Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin
|

help with oily skin

i have such an oily skin around my T area ive had a few face washes but it still not working. what can i possibly try ?

Re: help with oily skin

@lala651  What's your entire skincare routine (brand + product names)? 

My oily zone is on and around my nose; that's where my visible pores are, and that area can quickly become a grease puddle. Thanks to genetics, I can't completely stop that area from producing more oil than the rest of my face. (Eh, some of us simply have more active sebaceous glands than others.) But here's how I control it: 

Spoiler

Hydrate oily skin - Whenever my oily zone's dehydrated, it produces more oil than usual. That's my skin trying to use sebum as a hydrator. What my skin really needs is more hydration. My favorite hydration method is to apply humectants (ingredients that attract moisture) to damp skin. Good humectants include hyaluronic acid, PCA, polyglutamic acid, trehalose, urea, peptides, aloe vera, and honey. One of my favorite humectant-heavy products is The Ordinary Buffet Anti-Aging Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL : I use it on my whole face and neck most mornings. 

Apply moisturizer while skin's damp - This helps seal in hydration. During warm weather, my oily zone (and the rest of my face) likes lightweight moisturizers, especially Paula's Choice CLEAR Oil-Free Moisturizer. Other lightweight options to consider are dimethicone-based moisturizers like CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion or CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion (can be used day or night). My favorite moisturizer for cooler weather is Vanicream Daily Facial Moisturizer, which is squalane-based. In the summer, that Vanicream moisturizer makes my oily zone feel greasy, but it's great the rest of the year for my whole face. 

Use sunscreen instead of moisturizer - You should use sunscreen daily anyway, all year long. But this summer, I mostly skipped AM moisturizers and just used my sunscreen as a moisturizer. I made sure to use a sunscreen that had at least one good moisturizing ingredient, like Supergoop! Mini Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 20 mL (dimethicone and shea butter). Once the weather cools off, I'll have to go back to layering a true moisturizer under my sunscreen. 

Try niacinamide for oil control - Niacinamide can do several good things for skin, including oil management (but not oil elimination). It might already be in most of your skincare products, so check the ingredient lists. You can try a standalone niacinamide serum like The Ordinary 10% Niacinamide, Paula's Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster, or The INKEY List Niacinamide Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL. I like Good Molecules Niacinamide Brightening Toner a lot: it contains 3% niacinamide plus other good ingredients for my particular skin. 

Clay masking - This won't stop your pores from producing oil throughout the day, but clay masks can absorb excess oil. I apply a rinse-off clay mask just to my oily zone once a week or so. My favorites are Origins Clear Improvement™ Active Charcoal Face Mask to Clear Pores 2.5 oz/ 75 mL , The INKEY List Kaolin Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 mL , and Paula's Choice Pore Clarifying Charcoal Gel Mask. 

If your cleanser's too harsh (leaves your face feeling dry, stripped, and/or tight), it might make your skin overproduce oil to "correct" that dryness. That's partly why I asked what skincare products you currently used: some of your existing products might be working against your skin. 

Re: help with oily skin

@lala651   I don't think there is any product that can reduce the oil your skin produces, which is due to your own body chemistry and hormones.

I have read that sometimes skin over-produces oil because it's too dry, so, believe it or not, a mild moisturizer might help.  I notice this with my own skin (my forehead specifically,) and I'm way past the age of having regular acne.

Along with a moisturizer, you might also like to use a toner to make sure you are cleansing your skin well.

Here are a few suggestions out of the many available here on Sephora:

Tatcha Oil-Free Pore-Perfecting Duo 

innisfree Balancing Toner with Green Tea 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing