Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in PLAY! by SEPHORA
|

Why do I keep getting PLAY boxes with no makeup? Tips/Advice/Opinions?

(Long post, sorry!) I saw the spoilers for my PLAY! box number and I'm begining to feel really sad and defeated. I am a licensed cosmetologist and I have recently started to focus my career more on makeup, and I had hoped this would be a fun way to discover and have experience with more cosmetic products. PLAY! had seemed to be one of the more makeup-focused beauty subscriptions. But this is my third PLAY! box and the third one in a row that has little-to-no makeup, even compared to the other boxes of the month.

The first month I had literally no makeup products at all, it was only skin and haircare. The second month I got the 2 lip products (because everyone did) and even though they weren't colors or formulas that suit me I was just hopeful to be getting makeup at all. But again this month, I will only be getting one eyeliner (which I own already) along with a few really irrelevant hair and skincare products, where some box numbers had up to 4 pieces of makeup AND better hair and skincare products.

Is there anything I can do or is this subscription just not meant for me?

I understand the boxes are loosely curated based on your beauty profile, but I can't for the life of me figure out what in my profile indicates that I'm not interested in makeup? I have tried tweaking my profile a couple times but it seems like the only thing actually paid attention to is that I have dry skin and hair and I just get a box full of conditioner and moisturizer as if I don't already have a closet full of them.

I wrote customer service to see if there was something I was doing wrong or could change or if this is just how my PLAY! boxes are going be (in which case I would have to cancel, I can't afford to waste money) and was basically just told if there are specific kinds of products I want to try that I can come into the store.... I have a lot of problems with that response but I'm not even gonna touch that right now.

Is it just time to accept that this subscription is a waste of my money and cancel? I will be so sad if it has to come to that, all I wanted was some makeup, ANY makeup. I know it's a silly thing to get so upset over, but makeup is one of the few joys I have in my life right now.

(And thank you to whomever has taken the time to read my venting!!!)

Re: Why do I keep getting PLAY boxes with no makeup? Tips/Advice/Opinions?

I really love Sephora and the concept, but each time that passes by the products keep getting more boring on unrelatable. We are asked to fill out our profile and skin needs, yet I keep getting anti-aging products and things that don’t necessarily suit my lifestyle (and repeated products over and over again)... as a result, I keep giving away my stuff to sisters/mother. If the next box doesn’t get any better I’m cancelling and subscribing to another box. 

Why do I keep getting PLAY boxes with no makeup? Tips/Advice/Opinions?

I hear You! Posted my disappointment as well. I am getting skincare for oily skin and redness. I have combo/dry skin and no redness. My subscription is not hindering my career but I am new to wearing make up and wish the items were at least relevant to my needs!
2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing