Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Oily Skin

Help!

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting because I'm so fed up and wanted some advice. I'm 25 years old with combination skin. Oily forehead and cheeks and dry around chin area. I've struggled with acne forever and tried everything. I keep getting acne on my cheeks. Also, just for context, I do have a hormonal imbalance and am taking bc for it. I wash, tone, and use moisturizer, but I notice later in the day that my cheeks are red and my face looks shiny and greasy with large pores on my cheeks.

Here's the deal: I have no idea what products to use and am overwhelmed whenever I look something up. Primers, bb creams, cc creams, mineral, matte...it's a foreign language to me. I was thinking about coming in for a consultation but I feel like an idiot b/c everyone my age seems to know what they're doing and I don't even know the basics!

Also I live in a humid region and was wondering about makeup routines. When it's so hot, how do you get your primer/foundation/everything else to stay on without your face looking like its melting! Helppp

Re: Help!

Never feel like you are alone in not knowing something!!!  There are new products coming out all the time so even if some of the ladies here know everything one day, in a few days there may be DD and EE creams and everyone is learning again!!  Go get your consultation girl!!!

@veritabelle and @peacefulseraph gave you great suggestions.  As far as skin care, though, you can get suggestions but everyone's skin is unique and you have to find your own combination of products that work for you.  Start out with the most gentle, basic products (like head to your drugstore and buy Cetaphil) and then add or change one product at a time.  Keep in mind that it takes about a month (30 days) for full skin cell turnover so if you are trying something and don't see results in the first few days, don't give up!!!  Unless you have an adverse reaction, try to stick it out for a month and then evaluate if it was helpful or not.

With red cheeks you may want to try one of the many redness solution products available on Sephora.  For the oiliness, make sure you do not over dry your skin, use and oil-free moisturizer (you can use a thicker moisturizer on your chin and other dry areas), and you may want to use a mattifier or a matte make up and/or keep some blotting papers handy.  Matte is for makeup what flat is for house paint, if that is any clarity at all!!!

I have sensitive combination skin that breaks out every chance it can get... but through trial and error, I've found a few products that calm my skin.

1) don't use products that contain sulfates, They irritate skin, and can dry out the skin. For a cleanser, use cleansing milk.

2) never use alcohol on your face. It over dries out your skin to the point it will produce excessive amounts of oil to restore what it lost. Use an oil free toner.

3) exfoliate at least 2x a week or the oil, dead skin and bacteria on your face will wreak havoc.

4) use oil free moisturizers, you don't need to look like a grease slick so go for lotions over creams. Sometimes I use tea tree oil in my breakout zones instead because it helps with acne.

Ultimately, the more drying the products you use are, the more oil your face will produce to replenish it. So try to use calming products that don't strip your skin and see if the redness and oil go away.

Now the secret to keeping everything in place in hot/humid climates.

1) use light moisturizing lotion/sunscreen and allow to dry for 10-15 min. Lightly wipe with a wet paper towel afterwards to get excess product off. Dry face.

2) put on primer. I use under eye, eyelid and face primers. Use setting spray on top of them and allow to dry 5 min. If you take a fan or put your hair dryer on cool you can speed up the process.

3) apply makeup with brushes vs. sponges so that you don't mess up your primer layer.

4) Use setting powder all over face to lock in wet products (foundation, concealer, etc.). Be liberal!

5) put all of your powder products on.

6) you can buy waterproof eyeliner- sephoras brand is good.

7) use setting spray again

8) there are even primers for mascaras out there, as well as extra waterproofing for lashes (Anastasia)- it goes onto any mascara and makes it waterproof. If you put tinted color on your brows, you can put some of it on that as well.

Nice waterproof products are:

Primers

Link: Smashbox Face Primer

Link: Smashbox Under Eye Primer

Link: Urban Decay Eyelid Primer>

Setting Sprays

Link: Urban Decay All Nighter

Mascara Waterproofer (goes over mascara)

Link: Anastasia Lash Genius

Waterproof Eyebrow Pencil

Link: Sephora Brow Pencil

Waterproof Eyeliner

Link: Sephora Eyeliner

Waterproof Bronzer

Link: Tarte Bronzer

Setting Powder

Link: Nars Powder

and use oil control blotting wipes before you add more setting/mattifying powder throughout the day.

Welcome to BeautyTalk! You are totally fine, I have friends who don't wear make up and friends who only know what lipsticks are and nothing else. What do you use to wash/tone/moisturize? If you are under the sun a lot then you need a good sunscreen.

Don't worry about the fancy stuff, you don't need all of it. Since you have acne and lives in a hot humid region (I used to live in TX), I would avoid piling on too much products. I suggest a tinted moisturizer to even out the redness, such as Laura Mercier or NARS. Then a mattifying powder (Clinique Stay Matte, Urban Decay...the purple compact) to apply just on the oily zone. When I'm in hot weather, I just wear my Laura Mercier TM, concealer on the pimple/red spots, powder on the oily areas and I'm done.

Lastly, if you are sweating, blot/press the towel/paper because if you wipe then you wipe off the makeup along with the sweat. You can also carry around oil-blotting paper to control the shiny areas, tho I usually just use toilet paper when I go to the bathroom.

Okay Clueless- I'll give you the tips I know. 

If you really have hormonal imbalance...you better be in for the long haul cause can be down right discouraging taking on hormonal acne.  I have the same issues, and have found that consistency is the best practice.  Which means sticking to the same routine-even when it gets rough.  

As far as make up goes- much easier to tackle with oily skin than tackling hormonal acne!  

Start with a primer/ mattifying foundation (oil free tinted moisture will work too)/finishing powder.  Choose a gel/cream blush and waterproof mascara.  Remember to only put finishing powder on the oily areas of your face.  I feel like when I put it all over it adds too much product to my face. 

Product suggestions-

Primer- Poreless and Flawless by Pixi

Foundation- Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet

Clinique Stay Matte Oil Free

Finishing Powder- MUFE Finishing Powder

Hope this helps!  However- if you want to research on your own, look for items that say Oil Free and offer a Matte (without oil) finish. 

Happy Shopping!

Thank you!

Are you looking for skin care or makeup advice?

Both, really

Hi!

I'm 25 and just started to get into makeup this year, so we're in the same boat.  If you go to a sephora when they're not busy (like a weekday morning), they will usually spend a lot of time explaining everything to you and showing you how to apply everything.  I've been several times just to ask 'stupid' questions.  They will also give you samples of primers and foundation or whatever if you ask.  

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors