Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in PLAY! by SEPHORA
|

MAY SNEAK PEEK!

To celebrate two years of PLAY! by SEPHORA, we filled your May box with the best of the best products, AKA #BeautyGoals.

Ready for your spoiler?

Your box will have one of the following products: Kat Von D Tattoo Liner, Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed Highlighter in Champagne Pop, or Benefit Cosmetics The POREfessional Face Primer.

https://www.sephora.com/product/tattoo-liner-P245205

https://www.sephora.com/product/shimmering-skin-perfector-pressed-P381176?skuId=1721240&icid2=produc...

https://www.sephora.com/product/the-porefessional-face-primer-P264900

Re: MAY SNEAK PEEK!

What I meant by customer inappropriate was an item that is obviously not going to work based on the info in the person's profile. Super dry skin? Here's a peel that will dry your skin into leather! Really curly hair? Here's a wave cream to bring some extra curl into your life! Very fair skin? Here's a medium foundation! The bizarre selections have to be a combination of running out of samples and "oops" moments, but they're irritating. The ad you just posted shows what Sephora promises: "stellar," "handpicked" products, not "whatever's in the leftovers bin because we couldn't be bothered." 

With that said, if there's some tip or trick for how I can get better products or at least not ones what go straight into the trash, I'm all ears. I've messed with my profile, but nothing seems to change, and the tiny tubes of boring, basic, black mascara and unusable, heavy hair goop just keep coming.

That inattention to customer interest is what really irritates me -- yes, obviously, we are not going to get all makeup that always works for us all the time. I'm well aware that Sephora does other lines of business and that a sample box is going to contain a sampling of said lines. But look at the reviews -- people get annoyed by the obvious unconcern for the customer in the skin and hair-care sections, but the makeup is what makes or breaks the box. Few people are coming on here to gripe about not getting that one moisturizer sample; they're mad about the makeup because that's what people actually care about and subscribe for. If the makeup's awful AND the skin products clearly show that you just filled out your beauty profile for giggles because nobody cares? That's a bad vibe for a company to send.

If Sephora can't figure out a way to make their profile algorithm work for us and them, the Play box may vanish because it won't generate any actual revenue from people buying the products they've tried. And unfortunately, while there are a lot of really nice face creams/shampoos/exfoliators/whatever that we might get samples for, it's the makeup that generates the interest and hype for this box. If Sephora won't stop sending boring items, that's not going to hold people's interest.

I do agree with you that there needs to be more variety. I was so excited to get UD's pink holographic lip gloss the other month because it's rare to get something so colorful and fun. Most of the lip colors I received in the last year are reds. I would suggest selling unused unwanted Play items as I sold my KVD eyeliner this month for $11 which was more than the whole box cost and I didn't want it anyway (seriously how many felt tipped eyeliners are there?). The box is called play because it's supposed to be fun and not everything is going to be perfect but it's still cheap and fun to get every month.

Was really looking forward to trying these and I didn't get any of these items in my box 😞 Not only that, but you sent me a hair product for curly hair when I have/wear mine straight? This month was a huge disappointment. Do you even read the beauty quizzes? I think next month is going to be the last of Sephora Play. I have 3 subscription boxes and this is the only one where the total number of products I have kept is less than what I pay.

I had two damaged products in my box and I wasn't impressed with the hair product. I think it's frustrating to hear you received something for curly hair that I didn't. I'm always looking for new curly hair products too. 

RE: MAY SNEAK PEEK!

Thanks, Sephora. I literally got nothing new in my box. Not even different items within the same brand. Hey look another Marc Jacobs mascara in Velvet Noir Major. My first one was an exploded dud, so at least this one was useable, I guess? Hey, look, another KVD black tattoo eyeliner. I get it, it’s her #1 and I love her, but now I have like four. All the sample eyeliners are in black, so now I have like twenty. The same Chloé parfum! Nice. The same DevaCurl hair gel... didn’t use the last one. Prob never will. Happy anniversary? You guys say you base it on my profile but every foundation I’ve gotten is too dark, lipsticks are colors I’ve never and will never buy, and I literally have a bag full of parfum I will never put on. I’ve bought the same scent profiles from you for years. Literally. Whatever profile you are basing your boxes on needs some serious revamping. A simple algorithm should be able to rule out products already sent, sampled, or purchased. There are hundreds to choose from... how can you keep getting it all wrong? 🤕 Oh, and none of the samples I pick when I actually order something online come to me. I always get random crap I either didn’t want or already have. The samples I picked were the ones I wanted. During the Christmas season I didn’t get some of my purchased items and got no samples at all, not even the wrong ones, just nothing. It’s frustrating. What happened to you guys Sephora?

Cool, Sephora. Now I have about 8 liquid eyeliners you can have back.

Anonymous Insider

everywhere

Mine was broken too!
Anonymous Insider

Mine was broken too. 😕
Anonymous Insider

i have same issue with you

Re: RE: MAY SNEAK PEEK!

@Anonymous,

I am sorry to hear this and I am going to send you a message shortly.

❤️ Melissa

MAY SNEAK PEEK!

This is the first time my box has been a real dud. My Becca was a mess like everyone else. How many masks do I need? I have thick wavy hair, don't send me hair thickening spray! And this is the second time I've gotten the sickeningly sweet Flowerbomb perfume. I expect better from Sephora. And my birthday is next week.

@mvicki,

I am really sorry to hear about your box and I am going to send you a message momentarily!

❤️ Melissa

Mine was broken too!

@carcarly,

I am going to send you a message!

❤️ Melissa

It’s already been taken care of.. thank you

Anonymous Insider

WooHoo! Received the Becca highlighter I wanted sooooo bad (or is it badly)? It was intact and I was super happy about it. I have fine, thin, fragile hair and am keeping away from the blow dryer so I was happy to read in the pamphlet that the B&B thickening spray could be used if you are air drying your hair. I will try that tomorrow. Already used up the mask. At first I wasn't thrilled because I prefer sheet masks but my face texture was better after the mask. Received a couple repeats but I saw they were putting in popular products for the 2 yr anniversary so I figured there would be repeats (I've been a subscriber since the first box). I do hope we receive new, recently released items in the future though. 

What is going on with the new Play!dates? I had to miss the April (4th or 5th?) one because I was out of town and I never received an invitation for May, then the pamphlet mentioned Play!dates would happen every few months?!? Anyone been to a new revamped Play!date or know how the new system works?

SO MANY REPEATS! Seriously almost everything in this box I’ve received in a previous Play box. I think the whole idea of the box is to try NEW products! So much for the theme of two year anniversary- you should have sent all new products to everyone. What a huge disappointment!!!
Anonymous Insider

MAY SNEAK PEEK!

Thank you sephora. This is my second box and I'm loving it. 😘💄

MAY SNEAK PEEK!

I am very disappointed in the May play box! I literally got everything I've received before and the Caudalié moisturizing sorbet lotion bottle.... IS EMPTY THERE IS NO LOTION IN THE BOTTLE. I am completely confused on why an empty bottle would be sent to me, also I never received one of the special items they mentioned that would be sent in the boxes. I'm very very disappointed and unhappy with the MayPlayBox!😠 if there is something that can be done to fix this I would love to know. I don't pay monthly for empty bottles or receiving the same items every box. Thank you! I still love Sephora! 😍

I would have loved to have received the selection you got.    sigh......

2 Replies
testing