From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin

Primer, Setting powder and setting spray?

Hey y’all, what primers, setting powders and setting sprays do you use? I’m always looking to try new things and products that can make my skin and makeup look better. It’s sucks when your makeup is melting after 5 minutes you’ve done it. I’m currently using cover fx blurring primer and kat von d lock it foundation, they work good for me. What y’all use to set your makeup and hold the oil? I’m open for tips even for other products.

Re: Primer, Setting powder and setting spray?

Hi @bebecss,

I agree with i've been obsessed with the Tatcha The Silk Canvas Protective Primer 0.7 oz/ 20 g. A little goes a long way and truly blurs and also controls my oil. If you're looking for a matte primer I recommend the ERBORIAN - Extra Matte Ultra Mattifying Primer, it's such a pretty color and also helps my oil stay at bay throughout the day. My holy grail loose setting powder has quickly become the Hourglass Veil™ Translucent Setting Powder - Talc Free Translucent, it helps my makeup stay in place all day and even hours later it still looks as nice as when I first applied my makeup. 🙂

-Helen

The best oil control I have had is from the HOURGLASS - Veil Mineral PrimerI tried lots of oil control primers with no luck, but that one kept me matte.  The LAURA MERCIER - Translucent Loose Setting Powder is great as well. Seal it all in with URBAN DECAY - All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray  I find I can skip the powder if I use the primer.  It's pricey, but worth it.

On days when I'm feeling more oily, or in summer when I want to limit the shine, I reach for either the BECCA - Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfectoror Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer Standard Size - 1 oz/ 30 mL.If I'm dehydrated or if my rosacea is flaring and I don't want to emphasize my skin's texture, I'll go with FIRST AID BEAUTY - Hello FAB Coconut Skin Smoothie Priming Moisturizer.All of those play well with my preferred foundation. 

I rarely use setting sprays because so many of them have denatured alcohol, which is an absolute no-no for rosacea. MAC Fix+ is definitely the best one I've found. The Hourglass Veil™ Translucent Setting Powder - Talc Free Translucentis fantastic, but again, I use it rarely. The Coty Airspun is a decent drugstore option, but I just can't get past the smell. Reminds me of my grandma 😛

Just so you know, Mac Fix + is not a setting spray. It's a refresher or a mist to help powders melt into your skin, or other options like helping eyeshadow look extra sexy but that's it. It doesn't help set your makeup.

Bareminerals actually work really well

Hi @bebecss ! My 3 favorites primers are : Tatcha The Silk Canvas Protective Primer 0.7 oz/ 20 git really creates a smooth silky base for your makeup. It's pricy but you don't need a lot, so it will last you forever. Hourglass N° 28 Primer Serum 1 oz/ 30 mLalso pricy, but it's my top primer when my skin is dry, so it's perfect for winter weather. Plus it's a serum so it's skincare and makeup at the same time. I'm also in love with the BECCA - Backlight Priming Filter Face Primer. It's perfect if you want a glow from within, looks gorgeous under makeup and makes me look dewy but not oily.

My favorite loose setting powder is of course the LAURA MERCIER - Translucent Loose Setting Powder - Translucentit's a game changer and it helps control my oils. It's great for baking too and set your concealer. My ultimate favorite pressed powder is the CHARLOTTE TILBURY - Airbrush Flawless Finish Setting Powderyou can reapply as much as you want and still look flawless. To set all of this, i can only recommend the Urban Decay All Nighter Waterproof Makeup Setting Spray Standard Size - 4 oz/ 118 mLit's a must have and it increases the longevity of my makeup. I use it as a last step of my makeup routine.

@bebecss My favorite primer is Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer Standard Size - 1 oz/ 30 mL. It just makes my foundation look flawless and keeps any oils at bay. I can’t get enough of Maybelline FitMe Loose Powder. I have sooo many setting powders (Even La Mer) and I still reach for Maybelline more than any of them. For setting sprays, my favorite will always be Gerard Cosmetics Slay All Day. It just works. 

RE: Primer, Setting powder and setting spray?

DO NOT USE THE TOO FACED TRUST ME IT DOES NOT WORK. I use airspun setting powder I got it at Walmart for six dollars it’s also sold at CVS and I use the IT cosmetics loose poreless powder it’s not that great tbh but if your not super oily it could work for you and setting sprays I use urban decay oil control setting spray

I use the TOO FACED - Primed & Poreless Pressed Powderas both a primer and setting powder. This stuff is amazing.

@bebecss

Primer-YVES SAINT LAURENT - Touche Eclat Blur Primer

Setting powder-HOURGLASS - Veil™ Translucent Setting Powder and CHARLOTTE TILBURY - Airbrush Flawless Finish Setting Powder

Setting Spray- Morphe Setting Spray and MAC Fix+

To control my Oily T-Zone I use MAC Skin Refine Zone

I really like to use MAC prep + prime fix+ to set and i like the LAURA MERCIER - Foundation Primer - Radiance Minifor a primer. I really like a glowy finish and i feel like these products help me achieve that!

Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 15 Hearts Given
  • 13 Contributors
testing