Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin

It's gotta be true, dairy makes my skin so oily

I need to share this if you haven't read enough about how eliminating dairy improves skin. Well, I have too, but it also must make your body overproduce oil for some reason. 

RE: It's gotta be true, dairy makes my skin so oily

I’ve literally decided last night I’m DONE WITH DAIRY! It’s a huge trigger for people struggling with oily skin and acne! Thank you for your post!!!

Re: It's gotta be true, dairy makes my skin so oily

@Jbird1999 I’m not sure about dipairy causing excessive oil but I do now it can contribute to the acne. When I took my tween daughter to dermatologist for her acne, the first thing he suggested was to reduce the dairy intake in her diet and it helped her a lot ( ofcourse along with regular use of prescriptions ointments) .

@fatimamummyfatimamummy,

Well I'm glad you found a good dermatologist for your daughter! What a good mom! It really is an sucky thing to have and i'm glad to hear her regimen is working for her. Did she notice any reduction in oil after eliminating dairy? I just had been eating a ton of yogurt and really noticed a difference in oil on my skin. Another kind Beauty Insider had reported that exercise and drinking lots of water (because your skin is dehydrated, it produces more oil) is helpful, too. Just passing this along! Thank you for reading! 

@Jbird1999 Even though she is acne prone but her skin isn’t / wasn’t oily. It is pretty normal and tends to get dry if she doesn’t apply moisturizer properly. She drinks lots of water though. The whole routine is working pretty well for her. You can imagine how distressing it could be for a child to get acne at 10 when none of her friends had it but early intervention is the key and I’m glad we didn’t wait too long to get proper treatment.

@fatimamummy

Thank you for the feedback. I can totally relate to when my acne cropped up about then and how my friends teased me terribly. So trust me, I know that, especially given her friends don't have it (yet) she may experience some ridicule. But it's not her fault! Adolescence is a difficult time and I hope her the best! Again, I praise you as a mother attentive to helping your daughter find treatment. I have one other piece of information that I would like to pass along. When I was working and then going straight to the gym to work out, my chest, back and arms broke out! It was humiliating. I finally, after trial and error, found a product that is a miracle for me. Murad Acne Body Wash. This contains salicylic acid and I've tried everything from other products with this ingredient, Benzyl Peroxide, and others I think with sulfur from a dermatologist. Nothing worked! It took some time to clear up, but Murad's Acne Body Wash is worth it's price of $40. It's a pretty large bottle. But let me get to the point. It also has licorice root extract in it and this has been proven to clear up scarring. I believe this ingredient has saved my life! I have no remaining scars and the acne is gone. So if she happens to have body acne or if she is worried about scarring, I suggest a product with licorice root extract. You may already know this or considering her regimen is working for her, you may not be interested, but I can't say enough about this product. Murad Acne Body Wash 8.5 oz

Thank you @Jbird1999 She doesn’t have body acne at this point but I have added this body wash into my Sephora love list just in case she needs it in future. I really appreciate your suggestions 🙂

@fatimamummy

Sorry for the late reply, email got lost in my inbox! I appreciate you valuing my judgement and you are most welcome - glad to share!. Glad to hear she's not dealing with this as well. I looked for a facial product containing the licorice root extract that I believe helped with scarring that is in the body wash in a facial product. The closest matching ingredients (salycilic acid and glycolic acid) was in the Murad Outsmart Acne Clarifying Treatment 1.7 oz/ 50 mL. Just for your reference!

Hi @Jbird1999

I've heard of this and maybe that's one reason I have oily skin (I love cheese and chocolate, lol).

If you're producing more oils, I suggest you use a good moisturizer, exercise, and drink lots of water.

Your body will produce more oils when your skin is not hydrated enough.  It is the body's way of trying to keep your skin moisturized.

Happy Halloween RAWRitsRED,

Thanks for the reply, and the information. I have a whole post written down and prepared for trying to simplify skin care, but I always like to give my posts a personal touch and maybe it's too personal to talk about the type of acne I couldn't get rid of. I think it started when I was using this particular face scrub and I tried everything! Finally, for the most part my acne, which wasn't visible unless up close (blocked pores, but whiteheads deep in the skin) is gone. I found out it's caused by calcium the skin produces mixing with oil in the skin. I do a lot to keep my skin healthy now and I will take in your advice about drinking more water! But I thought hmmmm maybe that's nothing something I want to say to the public!

@RAWRitsRED

Sorry I didn't properly address you in my reply. I kinda new at this so I apologize. Again, thank you for your advice and reading my post. I love the feedback!

Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing