Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin

I don't know what to use for my oily skin

Hey guys,

So I have been having oily skin for awhile. My morning routine goes like this: cleanser, moisturizer, and then foundation and powder. Without fail after an hour or so, my skin gets super oily. I use Tarte for my makeup. I have tried multiple mostierizers but still my skin is oily. I have tried Cetaphil, Tatcha, Olay, Clean & Clear and other drug store moisturizers but nothing helps. I know the reason I am so oily is because my skin is overcompensating because my skin must be dry. Does anyone have any products that work for them? I really want to fix this issue.

Thank you!

I don't know what to use for my oily skin

I used to have really bad oily skin and being from south Louisiana doesn't help things either. I first use a cleanser like derma doctor Aha/bha, or Bosica Charcoal cleanser, or drunk elephant beste, then tone with Sunday Riley Martian helps with oils and pores but my new favorite is by tarte....the Ringling knockout, then a gel based moisturizer like Belif Aqua Bomb or Peter Thomas Roth Cloud Drench. I use Vit C daily as well. your skin will continue to over produce oil because if you strip your face with products containing alcohol, witch hazal etc you will only be defeating the purpose. Peter Thomas Roth also makes a good serum that is the same line as hyaluronic acid moisturizer. I've also heard good things about the clinic moisture surge . the typical toners and astringents of our mothers time where made to remove excess of the thick cleanser that they used such as cold creams but we don't use those and cleanser have come along way. toners or lotions as some market today are more like treatments for your face. my pm skin care is the same expect I use drunk elephants Glycol TLC serum, Sunday Riley UFO oil depending on needs. dr. Jart Ceramidin Liquid also does wonder to trap in moisture.

Re: I don't know what to use for my oily skin

Hi @THISISETHAN I have oily skin as well and I have found that using products that contain charcoal have really helped such as the Boscia Luminizing Black Charcoal Mask and the Detoxifying Cleanser. It is also great to exfoliate your skin 2-3 times a week. If you are looking for foundation products as well, I am a fan of the Fenty Beauty Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Foundation. My skin does not look oily and the foundation blends very well with my skin. I hope these suggestions help!

https://www.sephora.com/product/luminizing-black-mask-P266800?skuId=1269455&icid2=products%20grid:p2...

https://www.sephora.com/product/detoxifying-black-cleanser-P302940?skuId=1393057&icid2=products%20gr...

https://www.sephora.com/product/pro-filtr-soft-matte-longwear-foundation-P87985432

The products I use to help my oily skin is a charcoal based cleanser (Biore), facial scrub/exfoliator (at least 3 times a week), face mask (1-2 times a week), toner (Dickensons 100% witch hazel) everyday/night, then a moisturizer (Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel by Clinique). My face use to be an oil slick but now the only part that gets oily is my nose bc i put a lot of moisturizer there because my nose is flaky so I need to find something to fix that. Hope this helped!

There are some other threads on the board that recommend different moisturizers for oily skin, so you can check those out, but aside from that I'd try adding in a hydrating serum and maybe some exfoliation to your routine. Is your evening routine the same as your morning?

One of my favorite hydrating serums is Goodal's Waterest Lasting Oil which you can get at Ulta. A good clay mask like Caudalie's Detox mask would be good to work in a couple evenings a week as well. 

To help with the makeup, have you tried using a primer under your foundation? 

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing