Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in PLAY! by SEPHORA
|

Ways to improve Play!

I like the idea of a subscription box from Sephora, but there are some things about it that really annoy me. I keep getting the neutral lip gloss option instead of bright lipstick and I HATE lip gloss. Okay, so I don't like one product in my bag, big deal--but there is no way to report this to Sephora and improve my bag. I think the quiz needs to be improved to where we can indicate our preferences in products and colors (kind of like the Ipsy quiz). Additionally, I think we need a way to rate the items we received in our box, in a way that affects what products they send in future boxes. What improvements would you suggest for Sephora Play?

Ways to improve Play!

I stopped getting the box due to getting repeats in less than a years time, like the Belif aqua bomb cream.

Re: Ways to improve Play!

While I understand that some (most?) of the samples included don't suit everyone, and of course that's frustrating, and still...  These suggestions (virtually in their entirety) aren't realistic for a $10/month beauty box.  It's likely most people aren't going to agree with this, that what is being requested would mean a hike in the cost.  I personally think it's worth $10/month and don't particularly want to pay more.  It is correct that some of the other services are a bit better on matching samples - I'm not sharing my offer code to make something off of anyone but I recommend trying the Allure box, or Ipsy.  I love Birchbox too.  Sephora isn't the best of the lot, but is definitely worth the $10 investment to try things I'd never think to buy.  It works out to $2 a sample, and sure some of them I'll never use (I'm very fair, and the last few foundation samples have been far too dark for me) and so I simply give them away or put  them into the Goodwill box.  I don't feel like I've been ripped off if I can't use one of the samples, or choose not to.  I still think it's worth the cost, and we also get the points if we shop (and who doesn't?) and access to tutorials also.  It's just really not a bad deal, even if there is room for improvement.  It seems very doubtful to happen unless the price goes up & I for one would rather not pay more.

RE: Ways to improve Play!

This is my first time getting the Play! Box. Does everyone get exactly the same thing everytime? Also do they look at the survey to create the box? I have really oily skin so I can’t use the smash box primer and I have pinkish tones in my skin so I’ll probably stay away from the makeup forever blush too. Does the boxes get better or is it like hit and miss? I absolutely hate ipsy for several different reasons so I stopped getting ipsy to get Play! But this box didn’t wow me...

Re: RE: Ways to improve Play!

I've been getting the Play! boxes for a while and IMHO, I think it's simply hit & miss.  I've had a few that were great, and a few that I literally couldn't use any of it.  And I don't think (based on my experience and what others say) that any attention is given to our profiles.  I'm fairly sure everyone gets the same exact box without any effect from the profiles.  You just get what you get, use if you can & give away those you can't use.  I'm surprised you don't like Ipsy but everyone has their own opinions.  Mine happens to be that I like Play! even if it's not always items I can use.  Sephora didn't state any guarantees and for $10, what we get is worth it.  Again, this is just my opinion! and I know others don't feel the same way.  It's all good, we all have our own thoughts about this subject!

Ways to improve Play!

I would love to be able to pick from some pre-generated combinations. Would be a lot better than shots in the dark!

The problem with allowing more customization is that it would (unfortunately) pose a couple of different issues, both on the consumer side AND on Sephora's side.  It would most likely drive up the price of the box for subscribers, first of all, and the low price point is honestly one of the reasons that I like the subscription.  Granted, I would love to consistently get products of my choice but I wonder how much it would cost compared to the subscription now.  The problem for Sephora would be supply and demand.  On the extreme side, say that everyone chose Box A and no one chose Box B; if Sephora has already purchased the products for both, they automatically lose out.

Don't misunderstand; I wish that we could choose our own products, too, but I guess I kind of understand (to a degree) why Sephora has chosen the delivery method that they currently have.  

Great question! I think the biggest issue is that Sephora...

Great question! I think the biggest issue is that Sephora just doesn't have the infrastructure to handle personalized boxes like say, Ipsy or Birchbox. Play is a side business for Sephora, while Ipsy and Birchbox IS their business. I think they should just send generic boxes within a theme, like you said. Something like Skin Care-oily, Skin Care-dry, Makeup-Adventurous, Makeup-Traditional, Hair Care-Curl, etc. The perfume samples could be replace by choosing an extra random fragance, skin care, hair care OR makeup sample, like Ulta does.

