Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Day 3: Prada Candy

Key Notes:
White Musks, Benzoin, Caramel Accord

It smells good enough. Not something I plan to buy. Didn't last long on me.

http://www.sephora.com/candy-P376127?skuId=1610252&icid2=prada_candy_carousel%3Ap376127

Day 3 TokyoMilk Dark Tainted Love

C/P from their website:

"Fragrance Notes:
Dark Vanilla Bean, Orchid, White Tea, Sandalwood

Description:
Not for the faint of heart, a fragrance sparked by the complexities of love with warm notes of Dark Vanilla Bean, moody Sandalwood and an unexpected kiss of sweet Orchid."

This is a favourite of mine. On me it smells like a warm spiced vanilla, and is quite sweet and cozy. 

Tainted love is one of my favorites!

Day 3: Commodity Gold

I am so surprised by this scent! I mean I never really knew what to expect with a scent called Gold but it's not this. I smell like something from my childhood but I can't put my finger on it. A Barbie? A Cabbage Patch doll? I don't know...but I like it 😛

http://www.sephora.com/gold-P395000?skuId=1700053&icid2=products%20grid:p395000

I'd definitely consider getting this in full size! 

I wore this on day one! I really really liked it!

Anonymous Insider

Day 3 YSL Black Opium

Day 3: Commodity Moss on one arm, layered with Book on the other

i like these, masculine without being too over the top to wear myself. Moss smells green without being too fresh. The dry down is lovely sexy guy neck, lol. Book actually smells like dusty vetiver to me, very nice mixed with Moss but too much vetiver on its own for me. The citrus isn't too pronounced in either, which I like. 

i love both of these fragrances. i just wish they lasted longer on me ! i find they disappear rather quick. have you had that experience ?

Yes. After about 2 hours I have to put my wrist right in my face to smell it. Usually that bothers me but not with these for some reason. I have the travel spray of both. 

Day 3: Marc Jacobs Decadence (rollerball)

This was a Christmas gift to myself after I tried a sample and really liked it. It's my current favorite of the  Marc Jacobs fragarences.

Spoiler
Day 2: Derek Lam 10 Crosby 2am Kiss (sample vial)
Day 1: Philosophy Fresh Cream (body spray)

I hope you all don't mind if I try to join in. I have so many samples of things that I really need to crack into, and I'm hoping this will serve as motivation.

Day 3: Parfumerie Generale - Felanilla (my take: smoky vanilla meets nouveau grandma... I'm digging it!)

Day 2: Elizabeth and James - Nirvana Bourbon (this is barely there on me-- a whisper-- but there's a muted spiceness that lingers that I actually like)

Day 1: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Grand Soir (opening is sensational, but then it turns into a standard blue bottle cologne on me)

I need to give nirvana bourbon another go tomorrow, thanks for mentioning that one! I tried it once and didn't like it but I feel one spray is never enough to really gauge a perfume

I was initially disappointed in Nirvana Bourbon because it was so faint on me. I wanted the spiceness to be stronger, like I imagined it should be for some reason. i think I'll give it another try though.

@JennVA Nirvana Bourbon was quite faint on me as well.  It was soft at first and then completely disappeared.  I don't think it works with my skin chemistry.

GPL I'VE MISSED YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!! xoxoxoxox

Welcome to the fragrance challenge, @greenporchlights!

Thanks, @txcatx! Glad to be here. 🙂

Jan 1: Acqua Di Parma Rose Noble EDP sample vial. I quite like it. First time I tried this brand.

Jan 2: Chanel Coco Mademoiselle EDP. Love it! I first tried it when it first launched in 2001(?). I love it so much that I finished the whole 100ml bottle within 5 yrs (I think). This is my 2nd 100ml bottle and I think it will last until I'm old and gray 😉

Jan 3: Tom Ford Noir Pour Femme EDP sample vial. It is interesting. A bit too strong for me but the scent is wearable for me during fall/winter.

Day 3:  YSL - Black Opium

Notes:
Coffee Accord, Orange Blossom, Cedarwood Essence, Patchouli Essence.

Compilation:

Spoiler

Day 2:  Pacifica - Tunisian Jasmine Lime

Day 1:  Juliette Has a Gun - Not a Perfume

Day 3: Atelier Orange Sanguine.

I absolutely LOVE this one. It smells like the juiciest, freshest orange without being too sweet or overpowering. After all the Atelier talk yesterday, I wanted to wear it today. I actually have 2 travels sprays of it, both from sets. One from the summer's Chic It Easy and the other from a Atelier gift set of 4 citrusy scents. I kept this one and Cedrat Enivrant. I traded Pomelo Paradis and Bergamote Soleil.  

Love all the scents you listed. Most of them are on my wish list for full size bottle 😉

1 Reply
testing