Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Day 8: Prada Candy by Prada.

I first smelled this a while back while browsing the fragrance section of Sephora.  I instantly recoiled because it was so sweet!  Too sweet.  I put it in my mental 'nope' folder for perfumes and went about my business.

Fast forward to today.  I ended up with a sample vial of this as a substitution.  I had planned on trying to pawn it off onto someone else, but I decided that I would try it out on my skin for the sake of this challenge.

My first impression was, 'yup, still sweet', but it wasn't as overwhelmingly, headache-inducingly sweet as I remembered it being.  Then I was like, 'actually this smells pretty good' and spent the next half hour sniffing myself as I went about my morning.

Caramel is the first thing I picked out.  Almost instantly.  There's an underlying powdery-vanilla that becomes more prominent upon drydown that isn't nearly as sweet.  I feel like this is a nice, uncomplicated gourmand that would be great for a fun daytime date or activity.  

I don't know that I'd wear it in warmer weather, but it makes a nice cool/cold weather fragrance.  With the caramel, I'm leaning towards fall.

For me, I don't know that I'd buy a full bottle of it.  The top notes are just a little too sweet for me to wear most of the time, but I'll finish the sample and add it to my list of 'rollerball' wants.

Day 8: Gucci Bamboo!

i LOVE this!! i might need to purchase. it's one of those scents that makes you want to keep smelling yourself.  The lily is the leading note, but I also smells the sandalwood, but neither note is too strong. So glad i finally tried this!

Day 7 Viktor and Rolf BonBon 

To me, it's a more grown up Prada candy, I'll use my sample vials but wouldn't buy a whole bottle. The hair mist I would love though... 

Day 7 - Ann Gerard Rose Cut

Whew...this is a boozy one. I ordered a bunch of rose fragrances (Based on reviews) from a perfume site, and sad to say this isn't my kind of fragrance. DH called it "interesting". I think it's a bit too "grown-up" for me. 😛 I could see myself wearing this when I'm in my 40's (maybe) but even then it's not really my style!

Notes: Rum, roses, pink pepper, patchouli 

Edit: saw someone describe this as "old-fashioned". Completely accurate, probably why I don't feel it's appropriate for me. 

Spoiler
Day 4 - Somethin' Special Sweet Petals (LUSH Rose Jam dupe)
Day 5 - Giorgio Armani Si Intense
Day 6 - Givenchy Dahlia Divin

This reminds me--one of my college friends owns a niche perfume shop in Hong Kong, and they sell Ann Gérard. I'm going to have to ask her for perfume recommendations!

Day 7: It started out as a lazy day of just rearranging some stuff in my beauty room so I wasn't going to wear any perfume.

Then my BF came home and said "wanna go shoe shopping" - with no hesitation I got ready and wore:

Wildfox 🙂

Love Wildfox!  Sounds like the perfect fragrance for shoe shopping 😄

I I did not know they made a fragrance, I love their baggy beach sweaters, super comfy lounge wear @HookedOnBeauty2

Your BF asked if you wanted to go shoe shopping?? Keep him. 

Day 7: I am struggling with extreme laziness, so I played it safe with with one of my favorites rather than reaching into my sample stash, lol. 😆

Chanel N. 5 Eau Premiere

Anonymous Insider

Day 7 Commodity Moss

Jan 7: Tom Ford Shanghai Lily EDP deluxe sample: if it wasn't the high price, I wouldn't mind to have it in my collection. Lovely scent! Sweet but not super sweet.

That one is on my wishlist, I want to try it.

I haven't smelled that one yet.  I wish they came in itty bitty bottles or rollerballs so I could experience more of them.  

It is nice @heartsmyface. Warm, sweet yet complex. Very feminine. I got a 10ml spray bottle from NM. Not sure if it is GWP or just a custom gift from my SA. I agree they should more TF private blends  in sample vials to promote the scents. 

Anonymous Insider

Day 7- started out with Eau So Sexy by V.S.  I've had co-workers tell me I'm to old to be wearing it..I'm 47 and most of them smell like coffins anyways.  Is that even a smell?  Got accidentally showered with Miss Dior's Blooming Bouquet...that was a bonus because I've been wanting to try it..had the SA make me up a sample and will more than likely buy it next week.  I agreed to a "no buy", only replacements or essentials but I  conveniently left perfume out of the deal😉!

That's so rude of your coworkers! You should wear whatever you like (barring people's allergies), and they can stuff it!  Here's a handy manual for you to keep on your desk:

IMG_0340.JPG

Day 7: Stella by Stella McCartney

This is such a pretty scent! I don't know if I've explained how I'm doing this challenge. I keep all my samples in a candy dish (picture of this is a couple of pages back) and reach my hand in and whatever I get is what I get for the day. It's fun never knowing what I'm going to get! Luckily nothing has been gross yet lol. 

Notes:
Rose, Peony Flower, Mandarin, Rose Absolute, Amber.
Style:
Sensual. Intense. Feminine.

http://www.sephora.com/stella-P50714?skuId=1647510&icid2=products%20grid:p50714

Spoiler

Day 6: Miss Dior Absolutely Blooming

Day 5: Flower by Kenzo

Day 4: Maison Margiela Replica Lipstick On

Day 3: Commodity Gold (LOVE)

Day 2: Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 1: YSL Black Opium

Anonymous Insider

I love Stella - It's a great rose perfume. 

I like this one a lot!  

My scents are being randomly selected(from a pouch as well, although I cheated and went though a bunch yesterday and today to oust the scents that offended me when sprayed on paper.  I'm confident now that I won't be gagging some early morning this month.

Day 7: Fresh snow and a frozen nose.

Not a perfume. Since we've gotten some more I went out to take some pictures and was too bundled up to even smell anything I'd put on. 

1 Reply
testing