Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Oily Skin

foundation for oily and acne prone skin

Hello! So I am 15 and am struggling with extremely oily skin as well as constant breakouts. I want a foundation which will look and feel natural, but offer enough coverage and oil control since it is difficult to touch up during the school day. I am currently using Clinque acne solutions but don't like it becuase halfway through the day, it gets oily and begins to slide off my face. Please help with any suggestions!

Re: foundation for oily and acne prone skin

I haven't experienced any dryness with Murad's products. I use the Time Release Acne Cleanser in the morning and the Soothing Gel Cleanser in the evening. I'm not sure if using the acne cleanser twice a day would dry my skin out or not, but I don't think it would because it's very gentle.

I think Murad will work great for you, especially since you mentioned you have large whiteheads. Those are much easier to treat and get rid of than cystic acne!

Highlighted

I'm 20 years old and I've had oily skin and breakouts since I was in fourth grade. It sucks a lot. I use a lot of different things at the moment to get my oily skin to stay shine-free all day. Firstly, i have a Clarsonic Mia Cleanser. Did WONDERS for my breakouts. I use two moisturizers. One is Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel for oily/combination skin. Clinique skincare is a little on the pricey side, but let me tell you this moisturizer is completely worth every penny. One bottle has lasted me over a year, and my sister used it at one point too. I'm still on the same bottle. You only need a little dab to cover each area of your face.
The other moisturizer i use is Murad's Oil Control Mattifier with spf 15. Added with the clinique, i have no problems with oily skin for literally twelve hours or more.
The foundation I use is MakeUp Forever Matt Velvet. Best make up for anti-shine. Buildable coverage, long-wearing, and it's really true to the name. it feels like velvet on my skin. dont need a lot to cover my whole face. it doesn't feel heavy, and it looks EXTREMELY natural. like youre not even wearing make up, but still provides AMAZING coverage. love it.

Thank you! I definitley need to check those out! Have you tried any other foundations with a lot of success? I am definitley planning on trying the matte velvet but have you tried any of the laura mericer, the tarte amizonian clay, or the bobbi brown foundations? These are others I was considering and wanted to know if you had an opinion on them at all! 

Try the Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation, you will love the creamy texture! I also use Boscia's No Shine TZone Treatment underneath (can double as a primer or you can use another as well) and occasionally spritz with UD setting spray, although I usually forget this step!

Have you tried mineral foundations such as Bare Minerals?

I have not because im afraid that it would fall off my face. But do you like it? I have heard of a lot of people that love mineral foundations so they would be great to look in to!

Hey Maddierose30! I know how you feel! I have very oily skin and asked a similar question a month or so ago. I was recommended changing my skin care routine, not necessarily my foundation. So far my skin is definitely becoming more manageable but still trying to find the right combo. Murad Oil-Control Mattifier SPF moisturizer is pretty amazing! Then try using a primer, that'll really help the lasting power of your foundation. I'm using Tarte's Amazonian Clay, but use it in very small amounts! This is a foundation you’ll want to use a stippling/buffing brush with. I recommend a cheap but GREAT brush like the Real Techniques stippling brush. And the item that’s made a HUGE difference for me is the Tarte Smooth Operator Micronized Clay Finishing Powder over everything. You just need a very light dusting and it make my face flawless and smooth. My face is far less oily by mid day and I just have to apply another small amount of the Finishing Powder towards the end of my day and I’m set. This is WAY different from just a month ago when I was having makeup melt down by lunch time. Also make sure to wash your makeup off EVERY NIGHT. It makes such a gigantic difference. I can definitely tell the difference in my skin when I'm being a bit lazy and when I'm sticking to my skin care routine. Hope this helps! Have a good day! Smiley Happy

I was going to try the Smooth Operator today when I was at Sephora, but they were all out. Definitely picking it up next time Smiley Happy

Oh darn!! Yes, I definitely love that stuff. Besides the skin care regimen, I feel like that was one of the big game changers in my routine. I hope you like it!

Your routine sounds great! Have you had any success with the murad acne line? Has it helped to greatley reduce your breakouts?

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors