Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin
|

In Need of Skincare Solution ASAP!

I've tried pretty much everything to clear up my skin and it just keeps making things worse. I have oily sensitive skin with pretty persistent acne. I have tried proactive (years ago, did not go well), every drugstore option, FAB cleanser, murad, kate somerville, etc. and so far nothing has worked. If anything my texture and acne is worse. Any recommendations? 

RE: In Need of Skincare Solution ASAP!

I had terrible oily and prone skin since puberty and at the ripe age of 26 I decided to try Isotertin [aka Accutane]. I was only on it for 3.5 months due to side effects but it still made a huge difference. I don't get cystic acne anymore and while I still get oily I don't look like I rubbed pizza grease all over my face anymore. I would recommend trying it out if you can but be warned... it is very expensive. I spent 300 per month. As another note the side effects that I had went away within a month after stopping treatment. I have also included some before and after pictures so you can see the difference. I hope this was of some help!!!

Re: In Need of Skincare Solution ASAP!

I would recommend getting to a dermatologist if you can, it may be nothing you're doing. Especially if you have cystic acne, and if you're old enough where puberty is not a good reason for it.

Anonymous Insider

I had a very similar problem. What helped me was actually getting a full microdermabrasion facial to help clear my pores and remove dead skin cells. After awhile especially when you've used too many products your pores are just so clogged that products just cannot break through the underlying issue with the skin. Since then I've been able to stick to a single cleaner and moisturizer and my skin has been less prone to breakouts and dryness.

Differin really is a great product. One night sleeping in...

Differin really is a great product. One night sleeping in that, next night ultra repair cream by First Aid Beauty. Keeps your oils balanced and controlled. I take amoxicillin which was huge but adding the other regimens was total game changer.

Chemical exfoliants--AHA or BHA--have worked really well for me. 

The Sunday Riley Saturn Sulfur Acne Treatment mask! Treat...

The Sunday Riley Saturn Sulfur Acne Treatment mask! Treats acne rosacea, inflammatory acne, hormonal acne and acne caused by clogged pores. 10% sulfur, has tea tree oil, zinc (boost radiance, keeps excess oil at bay and calms redness), and hydrating oils so the tea tree doesn't dry you out.

I started using curology at the start of the summer and it has been working great to clear up my skin, probably the best product I've ever used. they customize lotion/treatment depending on your photos and quiz. I just use a cleanser  in the morning, then I use a moisturizer with a high SPF  and At night  I wash my face before bed and apply the curology.  there is a 30-day free trial so it's worth giving it a shot. I did get a little-irritated skin at first, (but i think  i was putting a little too much on.) (also they may give you a different formula)  I stuck with it and my face doesn't get irritated from it at all now.  I don't break out anymore. if you want try it to see if it work for you !! here is a linkhttps://curology.com/invite/YUJOLOB   I also have used Sephora masks and great as well here and there 

Make sure you are using a good cleanser not to foamy or sudsy since those can strip your skin from the oil it needs and dry it out. Try the Korres greek yogurt cleanser. Even though it says foaming cleanser on the bottle it actually has a creamy non sudsy consistency and it wont leave your skin feeling tight and dry. Also give Differin gel a try. It is now available over the counter in drugstores...been using it for 2 months/daily and it has worked on my acne prone skin. Exfoliate with an acid like Dr. Dennis Gross or Drunk Elephant. Retinoids are amazing for acne prone skin and for anti aging...consult your dermatologist to see if a prescription strength retinoid will work better for your complexion.
Anonymous Insider

Try using the Clarisonic deep pore cleanser. its a bit pricey but worth every penny.

Anonymous Insider

i've recently tried the dr gross alpha beta extra strength daily peel i had some very stubborn acne after a terrible breakout i had and although it's expensive its definitely a good product. it has cleared a lot of my acne and texture. imo 2-3 5-day treatments should work to help u stabilize your skin and be able to map out a good routine. i've also heard that AHA and BHA [from paula's choice specifically] help with acne and acne scars. but if uve tried all types of *ingredients* then u should probably consider a dermatologist and follow through with an aesthetician

Mario Badescu Buffering Lotion has helped me get rid of my pimples! It has kept my face super smooth, and got results in less than two weeks.

I've tried many things over the past ten years. What has worked the best for me has been 1. using an acid [i use either drunk elephant TLC framboos or p50 1970 or Sunday Riley Good Genes] 2. Differin Gel - this is what i think has improved my skin the most with daily consistent use. I would absolutely recommend giving this a fair shot for at least 3 months. 3. A face oil. My fav is Sunday Riley Juno 4. Good ol' moisturizer. Whatever works best for you! I love Clinique moisture surge. Again.. the differin gel has changed the overall texture of my skin immensely. It has been especially effective at controlling my acne. However.. having a solid skincare routine is also a big contributing factor.

What items are you currently using in your routine? Also, have you considered going to a dermatologist, since you've tried so many solutions that haven't worked for you?

13 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 14 Contributors
Photos2
testing