The largest issue seems to be customization, on all the PLAY! forums. There are already set forms for the boxes, as in, there are already set combinations of products which could be sent out each month. Clearly, a different set cannot be made for each customer, but I think it would be fair to allow them to pick which set they get that month. I would have loved to get #093 or #85 for example, but I'm allergic to the primer I got in my box. If I could have chosen which January box I got that would have solved all my problems. For other people who would have liked to receive or not a fragrance, skincare, etc item, I think choosing which box they get would make the most sense, and solve every single problem I've seen in the forums so far. There could still be guidance on which box is thought to be best, but people would get the samples they wanted, with no extra work from Sephora. For example, it could be presented as an email each month "Here are boxes A, B, C, D, E, and F. B is the one we think would make you happiest because of your profile, but you can decide which you'd love to try this month!". I think that would solve every person's issue, and it would give people a curated choice thatSephora would pick, but allow for the customization people want. I think this solution would keep everyone in mind, and make it so no onereceived a box entirely of duds. Everyone seems to have a box they would be happy with, whether they receive it or not, and this way everyone would get what they want with no additional effort from Sephora.

Regarding my sephora box, Is there any way to get an eye liner other than black. I've only received color eye liner twice. It's usually black & I rarely wear black. thanks for any assistance you can provide. Mia

I hate the lipsticks I always receive that are based on m...

I hate the lipsticks I always receive that are based on my skin tone. I feel like we should be able to choose more options on our profile concerning what look we're going for. I prefer more nude or dark cool toned lipsticks over all the hot pinks I get.

I would love to be able to rate my items and have my box become more and more personalized each time. Another thing that I would really appreciate is the option to only receive cruelty-free products!

November and December I got almost the same very disappointed

I think that’s genius!!! Sephora is my favorite. I unfortunately, don’t have a store anywhere near me, so I also like the idea of being able to use my points online somehow? Also, it seems like overall, we all would like it somehow more personalized. Which, makes sense. We try it, we love it(because it’s something we wanted, and needed for our skin type, tone,etc...we just maybe didn’t know it yet!!!), and we buy it from Sephora, of course!!!I personally don’t care for a ton of hair products, I don’t even have it marked on my profile. But, I get more hair products, than anything else. Once in awhile would be perfect. Not every month!! Overall, Sephora really is the best.!!! Customer service is great ( except apparently (on-line)follow through? -that’s a different area of improvement. Somehow lost an overnight shipping credit on my account?? CSR that respond on-line, and have the information right there, should take care of situation. Not ignore/ be rude etc. Any CSR I’ve ever spoken on phone to has always been amazing!! Anyone else problem with online CSR? Wish improvements for people like me, who don’t have any Sephora Store to actually physically go to!!!! Sorry, just a little side note- improvement ) Just small changes, could probably make a big difference... either way, Thanks Sephora!!! I’ve learned a lot this past year, through the Play! Box& the Sephora App. Thank you to everyone who writes reviews. You also have helped me in so many ways!!! I will spend hours reading and researching one product before finally deciding.. So, between that, and the samples, that’s usually how I end up ordering. (Love how I’m finally tying this together!!, sorry it’s long!). With samples that are better suited for me, I’m sure to find that perfect product, well products,I never knew how I lived without them!!!

Re: RE: Ways to improve Play!

I am a little surprised that the thoughts here reflect that you can't use your Play! points online, only in store.  That's not correct!  The 50 points absolutely can be used online, when you make a purchase.  I don't particularly like the way it works because you have to enter it as a promo code & are only allowed one so, in order to get the points you have to give up any other promos that are available.  It's about whether you want the points or a different promo.  I typically will go for the points, since a lot of the promos are samples that I already have received.  And by doing so I've worked my points balance to over 800 now.  What I DO NOT like is that the only way to get the points is making a purchase & entering the Play! promo.  I spend way too much money here, and getting the 50 points gives me a reason to make another purchase.  That's my problem though!  So, don't throw away the card from the Play! box unless you are positive that you either aren't going to make an online purchase by the end date, or know that you'll take a different (sample) promo.

Make the points available to use online not just in store...

Make the points available to use online not just in store. It's not fair to the people who do most of their purchasing online

Re: Make the points available to use online not just in store...

I agree, my closest Sephora is also far away.

yes!! my closest sephora is almost 3 hours away. I toss m...

yes!! my closest sephora is almost 3 hours away. I toss my points in the garbage and it makes me sad 😞
Anonymous Insider

RE: Make the points available to use online not just in store...

Yes!!! The closest store to me is over an hour away!

RE: Make the points available to use online not just in store...

Plus, not everyone is a reasonable distance to a Sephora. Before they added a Sephora inside jc penny’s at my local mall, the closet was 70 miles away in Syracuse NY.

Hi @Knowledgebeauty - thank you for sparking this conversation! We love to hear this kind of feedback and appreciate everyone's great ideas. 

Thank you for helping PLAY! be the best it can be.

xoxo,

Team PLAY!

Conversation Stats
testing