cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Parents Only
|

About retinol

Hey there 

My mom is 38 I wanna buy to her The Ordinary Retinol 0.2% in Squalane, Signs of Aging Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL 

Can you please tell what percentage retinol should I buy to her ? 0.2? 0.5 or 1%????

Re: About retinol

Hi @Tafriya ! 49 year old here with inflammation-prone skin. If your mother has sensitive skin and/or has never used retinol (or any other retinoid: tretinoin/Retin-A, retinaldehyde, adapalene/Differin, etc.), choose the 0.2% or 0.5% retinol. The 0.5% could be a good starting point for her. 

Also, be sure to tell her to start slowly with whichever retinol you get her: use it just 1 or 2 nights a week for a few weeks, then ramp up to 2 or 3 nights a week, and keep gradually increasing frequency until she's comfy at nightly or every other night. That way, she can reduce potential irritation. Oh, and let her know purging (new acne) and some irritation within the first month of retinol use is normal; it should clear up after a month. If it doesn't, her skin might be in bad reaction mode and she should stop using the retinol. 

@Tafriya  I am 38 and I use The Ordinary Retinol 1% in Squalane, Signs of Aging Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL  I got that strength because I can always add more squalane oil to the retinol in my hands to dilute it before applying to my face. I dilute it when I first started using retinol then gradually went to using the 1% straight. 

I swear by their 1% mix in Squalane. I'm 36, so close to your mum's age.

@WandaTheWitch  Me tooo!

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing