dark line, and this one is quite nice but very light. Ginger is the dominant note, and I can smell a bit of the rose too- but I can't smell the aged wood at all. I like this, but I think it would be more appropriate if it were a Tokyo milk light scent.

Day 17: Marc Jacobs Violet

Notes: Vanilla, Bergamot, Apple, Violet, Magnolia, Jasmine, White Lily, Kumquat, Musk, Patchouli

I bought this based on name alone- violet is one of my favorite notes.  The bottle is really cute.  Unfortunately, I smell NO VIOLET.  None.  Instead it smells like La Vie Est Belle, Armani Si, etc.  

Day 14: Nothing cuz I forgot.

My notes - Sometimes I'm a flake 

Real notes - .........

Day 15: Tom Ford Oud Wood

My notes - Mmm.  Woody and a little smoky.  I love this scent.  It might go on my birthday list 😉

Real notes - Rare Oud Wood, Sandalwood, Chinese Pepper, Rosewood, Tonka Bean, Vanilla.

Day 16: Charlotte Tillbury Scent of a Dream

My notes - I totally forgot what this smells like but I know I didn't love it.  

Real notes - (All 80000 notes and wacky formating is courtesy of the CT site) 

Top - LEMON, PEACH, BLACK PEPPER, Saffron, Mandarin, Bergamot

HeartTUBEROSE, JASMINE, FRANKINCENSE, HEDIONE, VIOLET, Muguet, Orange Flower, Rose Oil, Tea Rose, Green Ivy, Magnolia

Base - FIRE TREE, ISO E SUPER, PATCHOULI, AMBROXAN, Precious Woods, Cistus, Amber, Castoreum, Musks

Day 17: ELd'O Like this

My notes - I like it but I smell a little like pancakes.

Real notes - Ginger, Pumpkin, Tangerine, Neroli, Vetiver.

Spoiler
Pumpkin pancakes are my favorite.  Nailed it. 

I love Oud Wood, mixed with Tabacco Vanille it is sooo lovely. 🙂

I just got a sample of the oud wood! i'm going to try it out tomorrow, your description sounds delicious 🙂

You and Jem make me want to try Oud Wood on myself lol

Definitely give it a try - it's a very versatile oud 🙂

I caved @pocketvenus!

8d98fa0660a382c9b75aac044e9548b0.jpg

Day 17Rahat Loukoum by Serge Lutens

Smells like cherries! Slightly medicinally when first sprayed, but dries down quickly into a really interesting almondy gourmand. 

I really, REALLY like this! 😄

Notes:

Aldehydes, almond, cherry, hawthorn, rose, heliotrope, white honey, vanilla, tonka bean, balsam, musk

Spoiler
Keeping running tally so that I won't repeat!
Day 16Soul of the Forest by Maison Margiela
Day 15Ombre Indigo by Olfactive Studio
Day 14Eau de Sens by Diptyque
Day 13: Honey Oud by Floris
Day 12: Panorama by Olfactive Studio
Day 11: PHI Une Rose de Kandahar by Tauer
Day 10: Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange
Day 9: Chance EDP by Chanel
Day 8: Missed - "Eau de me" :x
Day 7: Ombre Leather by Tom Ford
Day 6: Straight to Heaven By Killian
Day 5: Bapteme du Feu by Serge Lutens
Day 4: Fir Balsam by L'Antichambre
Day 3: Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens
Day 2
: Maison Margiela Replica Dancing on the Moon
Day 1: Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford   

I LOVE loukhoum/Turkish delight!!

I have a sample of Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri and it's one of the few vials I ordered based on my "perfume profile" that I really enjoyed. Gourmand and rose, what could go wrong?

Ohhhh that one sounds interesting too @k617 - I'll have to order a sample!

@LibellulesWhere is this perfume sold, dear? I would like to go check it out. 🙂

@Smeegle Unfortunately, it is one of those Palais Royale Bell Jar exclusives, which in the U.S. appears to be exclusive to Barneys (though you may happen upon a smaller indie shop that carries it - not sure).

Luckyscent sells samples, as does Surrender to Chance! I think I'm going to order the atomizer from Serge Lutens direct - there are a couple of other places that sell it online, but SL direct is really good about giving lots of samples :D. The atomizer works out to $190 for 2 ounces, whereas a bell jar (while pretty) is $300 for 2.5 ounces.

1 Reply
testing