Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin
|

oily finish after applying foundation

okay soooo i've been wondering what the heck to do when i finish applying my foundation and use the urban decay all nighter setting spray; after finishing my makeup routine, my skin looks soooo shiny and oily. i don't use any setting powder but i use a mattifying primer before using foundation. i also use a damp beauty blender to apply foundation. any products to recommend? 

Re: oily finish after applying foundation

@mbcollette What foundation do you use? Not all of them are compatible with oily skin or are matte. You may just need to add a setting powder. You may need better skincare. It's hard to say without more information.

i use the bounce liquid whip long wear foundation. i wash my face every morning and use an oil-free moisturizer 

Ah, yeah, @mbcollette this foundation is a natural-finish foundation, so you won't really get a matte look without following it up with a setting powder. Are you exfoliating regularly? That can also help keep oil down. 

i dont normally use exfoliator on my face, sometimes it can be too harsh, but i can try to find a soft one and start doing that. i'm planning on buying a powder soon as well

You may want to try a chemical exfoliator instead of a physical one because you're right- many are overly harsh. If you do want to stick with a physical one, I love Clarins One-Step Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser with Orange Extract 1.7 oz. A few gentle chemical options to consider might be First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads 28 Pads, AMOREPACIFIC Treatment Enzyme Peel Mini 0.7 oz/ 20 g, or a salicylic acid serum. @mbcollette 🙂

@mbcollette do you use the Ultra Matte version of the Urban Decay setting spray? I recommend that one. It's stronger for oily skin.

i'll try it!

@mbcollette @This could be your foundation and not setting your makeup with a setting powder.  Is your foundation a matte one? For powders you can set with Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder Translucent 

Hi @mbcollette!

The most important step is skincare and prep.  Make sure you're using the correct products for your skin type.

A basic routine is cleanser, toner, serum, moisturizer, and sunscreen during the day.  Using the right products will give you a great base to work on.  If you have oily skin, make sure to use hydrating skincare products.  Oily skin is really just skin that's dehydrated.  Drinking plenty of water helps too!

Blotting your face after sunscreen and after foundation/concealer will help remove oils.  Blot your face after foundation/concealer and then apply translucent setting powder on top to avoid a cakey look.

You can carry blotting papers with you and use them whenever you need to.

Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder Translucent  pressed into the areas of your skin that get oily using the same damp beauty blender you used for foundation will help both set your makeup and keep oil at bay.  

Dip the beauty blender into some powder and using the powdered side press it into your skin using bounce and press motions. Then flip the beauty blender around to the side without powder and Do the same to melt the powder into your skin using what little moisture is left in the sponge.  

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing