Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in PLAY! by SEPHORA
|

“Spirit Animal” bag... haven’t we all agreed not to do this??

I thought that we were no longer Co-opting Native culture and symbolism. This is sad for a big company. Festivals / festival goers need to cease using native images for branding and styling... come on! It’s 2018

RE: “Spirit Animal” bag... haven’t we all agreed not to do this??

Thank you for making a convo about this. I’m upset nothing’s been said or done. I immediately cancelled my monthly subscription because of it. I’m sick and tired.

I have watched this post and it’s responses since it was originally posted, and struggled with deciding whether or not to contribute, butafter seeing some of these responses I feel compelled. You may not thinkthat this is offensive, because it holds no significance to you. We live in a world where you have become desensitized to understanding or being empathetic to what others hold sacred. “Blah blah is my spirit animal” has been coined a trendy saying, but that doesn’t make it any less offensive. There are some things you just don’t do, or are taboo inmarketing such as singling out and bringing attention to marketing using aspects of a single religion, race, gender etc. So what if the bag said “make up is my Allah” or “make up is my blood of Christ” or “I wear beauty like a Yamaka”. There are some things that while may not hold importance to you, poke fun or insult other groups and cultures, and just because it doesn’t offend you, it doesn’t meanit’s not offensive in general. My grandparents hid their native roots infear of persecution. And now society thinks it’s cool and uses what some consider part of their family history and spiritual beliefs to be trendy. There is a difference between appropriation and appreciation. Perhaps if worded differently, or if the bags were hand made by a tribe and proceeds or a percentage went to their reservation I would be more understanding. My dad was saved by his spirit animal. Saved his life. And he has it tattooed on him to remind himself and honor his spirit guide. I have spent years of dedication, meditating, searching and learning about my totem. Spirit animals are very much an active belief and practice in my family. It is not a trendy saying. It is sacred. REMEMBER! Just because it doesn’t offend YOU, it doesn’t mean it isn’t offensive.

i love this^^^

And to all the nay-sayers who just cant understand why people are upset.... ok so you dont get it. That’s unfortunate, but you know what, that’s not the worst part. I can be forgiving of people not being able to understand, but you can still be empathetic or sympathetic . “I dont understand why this bothers you, please explain” or, “why does this bother you? I don’t understand but I’m sorry you feel that way”. Sounds less ignorant than, “it’s 2018 im going to tell you how to feel, you’re not allowed to feel upset about a brand not taking your religious and spiritual beliefs seriously even though it’s something I Know nothing about”

seriously.. Like this is getting ridiculous now... let people live. does it really bother you that much. I wear Indian made jewelry and I a white Italian practice some of their spiritual practices. I'm a liberal and I say this is ridiculous.. that means something..

You don’t get to decide if something is offensive or not if you don’t belong to that minority.

Re: “Spirit Animal” bag... haven’t we all agreed not to do this??

I love it March bag so much! People are taking things so seriously.. every single detail is a reason for a long debate. I know there are a lot of things to change in the world, but life is simple and short. Well, I'm sorry if this is offensive, but it's just my opinion.

I am agree. in the life is by itself already drama for us...

I am agree. in the life is by itself already drama for us instead of making more drama.

honestly, i don’t understand why you would get upset over other cultures that are not your own. i’m pretty sure that if there was symbolism regarding your own culture, it wouldn’t bug you at all. yes, it is 2018, but we are supposed to be getting better at accepting our differences.put yourself i. everyone else’s shoes for a change— you will probably be surprised.

Lol No. that’s not how it works. You don’t get to tell someone else what matters to them or how they should feel. Educate yourself before you start ranting about issues you clearly know nothing about.

well i don’t recall saying that what i said matters to everyone. i am just expressing my opinion and how i feel. i apologize if you don’t like how i feel, and i have no intention in offending you or hurting you emotionally. i felt that i was given the opportunity to express how i felt, so i did. i don’t see anything wrong with that. i will continue to express my opinions in the least offensive way in the future. thank you.

Hi Everyone, 

We appreciate the time you have taken to express your concern. We are sorry for any offense this bag may have caused. The PLAY! by Sephora approach to beauty is always meant to be inclusive and we would never intend to offend. Please accept our sincere apology on this matter and be assured that we take all feedback seriously and will definitely keep this in mind as we move forward.

Best Regards,

❤️ Raquel 

RE: Re: “Spirit Animal” bag... haven’t we all agreed not to do this??

I LOVED that bag because my spirit animal is a bat. I really don’t see how people can complain Tell them to chill

I just cancelled my beauty box because of the "Beauty is my spirit animal" bag I received.  I'm native american, my mom grown and raised on the reservation, and I couldn't believe how insensitive this was.  mocking and belittling my race and all i wanted to do was sample beauty products.  

well this is ridiculousness. I'm a liberal and I believe...

well this is ridiculousness. I'm a liberal and I believe that is a true statement. I am so sorry you take this sooooo to heart. it is a beauty bag. Like you're serious.... I cannot.

RE: Re: “Spirit Animal” bag... haven’t we all agreed not to do this??

Seriously??? Sounds like you are just trying to find something petty to complain about! Hopefully you cancelling your subscription frees up any wait list and allows someone (who won’t have petty complaints) the opportunity to join Sephora Play. And BTW- I am Native American!!!

I'm shocked. I cannot believe Sephora would do this after the backlash other cosmetic companies have received. I might not be so upset if the products in the box weren't awful, the customer service I recieved wasnt so horrible, and they didn't LITERALLY spell it using stereotypical Native symbols like that fricken arrow?! I wouldn't normally take it so seriously but I'm beginning to feel personally attacked, haha. Not cool.

lol youre serious. you guys are too much.

lol youre serious. you guys are too much.
Anonymous Insider

I was both grossed out at the cultural appropriation and lack of quality in this month's bag. After making an "Ew, how do insensitive people not listen to Native Americans when they say 'don't steal and then misuse our terminology, please.'" face, I opened the bag to find...sunscreen. In March. Given that most sunscreens have an expiration date on them, and given that I won't be able to use this one until the earth faces the sun again in 2-3 months, this bag just bummed me out on multiple levels. I've cancelled my Play subscription, and I hope that Sephora does more then "take my concerns seriously." A donation to the Native American Defense Fund and some company-sponsored training for your marketing department on cultural sensitivity and appropriation would be a good start. 

Anonymous Insider

For real. Been thinking about downsizing the subscriptions I get monthly. This made my decision to scratch Sephora off the list an easy one.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
testing