Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in PLAY! by SEPHORA
|

ipsy to play

I am thinking of changing from ipsy to play. What do people prefer? What has come in the last few bags?

I am still waiting for my first play box, but I cancelled...

I am still waiting for my first play box, but I cancelled my Ipsy subscription, I got a lot of drugstore samples. I wanted to try higher-end items, since they are more expensive (and more of a bummer when they don't work out. Did you know Urban Decay Naked Skin foundation "oxidizes" on your skin and changes color? $40 later I found out...) and drugstore makeup is affordable, with LOTS of reviews online. I'm psyched for my first box, plus the points!! I did find I preferred Birchbox over Ipsy, I read on here that a woman kept getting tea samples from Birchbox, but I had no such experience. Good luck deciding your favorite!

Re: ipsy to play

Hi @allytollison

I strongly recommend you check out our Subscription Box thread where members review a large variety of subscriptions and compare them to other popular subscriptions.

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Haul-Stars/Subscription-box-photo-sharing/m-p/973905#M103434

I had both, but recently cancelled ipsy. I liked ipsy, the bags were cute, and I did like the products I would get, but there was also a lot more hit or miss with ipsy versus Play in terms of whether the products worked for me. I also tended to get a lot of drugstore brands from ipsy, which isn't the case with Play. While I have nothing against drugstore brands and still have products I enjoy that are drugstore, I do this to play with new makeup and I'd rather try out higher ends brands for that. I will miss getting brushes though.

RE: ipsy to play

I have both but personally prefer Play over Ipsy. With Ipsy is always pretty much the same thing over and over again. You can change your bio and it'll still have you repeats of what you were already given before. As Play gives you way better quantity and higher name brands, new things each time 🙌🏽

RE: ipsy to play

I am doing both, I am not much help.

I like the brands I get from Sephora play.  I don't think my profile does much to influence what I get from Sephora play, they seem to pick certain products and everyone will get samples from that group.  I know other people in my are that subscribe and they will get one different thinking than me.  I like how Sephorasa seems to tie into a theme more than ipsy.  Some of the sizes are bigger from ipsy, but Sephora sends deluxe or travel size samples from higher prices tag items.  I've never gotten the monthly eyeshadow or eyeliner from Sephora that I get from ipsy, if you need to increase your collection.  YouTube Sephora has a Play channel that will go over what items they are mainly sending.  Just know that you get 5 samples and one fragerence sample:)

Here is the latest box smallest beauty blender (think eye...

Here is the latest box smallest beauty blender (think eyes and lip cups bow), Clinique dual ended mascara and primer (0.08 oz), Hourglass Vanish foundation in Shell (0.04 oz) with my profile wearing Vanilla that I bought a few months ago, Korres Golden Krocus Serum ((0.14 fl oz), Alterna Caviar Multiplying Volume Mist (1.4 fl. oz.), and then the perfume sampler!

I had ipsy for a year, they kept giving me the same eyeshadow palette & creams, same nail polish too. It got so boring. I changed my profile a lot too, thinking they would stop, but nope. I got really tired of it.

After switching to Play, I haven't had any repeats, every item is different and super good.

I tried Birch box too, and got annoyed with all the teas I kept getting??? WTF TEA??

I thought I was supposed to get make up. Super annoyed with them. Never went back after 4 months of freaking TEA (grumble grumble because it was 20 bucks!)

@allytollison Hello! If you want to compare ipsy and Play boxes/bags, this thread is going to be super helpful 🙂 It shows past boxes/bags from lots of subscription boxes.

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Haul-Stars/Subscription-box-photo-sharing/td-p/973905

(There's some Play spoilers on the 2nd page 😉 )

I had ipsy for a while. then a tried birchbox which was w...

I had ipsy for a while. then a tried birchbox which was way better. now I have play! and I like both birchbox and play! however i like shopping with Sephora on line, they have more products on line.

I've been subscribed to ipsy for almost 5yrs n i was subs...

I've been subscribed to ipsy for almost 5yrs n i was subscribed to birchbox as well but i cancelled my birchbox to try Sephora. this will be my 1st month of Sephora but im planning on keeping my ipsy subscription. i also have a subscription problem lol least its only $10 for or subscriptions js😄

@allytollison I think it depends what you're hoping for. If you want more luxury brands sephora play is the way to go as everything in the bag is sold at Sephora where as ipsy often as drug store items. On the other hand, ipsy allows you a lot more choices in selection where as other than filling out a profile you have no say in what you get with Sephora. 

My subscription addiction is a great place to search previous box items 

testing