Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Day 6 Olfactive Studio Lumiere Blanche: sheer spicy opening dominated by cinnamon, that mellows out into a milky, musky sandalwood. It is my second try, and I really want to like it but it's a meh. I like spicy and I like sheer, but I am not a fan of sheer spicy.. 

TOP: Cardamom, Star anise, Cinnamon
HEART: Iris, Almond milk, Cashmere wood
BASE: Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, White musks

Day 6 Aedes de Venustas Signature: opens with a burst of bright citrus, which quickly gives way to a green rhubarb accord. It is surprisingly just like slightly unripe fresh rhubarb stems. It slowly turns more vetiver-y. The incense isn't very noticeable but definitely there. I would love a bigger decant of this.

Rhubarb, Tomato leaf, Redcurrant, Honeysuckle, Vetiver, Incense

Day 7 Aedes de Venustas Iris Nazarena: a grey iris. I thought 'shades of grey' (no relation to '50 shades of grey') as soon as putting it on :). The leather and incense are giving the iris note an earthy but dry and comfy background. It's just below ISM as my second favorite iris. Probably full bottle material..

Top: Iris, Ambrette, Juniper berry, Star anise
Heart: Leather, Oud, Clove, Rose de mai
Base: Incense, Woods, Musk, Vetiver

Spoiler
Log - 'love's marked with (*)
Day 1: Neela Vermeire Trayee
Day 2: Neela Vermeire Bombay Bling
           Neela Vermeire Pichola
Day 3: Neela Vermeire Mohur*
Day 4: Neela Vermeire Ashoka
Day 5: Marni Marni
           Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose*
Day 6: Olfactive Studio Lumiere Blanche
          Aedes de Venustas Signature
Day 7: Aedes de Venustas Iris Nazarena 

I've tried lumiere blanche! I remember it's quite light, and I remember just getting creamy sandalwood as well. 

Aedes de Venustas Iris Nazarena sounds super interesting!

I started a little notebook page of scents that sound interesting to me because of this challenge. So far I have 4 wrote down...and all 4 have been ones you've tried. ๐Ÿ™‚

I am flattered @Samtian ๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜™

Day 7: Blood Orange Chocolat by Note Fragrances

Scent Trunk again. This doesn't so much smell like chocolate as it does chocolate scent. Like the smell of a brown scented marker or a chocolate scented toy. The blood orange is nonexistant on me. 

I'm pretty impressed with the longevity though, especially for a gourmand. No wonder I've been craving brownies all bloody day!

Previous Days:

Spoiler
Day 6: Derek Lam Crosby Blackout
Day 5: Lady Vengeance by Juliette Has a Gun 
Day 4: Fleur d'Aspiration by La Fleur by Livvy 
Day 3: Fat Electrican by Etat Libre d'Orange 
Day 2: Coconut Milk by Sarah Horowitz 
Day 1: Atelier Vanilla Incensee and Orange Sanguine

Day 7: Pinrose Merry Maker

i've worn this before, as i had a few sample toweletes here and there, and i really like it! It starts out as a light floral (violet notes) but as it fades i can smell the nectarine and citrus. i need to check out more pinrose scents ๐Ÿ™‚

LOVE this one! All of Pinrose's scents are amazing. I picked up the mini rollerball set and it's fabulous. I think there are 10, and it's fun to layer them. My favorite combinations are Secret Genius with Pinrose and Merry Maker with Tambourine Dreamer. 

Day 7: Chanel Allure Eau de Parfum

"Sparkling notes of Mandarin combine with the softness of May Rose and the sensuality of Vanilla.

Difficult to define, impossible to resist. Clean and sheer, warm and sexy, ALLURE is a floral, fresh Oriental fragrance."

I love this one! One of my favorites. I am going through my sample stash for this challenge, but today I am making an exception...

So feminine, and... comforting? Definitely elegant. It really makes me feel so good.

Day 6: Chloe Eau de Parfum

Fragrance Family:
Floral

Scent Type:
Powdery Florals

Key Notes:
Peony, Rose, Honey, Cedarwood.

Eh. I don't care for this one. Plain and simple. Not sure what about it exactly is offending my nose, but I can't stand it on me.

Day 7:  Escada โ€“ Born in Paradise

Top Notes:  green apple, watermelon, guava

Middle Notes:  coconut, pineapple

Base Notes:  sandalwood, cedar, musk

I really like this scent, except there is something in it that is a little overpowering, making it a bit too sweet (but not the type of sweet that gives me a migraine), possibly the coconut(?).  Unfortunately, this fragrance is LE and I'm about out.  If anyone knows a similar scent, please let me know!

Compiled:

Spoiler

Day 6:  Moschino โ€“ Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 5:  Chanel - No. 5 L'eau

Day 4:  Elizabeth & James - Nirvana Bourbon

Day 3:  YSL - Black Opium

Day 2:  Pacifica - Tunisian Jasmine Lime

Day 1:  Juliette Has a Gun - Not a Perfume

Oh, wow! Those notes sure sound interesting! I wish I could give it a sniff. ๐Ÿ˜›

Day 7- Tom Ford Neroli Portofino Acqua

Notes:
Tunisian Neroli, Italian Bergamot, Sicilian Lemon, Winter Yellow Mandarin, Orange Flower, Lavender.

To me this is just an ok scent. I really hate lavender.

http://www.sephora.com/neroli-portofino-P378133?skuId=1489384&icid2=products%20grid%3Ap378133

I am actually surprised that I am quite liking this scent! I HATE lavender but it just doesn't come through on me, and the neroli is just perfection in this.

Oh this scent is one of my favourites although I do go through it at an alarming pace.  It has no staying power.  

Too bad you hate lavender ๐Ÿ˜ž It's one of my personal favorites. I use the EO for all sorts of things. 

Day 7: Giorgio Armani acqua di Gioa body lotion 

I love love love the scent of this stuff but the lotion is too potent for my tastes,  there's no way I could apply this all over without making everyone who comes within four meters of me tear up.  I apply it just to my legs, ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'm trying to use this bottle up cause it's been around for 3 years maybe 4.  

Anonymous Insider

One of my favs..I actually love all the scents in that line.  I agree that the lotion is potent, I apply on arms instead of legs.  I'm backwards as usual๐Ÿ˜€

Day 7: YSL Black Opium, dark and fruity at the same time, great for the weekend!

Anonymous Insider

My daughter got this for me for xmas..best gift ever.  I get a latte smell from it..I'm not good with all the note things so I don't even know if there's a milky note to it.

Day 7: Jo Malone Dark Amber and Ginger Lily (sample vial)

Day 6: Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire EDT (mini)

I enjoy both of these! Ginger notes are really growing on me lately, and I love the black cherry of LPRN. 

Spoiler
Day 5: E&J Nirvana Rose (rollerball)
Day 4: Derek Lam 10 Crosby Ellipsis (sample vial)
Day 3: Marc Jacobs Decadence (rollerball)
Day 2: Derek Lam 10 Crosby 2am Kiss (sample vial)
Day 1: Philosophy Fresh Cream (body spray)

Dark Amber and Ginger Lily is a favorite of mine. I find it comfy and delicious in winter ๐Ÿ˜„

Day 7: Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb. At first, it smelled like incense on me, and then it eventually sweetened up. Viktor and Rolf's perfumes always make me think of their um, creative responses to our questions. http://community.sephora.com/t5/Sephora-Show-Tell/In-Focus-Viktor-amp-Rolf/ba-p/2588787

Notes:
Sambac Jasmine, Centifolia Rose, Cattleya Orchid, Ballerina Freesia, Patchouli.

testing