Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin
|

NOTHING helps my oily skin!

I’ve tried just about everything. I’ve tried just about every mattifying primer, setting sprays, setting powders and foundation and within 2 hours it melts off my face. I’ve tried all the cult favorites like Mac, UD, Coverfx, Lancôme, Kat Von D, tarte, Becca, Dior, Laura Mercier, Clinique, hare minerals, Milk, Sunday Riley. I’ve tried toners, essences, gentle ph balancing cleaners, serums, light moisturizers. Makeup around my nose and mouth melt off within 1 hour no matter what. My forehead and nose look like I was sprayed down with a hose of grease 30 mins after using a blotting paper or shine control powder. Makeup completely separates and melts off my entire face within 4 hours. My skin is red (I’ve tried every anti redness product too just about) with acne scars so not wearing makeup isn’t a great option. I’ve been to the dermatologist and they just tell me I will age slower - ha! My wrinkles are another issue. Am I missing something? I love makeup and am so sad I can’t find my holy grails

RE: NOTHING helps my oily skin!

I’ve had similar issues with my skin/oiliness just eating up my makeup. First, switching up my skincare game helped make my oiliness more manageable. I use a salicylic acid cleanser, a pH balanced toner (klairs supple preparation facial toner), and a 20% vitamin c serum at night (cosrx & sokoglam collab). The belief aqua bomb moisturizer is great, but I find the laniege water bank hydrating gel works better as a matte base for makeup. Second, finding the right combo of products for my makeup routine did the trick for me. I start with the hourglass mineral veil primer and typically use the fenty foundation - it’s literally the only foundation that if/when any oiliness peeks through, it just looks like a healthy glow. I powder on the LM translucent setting powder on my t-zone and use a barely damp beauty blender to press it in. Then I seal it all in with the UD de-slick setting spray. This is literally the only routine that i’ve found to make my make up last for +12 hrs. Literally life changing for me. Hope this helps & you find your own secret recipe!

Re: NOTHING helps my oily skin!

What is your current skincare routine?

See a dermatologist tazorac(similar to retin A) has done wonders for my acne, scarring and decreasing my oil production. Its a chemical exfoliator and its also used for anti aging. I also use becca ever matte primer in my tzone and smoothing primer on my cheek scars. estee lauder doublewear is amazing and stays put but because I have some pitting and its not so smoothing I mix with the new too faced soft matte foundation which is amazing for textured skin ( but not enough coverage). This foundation also controls oils like you wouldn't believe. 

hope this helps, I know the struggle

I use the Tazorac cream prescribed by my dermatologist, a...

I use the Tazorac cream prescribed by my dermatologist, and it has worked wonders I have only one or two pimples a month. But this last time I got it back in March it started to dry out my face all over, where when I was wearing make up my face started peeling everywhere and my make up looked horrible!! Even not wearing make up my face was super dry Which is odd for me because I have super oily skin. I was wondering if you had the same results! Thanks for taking the time to read!!

Re: I use the Tazorac cream prescribed by my dermatologist, a...

Did you stop then restart tazorac? I only had the flacking, burning and dryness when I first starting using it, but my skin has adjusted. I have been using differn and tazorac for 10yrs now. Find a good moisturizer that's oil free and take days off the tazorac(1 day on 1 off ect). Also there are milder dorms of retin A you could try with less side efffects speak to your dermatologist. Tazorac is the strongest form, from what I understand.

I have a couple suggestion. Have you tried the Clinique clarifying lotion 4? This is a toner that you put on after washing your face in the morning to control shine, it works super well for me! Also make sure you are moisturizing every night after you take off your makeup and wash your face. If you do not moisturize your skin will produce more oil to try and compensate. Another thing is are you exfoliating? I find using a tool like the luna mini (my personal favorite) will help the dead skin cells and build up come off causing less oil and smaller looking pores. I would also recommend trying a mask or exfoliating peel once a week. I adore the Peter Thomas Roth firma peel gel. I use it once a week at night after I remove my makeup and wash my face. So much dead skin comes off my face when using it and my skin feels amazing afterwards!

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing