Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

I like the name! I used to like rahat loukoum, too. But, I can't deal with it any more. Way too sweet! 😛

upload_849371972605460688.jpg

All you need now is some Arabic coffee to go with it! 😉

All joking aside, that bottle is stunning! And, I wonder if it really smells like cherry rose rahat loukoum...? Mmmm....

@Libellules

@lyravega I'm actually not familiar with rahat loukoum the Turkish Delight :D. I kind of want to try it, just because the fragrance was so divine! But I do agree with you that Turkish Delight tends to be very sweet (too sweet for me personally).

I really wish the bottle was widely available! I'm sure that it was a boutique exclusive, very limited edition. Etc..

I'm going to likely break the rules of this challenge and re-wear Rahat Loukoum tomorrow or the next day! I'm considering a purchase of the atomizer, and want to analyze it, so I should have a better answer then. Currently for this challenge, unless it is a tried and true fragrance - I'm only testing them on my wrists (and again, I have one nostril that is congested UGH), so at not full strength I really don't recall picking up on the rose. But it wasn't a linear gourmand - it had more depth (I love Serge Lutens for this <3). I could DEFINITELY smell the cherries, and I could definitely smell the almond, but this isn't an overpowering scent - it is a very delicate gourmand, all things considering. When I sat there and inhaled a whiff - I could pick up on the cherry and almond and fir balsam - but I know there is more!

At least - that's how it was on my skin :D.

It sounds so friggin' good, delightful really, @Libellules ! You definitely make me want to get me a sample of it asap and try it for myself! Yum!

If I was ever to found a scent that smells like rose-almond rahat loukoum and Arabic coffee... I'd be all over it!!!

@lyravega I can't get it out of my mind, so forgive me!

Maybe you can layer it over a little bit of cafe rose? 😛

I'm on the hunt for a coffee scent - that would be divine!

I'll 'deal' with that for you! 😉  the Turkish delight I mean!   Yum! 

Where would one find a sample of this? It sounds delightful. I'm a super fan of gourmands!!

@liv545 Luckyscent has it and I believe Surrender to Chance :). 

What a gorgeous bottle 😮 

I wish that I could buy that bottle! I think it's an LE version

That bottle is stunning!  Sounds yum.  Great find!

I wish that that version of the bottle was available for purchase @michelleshops! I believe that it must have been one of their LE boutique exclusives. Bah.

But, I most definitely want a bottle of this O.O

Day 17: Atelier Cologne Pomélo Paradis. At first, this scent just smelled like really ripe citrus, but I love it now that it mellowed out and I can get some of the floral notes.

Notes:
Pink Pomelo, Calabrian Mandarin, Blackcurrant Bud, Moroccan Orange Blossom, Bulgarian Rose Essence, Mint, Haitian Vetiver, Tuscan Iris, Amber.

I like this one! I like many of them. But, man, those AC fragrances don't last on me! What the what?!

Same here! I love many of their scents, but they don't last on me, either. 

I always think it's funny when the Canadians complain about getting too many Atelier samples. I'd happily trade them all the Tory Burch samples I keep getting.

Haha, so true @txcatx ! Especially because I don't think I'll ever get me a full size bottle of any of them because they don't last and what's the point. So! I'll take all those samples, yes pls! 😄 

Day 17 - Chanel No. 19 Poudre

NOPE NOPE NOPE.

This was a hit of powder to my face, and while it seems to have mellowed a bit after an hour, it's still a big nope for me. I only put on 2 tiny vial sprays and I could smell myself all the way to work. DH doesn't think it's offensive but this is much too powdery for me. I'm reading the Fragrantica reviews and I don't get any of the citrus or the florals. Just powder. At least it's appropriately named?

Notes: Neroli, galbanum, Mandarin orange, iris, vetiver

NOPE

@k617 that nope though!!!! 😂😂😂

Ooof - do not like powder. Sorry!

@Libellules Me neither! But I committed to using these vials...needless to say, I won't need to give this one a second chance! 😉

Day 3: ISSEY MIYAKE l'eau d'issey

it's a dark rainy day here and i wanted a light, fresh scent. issey miyake said he wanted a fragrance that smelled of water, and i love this interpretation of it. i find it interesting that this came out within a year of mugler's 'angel', as this is very much an antithesis of the heavy gourmand that angel is. as angel lead that trend wave of the 90s (well into the 2000s), l'eau d'issey was a leader (if not *the* leader*) of the, perhaps even more ubiquitous "water scent" trend of the 1990s. CK One was introduced only 2 years later, after all.......

(edited to add: if 'angel' is instagram style beauty, then 'l'eau d'issey is glossier. same time, two wildly different trends, both totally legit products of their time....)

top note of melon gives off not a fruity but 'sweet water' introduction, aided by a hint of rose water. so many light airy florals round it out--lotus, lily, water peony, freesia--and it has a base of osmanthus (a real love of mine), sandalwood, cedar and amber (hardly detectable to me, until smelling my clothes the next day).

this was my signature for a couple years back around 2011 when i was actively trying to explore my more feminine, yet understated, side.

previous days in spoiler

Spoiler
DAY 1 Diptyque Tam Dao EDT
DAY 2 Tocca Colette 

This and Chanel Chance are two perfumes that I consistently finish and repurchase without getting bored.

testing