Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin
|

Oily dehydrated

Hello I’m a little confused about what to use. I have oily dehydrated skin with large pores blackheads and I get shiny I used to use oily skin products and then that dehydrates me so I get more oil. I use hydrating cleanser moisturizer acid spritz need something else?? Help

Oily dehydrated

I have the same problem as you. Very oily skin and then I think I'm moisturizing but it dries out my skin and it actually hurts, then I have a bigger oil problem. I use Mary Kay skin care products and they have been blessing! I believe this skin care regime has helped me significantly with wearing makeup. However, I'm just now finding products that help with all day wear. The pics I took are my skin care regime and they are the travel size since I'm on business travel. You can obviously get bigger sizes if you decided this route. I hope this helps!

Re: Oily dehydrated

Hi @goddess82!

For my oily skin, I use either the Cetaphil cleanser for normal to oily skin or the Youth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser 8 oz / 237 ml.  They're great for getting rid of oils and my skin doesn't feel dry after.  I wash my face with cold water to help shrink pores and use a cold jade roller after all my skincare products.  In the summer, I like to rub an ice cube on my face!

You should exfoliate to get rid of blackheads and dead skin cells.  I use the CLINIQUE Blackhead Solutions 7 Day Deep Pore Cleanse & Face Scrub 4.2 oz/ 125 mL which can also be used as a mask.

Toner was a huge game changer for me.  I use it day and night and it helps keep oils away for most of the day.

I just ordered the The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 2 oz/ 60 mL which is supposed to help with pores.  I can't wait to try it!

For oily skin, it's best to use a lightweight or gel moisturizer like the Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 m....

What specific products are you using, @goddess82?

RE: Re: Oily dehydrated

I forgot the sunscreen I do use that

RE: Re: Oily dehydrated

I use hydro boost cleansing gel from neutrogena some times Murad aha bha cleanser. Ren tonic, Dennis gross c collagen serum, just started Kate somerville squalane hyaluronic serum, Murad hydro dynamic moisturize, first aid retinol and their aha serum and La Roche-Posay toleriane ultra 8

Re: RE: Re: Oily dehydrated

I'm going to go ahead and agree with @meou @goddess82. You've got a lot of actives going on and that can unfortunately lead to irritation and continued skin issues. Most people really only need to exfoliate a few times a week, so I'd consider scaling way back on what your currently using. Also, I didn't see a sunscreen in your list? That's extremely important given the retinol and exfoliators that you've been using. Not using a sunscreen puts your skin at risk for more sun damage given how these products react with skin. That said, in addition to switching out some of your current actives for a BHA product, I'd strongly encourage you to try double cleansing with an oil cleanser before the cleansing gel to help clean out your pores and keep the blackheads from forming. You'd be amazed at what that process can achieve. 

Re: RE: Re: Oily dehydrated

I'm thinking your oil production might actually be caused by underhydration and maybe over exfoliation? 

Some small tweaks that might help 

I think the Kate Somerville Hyaluronic Serum should also help out since its a hydrater so maybe wait a couple weeks to see how that impacts and make changes slowly so you don't shock your skin. 

Check out Youtuber Robert Welsh, especially his video titled How To Prep Oily Skin for Makeup from June 17, 2020.  He is a makeup artist and talks about this particular issue.  Hope it helps! @goddess82 

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
Photos2
testing