Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin

Foundation for oily skin

What is the best way to wear foundation for super oily skin? Should you use a powder foundation only? Or would a liquid foundation with setting powder be better? Or liquid foundation with powder foundation over the top? 

Re: Foundation for oily skin

If possible, get samples from Sephora. Explain you need oil control and want to try with different primers/powders and they will give more than the usual allowed samples and more generous sample sizes.  In my experience, powder foundations emphasize enlarged pores. I prefer an oil control primer, foundation, setting powder (then I still have to blot and re-apply blotting powder). Matte foundations (like some recommend in the replies will emphasize enlarged pores, so primer is a must).

Agree you need to watch your skin care - use a pH balanced gentle cleanser (Skin Laundry makes a good one) and keep away from oil controling toners - they usually have skin irritating ingredients and witch hazel or alcohol which is drying.  You can have dehydrated and oily skin so make sure you include a serum to replenish hydration.

I remove makeup first with Simple Micellar water (drugstore), then use cleanser make sure all makeup and sunscreen is removed, apply a serum with hyaluronic acid (or derivative) - some have treatments that will also help with dark spots - then primer, foundation, setting powder and setting spray (UD De Slick or All Nighter are both fantastic).  If I'm going to be outside in heat and humidity, I sometimes spritz with De Slick before my primer.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your advice. I am now doing several things you mentioned and am finding that it is helping. What a valuable resource this is to be able to ask a question and get answers from more experienced people who are willing to share what helps them. Thanks for your time!

@elianasmama what's your skincare routine? Excess oil is usually caused by products stripping the skin of natural oils. Hence more oil to rebalance and moisturize itself.

I'm embarrassed to say... I wash my face with Dial handsoap : (  I know this is terrible , and just bought some Murad cleanser to try for oily skin. I've started to get age spots on my face this summer, which has made me look at my beauty habits and made me want to improve : )

@elianasmama If I used soap on my face, I would never be able to wear makeup because it would slide right off my oily skin 😂

Definitely ditch the soap and switch to a gentle cleanser instead. You’ll love the results 😊 My recommendation for a great oil-control product line is the Balance collection from Ole Henriksen. It comes in green packaging that looks like this:

8A9DD2F8-93B0-4A32-980D-3B0B212A6A6A.jpeg

I get sun spots, too, and the Ole Henriksen Cold Plunge Pore Mask has been improving them so much lately, plus tightening my pores. I really recommend that, too. 

C1CBCCB7-8BB0-429E-9361-E1B4C9C4CEE2.jpeg

Thanks for your recommendations.  I am now using the cleanser you mentioned and have a sample of the mask as well. I think my skin  has definitely improved with the changes I've made so far. Thanks for your help!

Yes that's the cause. Which Murad? A lot of times marketed for oily skin is drying. You do need a moisturizer as well and sunscreen or marks will get darker. Once your skin is balanced (will take some time to balance), foundation won't be a problem. Also depending on the cleanser, some don't break down makeup completely, so you may need a step before cleanser.

@elianasmama

I have the Murad Instamatte mask that says it can be used as a daily cleanser to control oil. I also bought the City Skin spf 50  and the age spot serum. I also have Olehenriksen toner and moisturizer that I'm going to start using again.

Personally, I wouldn't use that Murad as a daily cleanser. It's probably going to dry out the skin too much with daily usage. If the skin feels completely dry, with little oil to no oil, after cleansing it's too harsh. Instead I would use a gentler cleanser like philosophy purity made simple, then Murad every so often.

FWIW, I've used a philosophy mask+cleanser in one, seems similar concept to this Murad, but didn't use daily since of dryness for my then more oilier skin..now combo.

@elianasmama,

I would use a matte foundation and then just set the oily areas with a powder. I usually only get oily on my nose and my forehead and I end up just setting my powder in those areas only.

❤️ Melissa

Which foundation do you use? I have started using the maybeline fit me and I love it! I want to find some other matte options as well so I’d love some suggestions! (I’m same oily combo as you stated)

Thanks so much for your advice : ) 

RE: Foundation for oily skin

Estée Lauder Double Wear is my holy grail for oily skin! Hope you find what you’re looking for xx

Re: RE: Foundation for oily skin

I have read great reviews about this product. I think it's my next move. Thanks!

RE: Foundation for oily skin

You can use matte foundation then a translucent powder. I've been seeing people do powder first and put foundation on top. I recently started using becca ever matte foundation. It's amazing

Re: RE: Foundation for oily skin

I think I'll try that next. Thank you!

Wearing two foundations would be overkill! You can pick whether you want powder or liquid according to your preferences. Powder foundations work really well with oily skin. But liquid foundations can be just as good, once you find the right one for you. Using primer and setting powders or sprays can help lock it into place for the day. 

I've recently stopped doing this. Thanks for your advice. I'm going to try a new liquid foundation  and set it with setting powder. I'm hopefull this will change my life!!!

Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 15 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
Photos2
  • 8A9DD2F8-93B0-4A32-980D-3B0B212A6A6A.jpeg
  • C1CBCCB7-8BB0-429E-9361-E1B4C9C4CEE2.jpeg
testing