Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin
|

Oily Skincare Routine

Hey y’all! I desperately need some help. I need to create a skincare routine for day and night and I want to try new products than your regular drug store products. With oily skin in Florida I know I need a toner, moisturizer, serum, and more(idk the other part lol). If I could get  a few recommendations on some products that would be great! Thank you!💗

Re: Oily Skincare Routine

@Brianaray I have oily skin as well. This is what I use in order.

1. GLAMGLOW SUPERCLEANSE™ Clearing Cream-to-Foam Cleanser 
  2. GLAMGLOW SUPERMUD® Charcoal Instant Treatment Mask 3.5 oz/ 100 g 
  3. GLAMGLOW SUPERTONER™ Exfoliating Acid Solution Toner 
  4. GLAMGLOW SUPERSERUM™ 6-Acid Refining Treatment Serum 
  5. Lastly, I mix SEPHORA COLLECTION Clear Skin Days by Sephora Collection Mattifying Booster Powder with Tatcha The Water Cream Oil-Free Pore Minimizing Moisturizer 1.7 oz / 50 mL

The powder mixes with a moisturizer to keep your face from getting oily again and it soothes sensitive skin. It gives a cooling tingle.

Thank you so much this helps!

Also I need help in what order do you go in for both day and night and how do you know if you should wash off or keep on another product before using another. Sorry I know this must be a dumb question😩

@Brianaray To start, just build a basic routine:

Morning:

-wash with water-based cleanser OR just rinse with water

-moisturize 

-sunscreen

(wash off the cleanser, but keep on the moisturizer and sunscreen)

Evening:

-oil-cleanse, if desired (put the oil on a dry face, massage, rinse with water)

-water-based cleanser

-moisturizer

(wash of the cleanser, but keep on the moisturizer)

Once you've found products for those steps that work for you, you'll be ready to tackle other steps!

Super helpful thank you!

@Brianaray They are no dumb questions! 💕 

Day ☀️

1. Cleanser! 

2. Toner

3. Moisturizer 💧

4. SPF (some moisturizers have sunscreen in them, so in that case you could just use that)

5. Spot treatement

Night 🌙

1. Cleanser (after removing makeup)

2. Mask! You can use face masks 1-2 times a week

3. Toner

4. Moisturizer. I would also like to say that some people like to use more than one moisturizer! The SEPHORA COLLECTION All Day Hydrator - Hydrate & Glow 1.69oz/ 50mL is AMAZING!!!

5. Spot treatement

I hope this is helpful! Have a wonderful rest of your day ❤️ Please let me know if you have any other questions, I'm so happy to help! Also, if you choose to use a serum/face oil, you can use it before the moisturizer.

Thank you so much this truly helped! Any recommendations for spot treatment?

@Brianaray yes! I love Proactiv Emergency Blemish Relief ! 😊

@Brianaray I'm so happy I could help! Let me know if there is anything else I can do! 🙂

hi @Brianaray ! I love Kate Somerville EradiKate Daily Cleanser 4 oz/ 120 mL . It is SO gentle, yet effective! 🙂 I would also suggest Kiehl's Since 1851 Ultra Facial Oil-Free Toner 8.4 oz/ 250 ml , and Glow Recipe Watermelon Pink Juice Oil-Free Moisturizer 2 oz/ 60 mL I hope this helps 🙂

Thank you will check these out!

@Brianaray Are you starting from scratch or have you been using some products already? You'll want to have the basics in place before adding treatments, like salicylic acid, so you don't irritate or damage your skin. Also what skin issues do you want to target? Are you just looking to combat oiliness or are there other things like acne, dullness, clogged pores, etc?

Yes starting from starch I wanna target oiliness and a few acne bumps and dark spots. Also want to have a clean feeling face.

@Brianaray Great! If you're just starting out, you'll want to get a really good base routine down before moving on to treatments (toners, serums, masks, etc). For that routine, you'll need cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen. I also highly recommend trying out double cleansing in the evening to help remove sunscreen and makeup and make sure your pores stay clean. This involves using an oil-based cleanser (my personal favorite is Shiseido Perfect Cleansing Oil w/ Grape Seed Oil 6 oz/ 180 mL but The Face Shop Rice Water Bright Light one is good too if you don't mind the fragrance) and then following that with a gentle cream, gel, or milk cleanser. My recommendations for that would be to check out philosophy Purity Made Simple, First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser 8 oz/ 237 mL, or Youth To The People Mini Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser 2 oz/ 59 mL. Double cleansing is typically only done at night. You can choose to use the second cleanser in the a.m. or just rinse with water (that's what I prefer). 

After cleansing, both a.m. and p.m., you'll want to moisturize. Oily skin typically fares better with gels as opposed to heavier creams. Some options for those: CosRx Oil-Free Moisturizing Lotion (my favorite for daytime usage), Benton Snail Bee High Content Steam Cream, belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb 1.68 oz/ 50 mL, Caudalie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet Mini 0.66 oz/ 20 mL, OLEHENRIKSEN Sheer Transformation® Perfecting Moisturizer 0.5 oz/ 15 mL, or Kate Somerville Goat Milk Moisturizing Cream 1.7 oz/ 50 mL. Sunscreen is super important to work into your morning routine as it helps protect your skin, especially once you start incorporating treatments as they can often make your skin more susceptible to sun damage. I love MDSolarSciences Mineral Crème Broad Spectrum SPF 50 UVA-UVB Sunscreen 1.7 oz and also Coola sunscreens, in particular COOLA Mineral Sun Silk Crème SPF 30 1.5 oz/ 44 mL

After you have that basic routine, you can look at incorporating targeted treatments. Clay masks are great for using once a week or so to help control oil. Hydrating toners and serums are also wonderful for balancing out oil. BHA/salicylic acid can be a good addition to help with acne. And vitamin C (preferably in ascorbic acid form) is wonderful for brightening dark spots. 

Thank you so much this was supper helpful!

Hi @Brianaray!

The basic skincare routine is cleanser, toner, serum, moisturizer, and sunscreen during the day.  You can also take into consideration any skin concerns you have and that will help you choose which serums to buy.

I live in dry California but these are the products that work well for my oily skin:

The cleanser I use is Cetaphil for normal to oily skin.  It's clinically proven to deep clean pores and while it gets rid of face oils, it doesn't strip my skin.

I use OLEHENRIKSEN Balancing Force™ Oil Control Toner 6.5 oz/ 193 mL to control oils.  It can be drying for some people and it was for me in the beginning but it works well for me now!

For serum, I recommend a hydrating one.  Oily skin is just really dehydrated skin so if you don't hydrate your skin and body, your face will over produce oils in order to compensate.  Drinking water helps with hydration as well.

You can layer serums to treat other skin concerns you have like acne, dark spots, pores, etc.  I use Sunday Riley U.F.O. Salicylic Acid BHA Treatment Face Oil 0.5 oz/ 15 mL to treat acne and oils.

For moisturizer, use one that is gel or lightweight and oil free/ non-comedogenic.  My favorite is Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 m....  It helps with anti-aging and the hyaluronic acid helps hydrate my skin.

Sunscreen is a must!  A popular sunscreen is Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 1.7 oz/ 50 mL.  It wears well under makeup or on its own.  The best part is that not only does it protect against UV rays, but also from harmful blue light that comes from computer and phones!

Thank you this helps a lot!

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 23 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing