Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Parents Only

Skincare for pre-teen boy

Hello everyone.. So, I am in need of some recommendations for skincare for a pre-teen boy who is just starting to experience some acne... Needs to be

1. Gentle - NO super stength acne fighters please, just emphasis on starting a skincare routine

2. Simple / Quick  to use

Bonus if the products come in a trial kit and are part of the clean line ( though not a necessity)

Thank you everyone ❤

Re: Skincare for pre-teen boy

Hi @Canadabear ! Judging by your username, I assume you're in Canada...? I'm not sure what's available over-the-counter in Canada vs. the US, but hopefully my product recommendations are easy to find where you live. 

A good skincare routine at any age can be as simple as a gentle PM cleanser, AM & PM moisturizer, and AM sunscreen. (An AM face wash is optional for some people, based on what their skin needs.) So I recommend: 

1. Gentle cleanser (nightly; optional in the morning) - CeraVe Hydrating Cream-to-Foam cleanser if the pre-teen boy's skin is "normal"/balanced to dry. If his skin is typically oily, CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser may be a better option. You really just want a cleanser that won't leave his skin feeling dry, tight, or "squeaky clean." Also, remind him that he doesn't need to scrub/rub his face hard for cleanser to work. CeraVe's available at local drugstores. Also consider Cetaphil or Vanicream, 2 other effective drugstore brands. 

2. Moisturizer (morning and night) - Depending on his skin type/behavior, consider CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (contains petrolatum and is good for dry skin; note that petrolatum does not clog pores and is the most occlusive—waterloss-preventing—skincare ingredient available) or CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion (oil-free; contains dimethicone instead of petrolatum and has a lighter texture than the cream moisturizer). Many folks with oily skin like CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizer (oil-free, dimethicone-based, light texture; can be used AM & PM). I have mostly-dry combo skin and use Vanicream Daily Facial Moisturizer in the morning. Vanicream Moisturizing Cream is another one to consider for dry skin. Also consider Cetaphil moisturizers. 

3. Broad spectrum sunscreen (daily) - Should be at least SPF 30 and applied to ALL skin exposed to sunlight (eyelids, ears, behind ears, nape of neck, hairline, etc.) all year long, regardless of weather or season. Doesn't matter if it's a mineral/physical or chemical sunscreen, since both types work mostly the same way and one's not better than the other (despite what the "clean beauty" crowd claims). A sunscreen that contains at least one good moisturizing ingredient can be used as both moisturizer and sunscreen, which shortens the morning skincare routine. 

Finding "the right" sunscreen involves trial and error, since there's a lot of personal preference involved. I can't speak to CeraVe's sunscreens as I've never used them, but they do make a couple of SPF 30 moisturizers as well as several straight-up sunscreens. I think all their sunscreens are mineral (zinc oxide) except their AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion, which is a hybrid (chemical + mineral) sunscreen. Vanicream recently launched a mineral sunscreen I haven't tried yet. Also consider sunscreens by La Roche-Posay, Eucerin, Cetaphil, and Aveeno. If those sunscreens contain an ingredient like petrolatum, dimethicone, shea butter, or squalane, then it can probably be used as a moisturizer, at least outside of winter. (I live in Chicago. During winter here, I need my usual Vanicream moisturizer under whichever sunscreen I use.) 

Once he gets used to this simple routine, consider introducing a salicylic acid (BHA) cleanser that he can swap out with his regular cleanser a few times a week to treat acne. CeraVe makes 2 of them, though I recommend their Acne Control Cleanser that contains 2% BHA. The INKEY List Salicylic Acid Cleanser 5 oz / 150 ml is another good option (also contains 2% BHA). Tell him to lather it onto his skin, let it sit for a couple minutes, and then rinse it off. That'll give the BHA long-enough skin contact to do its job. 

Re: Skincare for pre-teen boy

I am not a parent but I sure remember what it was like being at that age and trying to look for stuff LOL!  All he really needs is a cleanser and sunscreen so I would recommend the Inkey List Salicylic Acid Cleanser and maybe the Supergoop PLAY Mineral Lotion SPF? But honestly, try looking for mineral-based or maybe oil-free sunscreen formulas at the drugstore since it might have better options. Hope that helps!

Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing