Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin
|

oily skin is SO annoying

hi sisters! so i don’t think my skin is like insanely oily but whenever i put on makeup which i’d say is about 95% of the time i get crazy oily very fast. i’ve taken recommendations from some oily skin youtubers but none of them work. i mean it isn’t like the most oil in the world but whatever primer i try it NEVER works. here’s some examples of primers and foundations that quite a few super oily youtubers swear by: Becca ever-matte primer, rimmel stay matte primer, smash box pore filling primer, too faced born this way foundation, MUFE skin velvet matte foundation or smth, fenty beauty foundation, maybelline superstay and fit me matte & poreless foundation, estée lauder double wear foundation, ok i think you get the idea. anyway if anyone could help me would this it would be VERY very very appreciated. thank you!

Re: oily skin is SO annoying

@jaimers05  Oily skin is best dealt with through skincare. What's your current routine? Do you have particular products you're using in the mornings and evenings?

@quspork @jaimers05 @sockmagnet, this is so true! I also thought I had oily skin but I was actually stripping out too much oil in my routine, making my skin produce more oil. I also think one's diet and regular exercise can make a big difference.

Agreed, @pocketvenus. Genetics and overall well-being do absolutely affect your skin, but having a quality skincare routine works wonders as well. I've finally managed to get both my acne and oil under control after years of struggling by finding the skincare steps and products that work for me. 

@pocketvenus I agree! I have oily skin and I had acne from middle school through college and hyperpigmentation. I went to an esthetician in college and she told me my skin is reacting to what I was eating. Once I changed that my skin started to clear up. I also use products with charcoal and I exfoliate to help with my oily skin. 

RE: Re: oily skin is SO annoying

i’m honestly not a huge believer in skincare. i feel like most skin concerns (wrinkles, dark circles, skin types, etc.) come from genetics. my dads skin is INSANELY oily and that’s where i believe i got it. i might be wrong though and i’m definitely open to any ideas. but i completely believe in keeping your skin clean. all i do for skin care is i use a makeup wipe first to get the to layer of my makeup off, then i cleanse my face, then i use witch hazel as a toner, then the clean and clear dual action moisturizer. thank you so much for the idea! i’ll look into it and see if i maybe need to change up my skincare😊

Re: RE: Re: oily skin is SO annoying

@jaimers05 while a lot is going to be genetics, it honestly sounds to me like your current skin care routine isn't the best. I have had oily skin since I went through puberty and was obsessed with keeping it 'clean' which ultimately meant that I forced my skin to constantly increase the amount of sebum that it produced, making me oilier and oilier and making my acne worse. My suggestions would be as follows:

• switch to an oil based cleanser (I love the Deep Cleanse from Tatcha)
  • ditch the witch hazel (reserve it for on the spot treatment for acne)
  • switch to an essence toner (e.g. galactomyces tone balancing essence from COSRX)
  • use a light gel moisturiser 

Hey! I have combo so I know the struggle! Maybe it's not your primer; maybe it's your foundation, setting powder or finishing spray. Check out some foundation videos Sephora has on youtube: they're pretty helpful! I can't remember the name of the one I watched where I learned that it's not always your primer, but it can be a range of other things. Hope this was helpful!

RE: Re: oily skin is SO annoying

thank you so much! definitely will look into that💕
8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing