Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin
|

Troublesome Skin

Hey guys, so i’ve bwen having problems with my face since i can remember. it’s VERY oily and when i say very, i mean that after 20 minutes of doing my makeup, there’s already a layer of oil there. My face is also acne prone, but not terrible. it seems i almost always have a zit or two on my face though. My skin tone is also very uneven and blotchy probably due to the oil, i’m not sure. I was my face twice a day with cerave oil control foaming wash. In the mornings i use aczone from my dermatologist and then moisturize with neautragena with spf. At night i use the same wash, and use retina from the derm and then moisturize with the cerave night moisturizer. I’m honestly so tired of my skin and i’m really looking for help on maybe things i’m doing wrong or products that will ACTUALLY work. please help, thank you!!

Troublesome Skin

I use origins zero oil face wash and love it for my oily skin.

Re: Troublesome Skin

@HaleyRae98

I'd almost hazard a guess that the Aczone and/or Retin-A are drying you out, causing your skin to produce *more* oil.

As a counter-intuitive suggestion, I'll recommend adding a facial oil to your routine. Adding a touch of oil can help balance your skin and slow down your production of it. Adding an essence or other light-but-hydrating items can help add some extra moisture as well.

I will also recommend that you avoid anything with denatured/sd-alcohol...it makes your oil production worse over time. I don't see any in your current routine, but it's something to mindful of, always. 

I don't know which Neutrogena moisturizer you are using, so I can't comment on it specifically, but Neutro has a spotty record...some of their items are excellent, but many aren't. It may be time to find a new SPF. Your CeraVe items are excellent products, so I'd work on finding a replacement for Neutro before messing with them. Perhaps a new moisturizer and a good oil will be all the changes you need to start getting things under control. Good luck! 

Do you have any moisturizer and/or oil recommendations? 

@HaleyRae98

I see the other items are drugstore buys, so I assume that's the budget? In line with that, you might look into CeraVe for a daily moisturizer with SPF. I also like Garnier Moisture Bomb (but it doesn't have sunscreen, so you'd need a separate one. I like CoTz and Bare Republic, both of which are relatively reasonably priced at Ulta and I'd assume at other retailers as well)

Facial oil, I like SW Basics, which I believe is available at Target as well as Ulta. $28 IIRC, but you are literally using 2-3 drops at a time...it will last practically forever. My other faves are a bit more expensive, but worth a look if you can score some samples:

Tarte Maracuja

Clarins Lotus Oil

Julep Boost Your Radiance 

@HaleyRae98

Hi there! So I have acne prone skin and a pretty oily t-zone too. What I have found helps is using the salicylic acid treatment by The Ordinary all over every morning and night, toning with the Zero Oil toner by Origins, and using the Boscia White Charcoal Treatment primer. I also carry around blotting sheets for touch ups on the fly. You should see if you can get samples of these products from your local Sephora and update me on if they work out for you, and I hope they do!

https://theordinary.com/product/rdn-salicylic-acid-2pct-solution-30ml?redir=1

https://www.sephora.com/product/zero-oil-pore-purifying-toner-P297544?skuId=1375989&icid2=products%2...

https://www.sephora.com/product/porfecting-white-charcoal-mattifying-treatment-primer-P415942?skuId=...

https://www.sephora.com/product/blotting-papers-P414705?skuId=1416494&icid2=products%20grid:p414705

Thank you so much!!

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing